LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Round 4, #118, the San Francisco 49ers selects Kendall Hunter (RB) Oklahoma St.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice.....I think Hunter is a good, but not great runner. He and LMJ should be a good team once Gore steps away. I think Hunter is much more of a straigh ahead runner than a slash and burn guy like sproles. In fact, other than size I dont think he's anything like Sproles. He's much more like a MJD, who is a North/South runner.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM ]
I agree, hunter is not a shake N bake back. He's a one cut, get up field, runner and he makes that one cut real quick. He is also hard to bring down due to his low center of gravity and powerful legs.He routinely runs through arm tackles and will bounce off defenders and keep going forward if he isn't wrapped up. Very excited to see what our running game looks like this year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Nice.....I think Hunter is a good, but not great runner. He and LMJ should be a good team once Gore steps away. I think Hunter is much more of a straigh ahead runner than a slash and burn guy like sproles. In fact, other than size I dont think he's anything like Sproles. He's much more like a MJD, who is a North/South runner.

Oak! You got me thinking...I added highlight reels for all three players above to see how each are used (sneak peak for 2012?) ^.

It appears to me that we have a coaching staff that gets today's NFL (Sorry Singletary/Raye). That said, it looks like we're evolving into more of a wide-open, maybe even a hybrid Spread-WCO this year. We've added speed in Moss, Jenkins, Mario coupled with VD & even Ginn. We'll have Crabtree underneath free and clean. Now we add electric backs in Hunter AND LMJ to a punishing Gore for inside runs. If the OL can hold up and Alex can continue to progress, we could be looking at a dynamic offense with RAC weapons at every key skill position.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Oak! You got me thinking...I added highlight reels for all three players above to see how each are used (sneak peak for 2012?) ^.

It appears to me that we have a coaching staff that gets today's NFL (Sorry Singletary/Raye). That said, it looks like we're evolving into more of a wide-open, maybe even a hybrid Spread-WCO this year. We've added speed in Moss, Jenkins, Mario coupled with VD & even Ginn. We'll have Crabtree underneath free and clean. Now we add electric backs in Hunter AND LMJ to a punishing Gore for inside runs. If the OL can hold up and Alex can continue to progress, we could be looking at a dynamic offense with RAC weapons at every key skill position.

You paint a beautiful picture, my man......
Originally posted by KegBert:
I agree, hunter is not a shake N bake back. He's a one cut, get up field, runner and he makes that one cut real quick. He is also hard to bring down due to his low center of gravity and powerful legs.He routinely runs through arm tackles and will bounce off defenders and keep going forward if he isn't wrapped up. Very excited to see what our running game looks like this year.

LMJ & Hunter = The poor mans Sproles and MJD backfield.

Ok, now I'm dreaming.....

Hunter reminds me of a smaller Clinton Portis back when he was younger and still in Denver. A guy who looked like he was the shake and bake type of RB but in reality just made his one cut and go so fast that defenders couldnt react in time.

There is one negative I saw with Hunter last year and it will be gone over time... typically with rookie RB's there are two types, the guys who think they are still in college and try to dance behind the line of scrimmage until a hole opens up (See Dixon) or the guys who have not had the game slow down for them yet and try to run full speed into holes that may or may not be there without trusting the play to develop, which is Hunter. Once Hunter learns to anticipate where the holes will be on each play (probably over this offseason) his running style will make him a very productive back in the mold of a smaller MJD.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Hunter reminds me of a smaller Clinton Portis back when he was younger and still in Denver. A guy who looked like he was the shake and bake type of RB but in reality just made his one cut and go so fast that defenders couldnt react in time.

There is one negative I saw with Hunter last year and it will be gone over time... typically with rookie RB's there are two types, the guys who think they are still in college and try to dance behind the line of scrimmage until a hole opens up (See Dixon) or the guys who have not had the game slow down for them yet and try to run full speed into holes that may or may not be there without trusting the play to develop, which is Hunter. Once Hunter learns to anticipate where the holes will be on each play (probably over this offseason) his running style will make him a very productive back in the mold of a smaller MJD.
In a few years gore will retire or leave and we will have to beasts in Hunter and James...Or a three headed monster. I actually hope this year we can split the touches up pretty fairly if James looks good. We will have a fresh bad ass rb every point of the game.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Very nice assessment!
Steal of this draft

He can also block pretty good.

He is definitely the heir-apparent to supplant Gore whenever Gore is done. LMJ will be a gadget-play guy.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I rmember being more pumped about getting Hunter then any of our other draft picks. He has the chance to be great.
I like this guy alot but I don't know wtf is is about him but he gets tripped up so easily.
I hope this cat has a huge role in the offense this year. Maybe ten carries a game or more. He has looked great in preseason after a solid rookie year. Fast and powerful. I think his height benefits him hiding in those holes. He is stronger than most people think. Looking forward to seeing this kid develop this year.
Sometimes he looks like the best RB on the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone