There are 155 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Ugh we should've traded back some more. We could've got this guy in the 4th. Baalke is a dumbass.

Baalke isn't running the draft by himself. Remember all defensive coaches are in that war room and have had input. So it's not just Baalke you're calling a dumbass, it's also Vic Fangio and Ed Donnatel. There's no way you can separate the two unless you're sure the entire defensive staff wanted someone else and Baalke insisted on this one person, it's not all on him.

Wow, Baalke isn't stupid with this pick. I predicted Culliver would go in the third. He's a very good safety prospect, and is likely the one who'll replace Goldson.

Is he? I haven't heard much about this guy. Further, how many F*cking safeties can we draft? Is Mays already dubbed a bust then? Or are we going to play Mays and a rookie in the centerfield? that's a scary thought (not in a good way)

I half take back what I said, because the team isn't moving him to safety. He's going to be groomed at corner. With that said, he should not start out as anything more than the #4 corner, but if successful, he could be at least a nickel guy.

Culliver has great speed and hips, but it's the mental game that is the issue. He is still learning to play the position. Apparently we think he can do it. The only reason he was drafted this high is because a team looking at him as a safety of the future probably would've taken him in the 3rd. He projects better to safety in the immediate, but as a corner he'll be transitioning. We'll see how that turns out...
Ugh we should've traded back some more. We could've got this guy in the 4th. Baalke is a dumbass.

Baalke isn't running the draft by himself. Remember all defensive coaches are in that war room and have had input. So it's not just Baalke you're calling a dumbass, it's also Vic Fangio and Ed Donnatel. There's no way you can separate the two unless you're sure the entire defensive staff wanted someone else and Baalke insisted on this one person, it's not all on him.

Wow, Baalke isn't stupid with this pick. I predicted Culliver would go in the third. He's a very good safety prospect, and is likely the one who'll replace Goldson.

Is he? I haven't heard much about this guy. Further, how many F*cking safeties can we draft? Is Mays already dubbed a bust then? Or are we going to play Mays and a rookie in the centerfield? that's a scary thought (not in a good way)

I half take back what I said, because the team isn't moving him to safety. He's going to be groomed at corner. With that said, he should not start out as anything more than the #4 corner, but if successful, he could be at least a nickel guy.

Culliver has great speed and hips, but it's the mental game that is the issue. He is still learning to play the position. Apparently we think he can do it. The only reason he was drafted this high is because a team looking at him as a safety of the future probably would've taken him in the 3rd. He projects better to safety in the immediate, but as a corner he'll be transitioning. We'll see how that turns out...

Taking a #4 corner instead of Meracic, or a NT, or Taiwan Jones, or one of the premier mid-round receivers is a travesty. Very unhappy with this pick. Also our late round picks in general baffle me.
From National Football Post 4/25/11 . . .

Quote:
South Carolina cornerback-safety Chris Culliver had visits with the Miami Dolphins and the Detroit Lions late in the draft process, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

He had private workoutswith the Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs.

He also had visits with the Minnesota Vikings and the Houston Texans.

Originally projected as a fourth-round draft pick, Culliver has also drawn second-round and third-round grades from several teams.

A 6-foot, 200-pound cornerback who has also played safety, Culliver ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

He registered a 1.50 10-yard split and a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 10-03 broad jump. He also posted a 4.08 20-yard shuttle and a 6.08 three-cone drill.

Culliver is the Gamecocks' all-time kick return leader with 2,476 yards.

Culliver dealt with a torn pectoral last season, but has recovered from his injury.

He was moved from safety to cornerback prior to last season.

As a junior, Culliver was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection when he recorded 52 tackles and returned 26 kickoffs for 585 yards.

As a sophomore, he intercepted three passes with 60 tackles and forced two fumbles.

Culliver signed with South Carolina as a wide receiver before moving to free safety.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/CB-Chris-Culliver-had-late-visits-with-Dolphins-Lions.html

Hopefully Fangio and Donatell can turn this into a steal . . .
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Quote:
South Carolina cornerback-safety Chris Culliver had visits with the Miami Dolphins and the Detroit Lions late in the draft process, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

He had private workoutswith the Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs.

Originally projected as a fourth-round draft pick, Culliver has also drawn second-round and third-round grades from several teams.

A 6-foot, 200-pound cornerback who has also played safety, Culliver ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

He registered a 1.50 10-yard split and a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 10-03 broad jump. He also posted a 4.08 20-yard shuttle and a 6.08 three-cone drill.

Culliver dealt with a torn pectoral last season, but has recovered from his injury.

As a junior, Culliver was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection when he recorded 52 tackles and returned 26 kickoffs for 585 yards.

As a sophomore, he intercepted three passes with 60 tackles and forced two fumbles.

Culliver signed with South Carolina as a wide receiver before moving to free safety.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/CB-Chris-Culliver-had-late-visits-with-Dolphins-Lions.html

Hopefully so. I don't know who put a 2nd round grade on him, but I'd imagine that would be at safety. We obviously think he's got potential to be a good CB with the physical tools he has. If he's mentally up to the task, he'll succeed. If not, he'll wind up back at S at some point.

Taking a #4 corner instead of Meracic, or a NT, or Taiwan Jones, or one of the premier mid-round receivers is a travesty. Very unhappy with this pick. Also our late round picks in general baffle me.

We need to stock pile CB's. Nate could be gone, Spencer is so-so, Brown is crap, and Adams is still a big ? (with upside). If he can take the nickel spot from Brown then its a win.
Originally posted by jreff22:

We need to stock pile CB's. Nate could be gone, Spencer is so-so, Brown is crap, and Adams is still a big ? (with upside). If he can take the nickel spot from Brown then its a win.

Maybe Adams isn't just a lucky guess? Maybe Baalke has a good sense of CBs? I don't know, just askin....
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Maybe Adams isn't just a lucky guess? Maybe Baalke has a good sense of CBs? I don't know, just askin....

I hope not, he showed promise last year, just need to make sure he doesnt catch the injury bug. Brown has shown he cant handle a full time starting job and his contract is probably close to being up as well. If Adams and Culliver can somehow work there way into #2 and #3 then Baalke gets major props.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Quote:

Hopefully so. I don't know who put a 2nd round grade on him, but I'd imagine that would be at safety. We obviously think he's got potential to be a good CB with the physical tools he has. If he's mentally up to the task, he'll succeed. If not, he'll wind up back at S at some point.

The 49ers? Maybe?
one of my favorite pics in the draft, man is very physical and can run with almost anyone

[ Edited by Frisco69ers on May 2, 2011 at 08:50:18 ]
I don't see what the problem with this pick is?

We need secondary help, everywhere. There are no guarantees with any of our current safties. Goldson may bolt for more money, which he may or may not deserve; he was rather mediocre last year. Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays have thus far, proven absolutely nothing. Culliver certainly looks the part.

The fact that following this pick, 5 of the next 10 picks were corners could imply something else. Had he been available, what would everybody be saying if he were a Steeler, Packer, or Saint?

Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
I don't see what the problem with this pick is?

We need secondary help, everywhere. There are no guarantees with any of our current safties. Goldson may bolt for more money, which he may or may not deserve; he was rather mediocre last year. Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays have thus far, proven absolutely nothing. Culliver certainly looks the part.

The fact that following this pick, 5 of the next 10 picks were corners could imply something else. Had he been available, what would everybody be saying if he were a Steeler, Packer, or Saint?

Good point!
Mays will be the player we all thought with Donatell unleashing him like Atwater
if nothing else atleast we can say we have a really fast, really powerful DB field. we drafted speed and power the last two years and its gonna pay off with good coaching.
Third-round CB Chris Culliver will be given a chance to compete for a starting job, according to CSN Bay Area.
Nate Clements is coming off a solid season, but he may have to restructure his contract with $7.25 million due in 2011. Culliver had just seven career starts at corner in college, so it's hard to like his chances of starting right out of the gate.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6624/chris-culliver
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by 49erWill:

hes a big head that looks like a Pitbull Or Bull's head...

Takeo Spikes neck!
Share 49ersWebzone