There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 6, #182, the San Francisco 49ers selects Ronald Johnson (WR) USC

While Ziggy has soft hands and is a pretty good route-runner, he lacks critical skills/abilities for this offense that will limit him from being anything other than a #6 WR, if that.

1. Very thin build - lacks strength in the blocking game. He's not terrible, but he's not good either.

2. Continuing on that point, lacks physicality to create separation either in getting open, or in battling for the pass, and will lose that battle to more physical corners, even if they're smaller than him.

3. Is not considered a deep threat, not a burner, and isn't going to scare any team into backing off because of speed. Combining his lack of strength and great speed, Zig is not a great RAC guy.

4. He doesn't bring the KR/PR value that Williams and Johnson do. And no, just because Sing put him there one time because we had no one else, that doesn't count.

Tack on all this to him coming off a season-ending injury and it just doesn't appear to be a great scenario for Zeigler. I don't think he'll beat out Johnson, and he'll have to compete likely with UDFA's being brought in too.

Johnson was a great value where we got him. He was known for his ability to get open, and make the spectacular catch. His problem was the wide-open, easy catches that he would drop due to a clear lack of concentration. Kid would've probably had close to 1000 yards if not for several drops when he was wide open deep down the field.
Originally posted by DENden223:
Reminds me of Arnaz Battle.

Yeah because Johnson played QB at USC???
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
i hope this doesn't mean we are done with Williams. I think he has a lot of potential, but was hurt for most of the season last year.

Willaims wont be going anywhere, as of now

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

Ziggy could be t he odd man out

Hope so, don't know what people see in him

the guy has world class hands and could be the best route runner on our team, just is not very fast or quick and is very thinly built

Ziggy is toast now that Jerry Sullivan is gone.

I dont know man, if you take blocking out of the equation, he may be better Morgan. The guy gets open and makes some nice catches.

when

It was just my general impression over the 2010 season. He didn't get the ball alot, but when he did he looked very good. If you want to know when, go back and watch the 2010 season games.

the qbs loved throwing him in 3rd down situations last year in TC the coaches used hima s an example in route runnint and MM said the same thing too and his hands are like glue

he just needs to gain more weight hes waaay to skinny

Didn't we suck on 3rd downs last year?
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
i hope this doesn't mean we are done with Williams. I think he has a lot of potential, but was hurt for most of the season last year.

Willaims wont be going anywhere, as of now

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

Ziggy could be t he odd man out

Hope so, don't know what people see in him

the guy has world class hands and could be the best route runner on our team, just is not very fast or quick and is very thinly built

Ziggy is toast now that Jerry Sullivan is gone.

I dont know man, if you take blocking out of the equation, he may be better Morgan. The guy gets open and makes some nice catches.

when

It was just my general impression over the 2010 season. He didn't get the ball alot, but when he did he looked very good. If you want to know when, go back and watch the 2010 season games.

the qbs loved throwing him in 3rd down situations last year in TC the coaches used hima s an example in route runnint and MM said the same thing too and his hands are like glue

he just needs to gain more weight hes waaay to skinny

Didn't we suck on 3rd downs last year?

i was talking about TC and preseason he got season ending injury
mattbarrows

Interesting Baalke tidbits from THUR film session: 1. The 49ers want special teams standout CJ Spillman to compete for a role at safety. A reason for drafting USC WR Ronald Johnson in 6th round is that both Josh Morgan & Ted Ginn are entering final contract years.
Originally posted by valrod33:
mattbarrows

Interesting Baalke tidbits from THUR film session: 1. The 49ers want special teams standout CJ Spillman to compete for a role at safety. A reason for drafting USC WR Ronald Johnson in 6th round is that both Josh Morgan & Ted Ginn are entering final contract years.

They see starter potential

Roy!
mattbarrows

alos Kyle Williams was hurt last year

Hopefully he brings this mentality!
mattbarrows

I think we will keep Morgan around, bye bye Ginn though
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
mattbarrows

i dunno we might keep him around for ST dutiese he is an outstanding return man (i believe top 3)

crabtree, morgan ,kyle williams , johnson, ginn

i see those 5 being our young WR corps of the future
fantastic article on johnson

and well worth the read

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/06/inside-the-49ers/rookie-wr-johnson-is-married-to-the-game/

has amazing work ethic i really think he can be a great #2 or 3 WR and create a huge mismatch problem he may even be a star i have been reading a lot of scouting reports on him today and if he works on his route running (dont stand up or slow down when running routes) and increase his size and frame he may even be a #1 WR

he has fantastic speed great hands and apparently work ethic that can rival jerry rice himself

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jun 8, 2011 at 19:27:24 ]
RO JO!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
mattbarrows

i dunno we might keep him around for ST dutiese he is an outstanding return man (i believe top 3)

crabtree, morgan ,kyle williams , johnson, ginn

i see those 5 being our young WR corps of the future

ginn is gonna have a hard time making this team. cant catch, run routes and isnt that big. i think in a precision offense a guy like zeigler is way more valuable than a speedster with no hands or height. ziggy is tall, has great hands, runs great routes and has decent speed. only knock on him is his build but he does all the receiver duties very well
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
RO JO!!!!!!!
i hope he can be a camp surprise with all the WR injuries. Harbaugh gave the man on- field praise in today's practice, caught the ball well.