LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by turfdoggs49:
So I'm a steelers fan because I think their front office does a better job than ours? If you really mean that then that'd make 75% of this board steelers fans. Their fo has won 2 of the last 6 superbowls. Ours hasnt even made the playoffs since 2002. Logic says they pick better players than we do. Even a homer should be able to see that.

All Iam saying is that if the 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh likes the pick then let see what he can do they just had j John p in and he must not been what they where looking 4 that it.

Yeah but whether you like a guy or not you have to know his value. They took Culliver way too high. Its the same s**t as last year, they picked Taylor Mays when better cover guys were available and then he struggles and we are all supposed to be shocked or something. YOu can fool me once but you cant fool me twice and Baalke better hope that Harbaugh can save his ass by coaching these guys up or he is really going to have f**ked us over. Baalke made the same type of picks last year and we all blamed it on Singletary, but the guy Sing really liked (Iupati) wound up being the only player who actually turned out to be really good.

We took Taylor Mays because Nate Allen got stolen from us by the Eagles!! If u knew anything, Singh threw his drink across the room when that happened!!!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Chris Culliver Scouting Report
Quote:
Pros
•Excellent speed (4.36 40)
•Has very good size
•All-Around great athlete. Very smooth, fluid, good jumper, and explosive
•Very agile, can change directions and accelerate quickly. Dynamic return man as well
•Very good ball skills. Former receiver
•Experienced at both safety and corner
•Does well in man, and zone coverage

Cons
•Gets too high in his back pedal
•Suffered torn Pectoral muscle and missed half of 2010
•Inexperienced at Corner. Only played for half a season
•Footwork and technique at corner is very raw
•Takes too many false steps

Overall
Many people may be surprised when they see how high we have Chris Culliver in my rankings, but anybody who follows this site knows that what we value is talent, and Culliver has as much physical talent as any DB in this draft not named Patrick Peterson. Culliver started 2 years at Free Safety and did well, but his skill set does seem to be better suited for cornerback, and so he was moved there for his Senior season. Things didn't go as planned as early on he got caught up in the South Carolina agent scandal thing, and missed the beginning of the season. Then right when he was started to get acclimated to corner, he tore his pectoral muscle and missed the rest of the season. Culliver is a tremendous athlete, evidenced by his abilities as a return man (South Carolina's all time return yardage leader) and his dominance at the combine (4.36 40) (38.5 Inch Vertical). I will readily admit that Culliver comes with a lot of risk, and he is not NFL ready. But is talent level is off the charts, but with some development and good coaching, he could develop into an upper echelon DB.

Nice read
people talk about how he is a reach because of his bad insticncs i think we drafted him as a saftey i think he is better suited for that anyway
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
people talk about how he is a reach because of his bad insticncs i think we drafted him as a saftey i think he is better suited for that anyway

hes going to cb
Originally posted by 49erWill:

hes a big head that looks like a Pitbull Or Bull's head...
my least favorite pick in the draft however he can blossom
Corner. end of story
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by playmake1:
Bill Parcels has Culliver as a third round pick along with curtis brown and shareece wright. I'd go with his evaluation over most other experts. When I saw that it made me feel a lot better about the pick. By the way, he also rated Aldon Smith as the second best rush olb behind miller.

How much tape work do you think a retired GM does?
Originally posted by KID9R:
Bill Parcels has Culliver as a third round pick along with curtis brown and shareece wright. I'd go with his evaluation over most other experts. When I saw that it made me feel a lot better about the pick. By the way, he also rated Aldon Smith as the second best rush olb behind miller.

a lot more than fans

a lot considering his dick don't get hard anymore.

Originally posted by communist:
we'll see it...i dont think that baalke and fangio drafted him b/c of his special teams ability and his 7 games at CB for playing nickel and returning kicks and punts.

The Culliver pick has Fangio written all over it. The defensive scheme requires physical corners who can jam receivers and disrupt timing while blitz packages harass the QB into bad throws or sacks. Patrick Peterson would have been ideal in Fangio's defense, and that's why the Niners were so clearly disappointed that he was drafted ahead of their first pick.

BTW, if they can work out a deal, Clements would probably thrive in this defense, too. He was misused as a cover corner playing off the line, often without help from a safety, and it wasn't a good fit.

I don't know if Asomugha is ideal for Fangio's game, but my hunch is that he's versatile enough to make any defense better. Hope the Niners make a strong play for him.

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 1, 2011 at 07:56:13 ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

a lot more than fans

Obviously but that's not who he comparred him to.
I'd bet he doesn't watch more than Mike Mayock types.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by communist:
we'll see it...i dont think that baalke and fangio drafted him b/c of his special teams ability and his 7 games at CB for playing nickel and returning kicks and punts.

The Culliver pick has Fangio written all over it. The defensive scheme requires physical corners who can jam receivers and disrupt timing while blitz packages harass the QB into bad throws or sacks. Patrick Peterson would have been ideal in Fangio's defense, and that's why the Niners were so clearly disappointed that he was drafted ahead of their first pick.

BTW, if they can work out a deal, Clements would probably thrive in this defense, too. He was misused as a cover corner playing off the line, often without help from a safety, and it wasn't a good fit.

I don't know if Asomugha is ideal for Fangio's game, but my hunch is that he's versatile enough to make any defense better. Hope the Niners make a strong play for him.

Exactly. He's a press corner with excellent speed and solid hands. Fangio is going to be aggressive with his blitz packages, so a speedy corner that can be physical at the LOS is exactly what he needs.
at the very least we added speed to our special teams/return game
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Ugh we should've traded back some more. We could've got this guy in the 4th. Baalke is a dumbass.

Baalke isn't running the draft by himself. Remember all defensive coaches are in that war room and have had input. So it's not just Baalke you're calling a dumbass, it's also Vic Fangio and Ed Donnatel. There's no way you can separate the two unless you're sure the entire defensive staff wanted someone else and Baalke insisted on this one person, it's not all on him.

Wow, Baalke isn't stupid with this pick. I predicted Culliver would go in the third. He's a very good safety prospect, and is likely the one who'll replace Goldson.

Is he? I haven't heard much about this guy. Further, how many F*cking safeties can we draft? Is Mays already dubbed a bust then? Or are we going to play Mays and a rookie in the centerfield? that's a scary thought (not in a good way)
Share 49ersWebzone