CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

Big reach for a very average player with below average character.

Well then you must be right, and the people at cbssports, S.I., our scouting dept., the people that picked him as an All-SEC, the people who thought enough to include him as a Preseason All-American must all be wrong. Thanks for clarifiying that.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who's a huge South Carolina fan, and even he was laughing at this pick.

Well, then. Let's fire Baalke. You and your best friend can take over. Cause the 49ers apparently don't know what they're doing.

I dont mean to be a cynical dick, but when in the last 8 years have the 49ers shown that they have any idea of what they're doing?

Well considering Baalke is a new GM, Harbaugh is a New HC, and Jed York seems like he's not like his dad and actually wants to win, then why don't we cut them some slate? It's new personnel. Why be so negative to guys who are trying to get us back to being winners?

Baalke has the same philosophy as Scot McCloughan and picks the same type of players. Harbaugh is a good coach and I have faith in the guy, but he is mainly a QB guru. Jed did what he had to to get Harbaugh so he gets props for that. But at the end of the day its not like we overhauled the FO, we just changed Baalke's title and a lot of the same scouts and execs are currently working for the team. I actually like Aldon Smith and I'm willing to give Kaep a shot, but I gotta be honest. I thought trading back and picking Culliver when you could've had Leonard Hankerson or Jurrell Casey at 75 or whatever pick we were at was a stupid decision. Culliver was a guy most teams had as a 4th or 5th most likely, and we spend a 3rd on him and pass on 2 better players? That is definitely a head scratcher for me.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Culliver sucks as a third rounder. I've followed this kid since he was playing high school ball in North Carolina, and he's never lived up to the hype. He certainly has track speed, but he's never done anything with it. On top of that, he has a questionable attitude for sure.

You must not have been following him very closely:

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.

You make some good points. The only counter is, obviously a bunch of people who do this for a living have a difference of opinion than you do on this kid. I'd love to believe you over them, but I'm not going to.

And a bunch of people who do this for a living thought Cody Wallace was worth a 4th round pick, that Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers, that Taylor Mays would make a great safety, that Kentwan Balmer was going to be a staple on our line for the next 5-10 years(part of that FO is still here btw...), Chilo was going to be a beastly mauling guard, decided to ignore someone like Jerry Rice and picked Chilo over DeSean Jackson, etc. Just because we have been paying these guys doesnt mean they've gotten us great results or even know what they're doing compared to their peers.

Oh your one of those people . Got you. Still sad huh? Well considering that was all Scot McCloughan and Nolan. Those 2 aren't with us anymore. Stop living in the past. It's new people.

Quote:
Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in kickoff returns (94) and kickoff return yards (2,215)... the 2,215 yards ranks fifth all-time in the SEC.

To be 5th all-time in the SEC in ANY category is pretty impressive, especially if you consider the athletes/playmakers that the conference produces year after year. He was a WR/KR his freshman year, a safety his soph/junior years and a CB his senior year. That's a lot of moving around he's doing, which makes for some inconsistency in his production (I would think). Still, he crushed it in terms of the one thing he did consistently...kick off returns.

If by "crushing it" you mean "never scored on a return of any kind", then I agree. He piled up a bunch of yardage on returns because that's all he consistently did for four years. He never did it spectacularly; he was just their best option while he was there. SCAR's return teams have sucked for a while now. He's all speed and ZERO instinct, which is why he never housed a single return in 94 tries. Seriously, that's pathetic.

I've watched the dude since he was in high school. He's a garbage pick in the third round. Sixth round, OK. Third round is a joke.

You make some good points. The only counter is, obviously a bunch of people who do this for a living have a difference of opinion than you do on this kid. I'd love to believe you over them, but I'm not going to.

And a bunch of people who do this for a living thought Cody Wallace was worth a 4th round pick, that Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers, that Taylor Mays would make a great safety, that Kentwan Balmer was going to be a staple on our line for the next 5-10 years(part of that FO is still here btw...), Chilo was going to be a beastly mauling guard, decided to ignore someone like Jerry Rice and picked Chilo over DeSean Jackson, etc. Just because we have been paying these guys doesnt mean they've gotten us great results or even know what they're doing compared to their peers.

Oh your one of those people . Got you. Still sad huh? Well considering that was all Scot McCloughan and Nolan. Those 2 aren't with us anymore. Stop living in the past. It's new people.

lol I am really not one of "those people". Picking Crabtree I was hyped, picking Davis and Iupati I understood(although I didnt like the trade up), picking Josh Morgan I liked for a late round pick, etc. Every year I predict this team to go above .500 for no reason other than I take a homeristic view of the players. But I also am not going to make excuses for them when they pick a player who I dont think is worth the pick, like Taylor Mays was or Bowman. I didnt think either of those guys fit our team very well and both struggled. Now we bring in a 5th young safety whose best skill is returning kicks? Seriously?

Quote:

lol I am really not one of "those people". Picking Crabtree I was hyped, picking Davis and Iupati I understood(although I didnt like the trade up), picking Josh Morgan I liked for a late round pick, etc. Every year I predict this team to go above .500 for no reason other than I take a homeristic view of the players. But I also am not going to make excuses for them when they pick a player who I dont think is worth the pick, like Taylor Mays was or Bowman. I didnt think either of those guys fit our team very well and both struggled. Now we bring in a 5th young safety whose best skill is returning kicks? Seriously?

They view him as a CB/S. He has the size/speed to be a good CB but he only got 7 games of experience there. But they must have seen enough potential in those 7 games to warrant a 3rd Rd. pick. Baalke and the scouting dept. aren't the only one's that view him as a 3-4 Round pick. He's versatile and adds more value as a Punt Returner. Do I think he's the right choice? IDK, I think there's other options. But athletically, he's better then almost all CBs in the draft. Why not draft him and let him get polished at playing CB?
Chris Culliver Scouting Report
Quote:
Pros
•Excellent speed (4.36 40)
•Has very good size
•All-Around great athlete. Very smooth, fluid, good jumper, and explosive
•Very agile, can change directions and accelerate quickly. Dynamic return man as well
•Very good ball skills. Former receiver
•Experienced at both safety and corner
•Does well in man, and zone coverage

Cons
•Gets too high in his back pedal
•Suffered torn Pectoral muscle and missed half of 2010
•Inexperienced at Corner. Only played for half a season
•Footwork and technique at corner is very raw
•Takes too many false steps

Overall
Many people may be surprised when they see how high we have Chris Culliver in my rankings, but anybody who follows this site knows that what we value is talent, and Culliver has as much physical talent as any DB in this draft not named Patrick Peterson. Culliver started 2 years at Free Safety and did well, but his skill set does seem to be better suited for cornerback, and so he was moved there for his Senior season. Things didn't go as planned as early on he got caught up in the South Carolina agent scandal thing, and missed the beginning of the season. Then right when he was started to get acclimated to corner, he tore his pectoral muscle and missed the rest of the season. Culliver is a tremendous athlete, evidenced by his abilities as a return man (South Carolina's all time return yardage leader) and his dominance at the combine (4.36 40) (38.5 Inch Vertical). I will readily admit that Culliver comes with a lot of risk, and he is not NFL ready. But is talent level is off the charts, but with some development and good coaching, he could develop into an upper echelon DB.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I'm optimistic about all of the picks so far, this guy seems to have some good upside. How soon can he replace shawntae? lol. I'm fine w/clements as long as we can restructure the contract. But I've never liked shawntae's game.
Why in the f*ck didnt the niners select a more polished Cornerback like Shareece Wright from USC here's a Senior who was a all around Corner can cover & play the run

but nooooooooooo they select this nobody over here just cuz he's blazing fast like FIOS internet

who are we becoming the Oakland Raiders??

Trent Baalke you better know something that we dont
Didn't like this pick. So few interception as a S/CB and his specialty is return kicks? We have enough of those already. We needed a good corner not a project who hasn't produced anything except return kicks. Our pass defense will be as bad as it was last year unless somehow we get Namni (sp?). Disappointing pick by Balkee IMO.
Quote:
ESPN's draft pick analysis:

RD 3 #16 (80)

What he brings: Culliver has a good blend of size and athleticism, and his movement skills are above-average. Instincts and discipline are concerns, though, and he has to work on breaking down and tackling better in space.

How he fits: This secondary gives up an alarming amount of big passing plays and lacks turn-and-run cover corners. Nate Clements is aging and has a big contract, while Shawntae Spencer is inconsistent. They need a starter who can play man coverage and blitz off the edge and Culliver is a guy that has good cover skills and some experience at safety.

- ESPN

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 30, 2011 at 05:06:30 ]
Quote:
ESPN's draft pick analysis:

RD 3 #16 (80)

What he brings: Culliver has a good blend of size and athleticism, and his movement skills are above-average. Instincts and discipline are concerns, though, and he has to work on breaking down and tackling better in space.

How he fits: This secondary gives up an alarming amount of big passing plays and lacks turn-and-run cover corners. Nate Clements is aging and has a big contract, while Shawntae Spencer is inconsistent. They need a starter who can play man coverage and blitz off the edge and Culliver is a guy that has good cover skills and some experience at safety.

- ESPN's Draft Tracker and Analysis

• Hopper
  • Veteran
NB at best. Day 2 was a letdown.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
sammy davis 2.0

so your saying he's going to be Sammy Davis Jr?

lol
I'm honestly not too thrilled about this pick. He's only played what, 7 games at corner? Outside of his marginal kick return ability, he hasn't necessarily accomplished much that warrants a 3rd round pick.

If he had some experience and could make some sort of impact, I could live with it. But I don't even see that.

-9fA
Originally posted by Hopper:
???
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm honestly not too thrilled about this pick. He's only played what, 7 games at corner? Outside of his marginal kick return ability, he hasn't necessarily accomplished much that warrants a 3rd round pick.
just a question: who said that he will play corner here? this draft is full of nice CBs, we could easily grab one in the 4th, imo.
but FS dont grow on trees at all, especially not fast ones.
this guy is extremely fast and seems to have rare discipline due to stay where has to stay.

[ Edited by communist on Apr 30, 2011 at 06:52:40 ]
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Hopper:
???
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
just a question: who said that he will play corner here? this draft is full of nice CBs, we could easily grab one in the 4th, imo.
but FS dont grow on trees at all, especially not fast ones.
this guy is extremely fast and seems to have rare discipline due to stay where has to stay.

That's great that he's got athletic talent and I recognize that. But this just seems like Reggie Smith all over again. We needed a guy who could come in right away and I just don't see that happening with Culliver. Plus, we already drafted a safety who was in over his head in Mays.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone