LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
It's really too bad we didn't work out an extension with Culliver. The guy is a great corner with the size and speed. Looking like he's going to be gone. Another loss for us this offseason.

He can be replaced, if there is one area where Baalke has especially done well, it is defensive backs. I look at a guy like Byron Jones as a potential replacement for him and someone that could be developed into a starter, similar background, versatile guy can play CB and S, good height for the position, very athletic....etc.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Is he still in danger of being suspended? That could be a factor in his resigning.

or imprisoned? Can you really threaten someone with an illegal weapon and never do time?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's really too bad we didn't work out an extension with Culliver. The guy is a great corner with the size and speed. Looking like he's going to be gone. Another loss for us this offseason.

He can be replaced, if there is one area where Baalke has especially done well, it is defensive backs. I look at a guy like Byron Jones as a potential replacement for him and someone that could be developed into a starter, similar background, versatile guy can play CB and S, good height for the position, very athletic....etc.

We are good at finding defensive backs, but replacing one as talented as Culliver won't be easy. IMO Culliver can be a top 10 corner in this league and has the ability to be a shutdown type of guy. In Fangio's defense we could virtually plug in anyone at corner and our secondary would still be good. Problem is, Fangio isn't the DC anymore and we don't know exactly how the secondary will be with Mangini.
We are good at finding defensive backs, but replacing one as talented as Culliver won't be easy. IMO Culliver can be a top 10 corner in this league and has the ability to be a shutdown type of guy. In Fangio's defense we could virtually plug in anyone at corner and our secondary would still be good. Problem is, Fangio isn't the DC anymore and we don't know exactly how the secondary will be with Mangini.

It could very well turn out to be better since Mangini's specialty is the secondary while Fangio's was LB's. Culliver is very talented but the 49ers did almost make it to a SB without him. I think if they re-sign Cox, throw him into the mix with Tramaine Brock, Dontae Johnson, Ward, Reaser, Acker and a draft pick, they'll be more than okay.
Just out of curiosity, whats the cap hit for franchising him? More than what another team will play him or a 49er long term contract with pro-rated signing bonus?
Originally posted by Sourball:
Just out of curiosity, whats the cap hit for franchising him? More than what another team will play him or a 49er long term contract with pro-rated signing bonus?

He ain't Revis so we ain't franchising him but just guessing to franchise him we may be looking at $14 million or higher and we ain't paying Kap that much more than that if that

It could very well turn out to be better since Mangini's specialty is the secondary while Fangio's was LB's. Culliver is very talented but the 49ers did almost make it to a SB without him. I think if they re-sign Cox, throw him into the mix with Tramaine Brock, Dontae Johnson, Ward, Reaser, Acker and a draft pick, they'll be more than okay.

You're forgetting that Fangio's secondary was so good because it was coached by Ed Donatell. Mangini wasn't exactly a great DC with the Patriots and his area of expertise ranked 31st in passing yards allowed that year. Now they did have many injuries and they weren't as talented as this 49ers team, but we did just see Fangio and Donatell coach up a top 5 passing defense that also had a ton of injuries.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
She doesn't know s**t

She actually had been right on a whole lot of stuff, definitely one of the more reliable and respected people in the media. She was the first to announce that the 49ers were talking to Mike Shanahan for a head coaching gig and was also one of the first to report that the Gase hiring had gone south.

She's also not the first person to indicate that there will be a very competitive market for Culliver with him likely to wind up with a pretty hefty contract.

I don't know, none of her reporting has really come to fruition imo...maybe I just have selective memory though. Not even sure the Shannahan thing was legit..nothing really came of it ...but that's also one of the main things I'm basing my dislike if her on lol. Also the whole SJ thing seems like a bunch of speculation on her end.
I don't know, none of her reporting has really come to fruition imo...maybe I just have selective memory though. Not even sure the Shannahan thing was legit..nothing really came of it ...but that's also one of the main things I'm basing my dislike if her on lol. Also the whole SJ thing seems like a bunch of speculation on her end.

Yet she has a nice rack

I've been following her reporting pretty closely, she's been right far more often than wrong, definitely a reliable source, particularly when it comes to things related to the Redskins but in general she's put up stuff that even the Matt's ended up running with. I'd say her track record is pretty good and that's not just because I think she looks pretty yummy in yoga pants.

You're forgetting that Fangio's secondary was so good because it was coached by Ed Donatell. Mangini wasn't exactly a great DC with the Patriots and his area of expertise ranked 31st in passing yards allowed that year. Now they did have many injuries and they weren't as talented as this 49ers team, but we did just see Fangio and Donatell coach up a top 5 passing defense that also had a ton of injuries.

Its not like the 49ers hired some bottom-tier coach for the secondary. Tim Lewis has an outstanding track record as a defensive coach in general. I was upset about Donatell being gone but Lewis seems like a guy who can pick up right where he left off.

Meanwhile Mangini spent a few seasons as the secondary coach for New England back when they had a pretty good secondary. As far as his one year as DC, its hard to hold that against him since New England set the NFL record for most different defensive starters in a season, to call them injury-plagued would be a major understatement.

I've been following her reporting pretty closely, she's been right far more often than wrong, definitely a reliable source, particularly when it comes to things related to the Redskins but in general she's put up stuff that even the Matt's ended up running with. I'd say her track record is pretty good and that's not just because I think she looks pretty yummy in yoga pants.

You make a very valid point

Its not like the 49ers hired some bottom-tier coach for the secondary. Tim Lewis has an outstanding track record as a defensive coach in general. I was upset about Donatell being gone but Lewis seems like a guy who can pick up right where he left off.

Meanwhile Mangini spent a few seasons as the secondary coach for New England back when they had a pretty good secondary. As far as his one year as DC, its hard to hold that against him since New England set the NFL record for most different defensive starters in a season, to call them injury-plagued would be a major understatement.

Who said we hired a bottom tier secondary coach? I'm saying we lost a great tandem of defensive coaches who had our secondary unit top 5 despite many injuries. To think that the new coaching staff is going to step in and not lose a beat with respect to the secondary is very optimistic, especially when past history of Mangini's time as a DC suggest otherwise. That's why you can't just assume that we can still just plug in any defensive back and they'll be successful, like how we were able to do during the Fangio/Donatell era. A new defensive coaching staff and new scheme may require more talented dbs. Only time will tell.
I think the 49ers should go after Tyronne Drakeford for depth at CB.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If he wants to be a 49er, he and his agent will really try to work it out and he'll take less money (if not too cheap)... if he bounces to another team, many will cry
Share 49ersWebzone