LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Round 6, #182, the San Francisco 49ers selects Ronald Johnson (WR) USC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
runs good routes and has good hands but has slow timed speed. sounds like someone we all know and love. give the kid a chance
The thing with williams is that he has the ability to be smooth and fast, he has explosive speed from a slower pace. Williams can take a slant and get YAC.

Ginn may have 40 yard timed speed, but watching him on the field is another story, it takes him time to get upto speed, he is not as fluid or explosive as Williams. I think that Ginn will have the most to prove this offseason, especially on ST with a healthy Williams, Hunter, and Culliver.
As long as he's better than Rashaun Woods, I'll be happy.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
As long as he's better than Rashaun Woods, I'll be happy.

It doesn't take much to be better than Woods lol
Originally posted by susweel:
We need some speedy WRs, our WRs dont scare anybody.

I like speed but Biletnikoff and Dwight Clark weren't exactly burners. In the WCO the emphasis is on route precision and speading the ball around. Harbaugh's teams use movement and playcalling to put the D on their heels and then the precise passing game cuts them to ribbons, or the power running game bowls them over...or both!

Looking forward to Johnson teaching Crabtree the benefit of proper route running!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 2, 2011 at 17:30:21 ]
I hope he's not another Jason Hill who was supposed be our fastest WR.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
i hope this doesn't mean we are done with Williams. I think he has a lot of potential, but was hurt for most of the season last year.

Willaims wont be going anywhere, as of now

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

Ziggy could be t he odd man out

Hope so, don't know what people see in him

the guy has world class hands and could be the best route runner on our team, just is not very fast or quick and is very thinly built

Ziggy is toast now that Jerry Sullivan is gone.

I dont know man, if you take blocking out of the equation, he may be better Morgan. The guy gets open and makes some nice catches.

when
Originally posted by RonMexico:
i hope this doesn't mean we are done with Williams. I think he has a lot of potential, but was hurt for most of the season last year.

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

the guy has world class hands and could be the best route runner on our team, just is not very fast or quick and is very thinly built

I dont know man, if you take blocking out of the equation, he may be better Morgan. The guy gets open and makes some nice catches.

when

scout team legend, Dominique Zeigler
Originally posted by DENden223:
Reminds me of Arnaz Battle.

I think, that too!
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

when

scout team legend, Dominique Zeigler

lol

-9fA

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

when

It was just my general impression over the 2010 season. He didn't get the ball alot, but when he did he looked very good. If you want to know when, go back and watch the 2010 season games.

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

when

It was just my general impression over the 2010 season. He didn't get the ball alot, but when he did he looked very good. If you want to know when, go back and watch the 2010 season games.

the qbs loved throwing him in 3rd down situations last year in TC the coaches used hima s an example in route runnint and MM said the same thing too and his hands are like glue

he just needs to gain more weight hes waaay to skinny
While Ziggy has soft hands and is a pretty good route-runner, he lacks critical skills/abilities for this offense that will limit him from being anything other than a #6 WR, if that.

1. Very thin build - lacks strength in the blocking game. He's not terrible, but he's not good either.

2. Continuing on that point, lacks physicality to create separation either in getting open, or in battling for the pass, and will lose that battle to more physical corners, even if they're smaller than him.

3. Is not considered a deep threat, not a burner, and isn't going to scare any team into backing off because of speed. Combining his lack of strength and great speed, Zig is not a great RAC guy.

4. He doesn't bring the KR/PR value that Williams and Johnson do. And no, just because Sing put him there one time because we had no one else, that doesn't count.

Tack on all this to him coming off a season-ending injury and it just doesn't appear to be a great scenario for Zeigler. I don't think he'll beat out Johnson, and he'll have to compete likely with UDFA's being brought in too.

Johnson was a great value where we got him. He was known for his ability to get open, and make the spectacular catch. His problem was the wide-open, easy catches that he would drop due to a clear lack of concentration. Kid would've probably had close to 1000 yards if not for several drops when he was wide open deep down the field.
Originally posted by DENden223:
Reminds me of Arnaz Battle.

Yeah because Johnson played QB at USC???
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Crabs
Morgan
Ginn
Williams
Ziggy
Johnson

when

the qbs loved throwing him in 3rd down situations last year in TC the coaches used hima s an example in route runnint and MM said the same thing too and his hands are like glue

he just needs to gain more weight hes waaay to skinny

Didn't we suck on 3rd downs last year?
Share 49ersWebzone