LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 194 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niner_Joe:
Horrible pick imo...have you seen this guy's delivery...can you say Vince Young? Long, slow delivery is not what you want in an NFL quarterback and don't tell me this is something that can be addressed with proper coaching because if the kids had the same delivery his whole life then he'll always, always revert back to it when the heat is on...horrible pick. Should have definitely gone DB in the 2nd and waited around for Stanzi in the 3rd..Stanzi's familiar with a pro style offense and has a quick release which is what you want in a WCO...Jimmy dropped the ball on this one.

And what the f*** do you know about QBs? Sorry. I'm going to trust "Jimmy" on this one over some yahoo with one post.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Colin Kaepernick Scouting Report
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Evasive with excellent speed
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength
Very hard worker and intelligent

Weaknesses:
Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy
Delivery issues (windup) partially due to height
Has to adjust from Pistol offense
Must go through more progressions at pro level
Frame might lead to durability concerns
Lacks size to rid himself of tacklers
Ball security needs improvement
Played mostly against inferior competition

Summary: Colin Kaepernick was remarkably consistent during his four years at Nevada. His touchdown passes were 19, 22, 20 and 21. He ran for 1,100 or more yards in each of his final three seasons. The passing yards were the only exception with less production in 2007 and 2009, but even against mostly WAC opponents he only threw 24 interceptions in 1,271 attempts. He also greatly improved his accuracy to 65 percent as a senior.

The leadership factor weighs heavily into his evaluation and although the second round is littered with failures, he might be an exception. Teams have to love that he might have had a future in baseball (he was drafted by the Cubs) yet stuck with football which clearly illustrates his passion for football. That's good because his mechanics need work.

Lacks size? he is 6'6", 233 pounds

The term chicken legs mean anything to you.

Lol, I've seen him, I live in Reno. Dude is not Jamarcus Russel or Big ben huge. But he is big enough. No injury concerns here.
I just found out he was neither a Niners fan or a Raiders fan growing up...

Quote:
Here’s a natural segue … who is your favorite NFL quarterback?
CK: Of all-time, I would say Brett Favre. I was a Packers fan growing up, and just to see the way he played the game and how excited he was about it all the time, he’s my favorite. Currently, it would have to be Peyton Manning. For me, the mental aspect of the game he has complete control of and is able to see exactly what the defense is doing and pick them apart, is amazing to me.

Still like him though.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength

Weaknesses:

Summary: Colin Kaepernick was remarkably consistent during his four years at Nevada. His touchdown passes were 19, 22, 20 and 21. He ran for 1,100 or more yards in each of his final three seasons. The passing yards were the only exception with less production in 2007 and 2009, but even against mostly WAC opponents he only threw 24 interceptions in 1,271 attempts. He also greatly improved his accuracy to 65 percent as a senior.

The leadership factor weighs heavily into his evaluation and although the second round is littered with failures, he might be an exception. Teams have to love that he might have had a future in baseball (he was drafted by the Cubs) yet stuck with football which clearly illustrates his passion for football. That's good because his mechanics need work.

some guy named joe montana had that problem too

Only thing, Montana could actually play, not run around like a chicken lobbing footballs.

this montana is a pocket passer kaep relies on his legs too much
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength

Weaknesses:

Jeff Garcia didnt have beefy legs either.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think I came in my pants.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
By Greg Cox

Strengths:
Leadership qualities
Ideal height
Highly productive runner
Lots of experience
Tremendous athlete
Good arm strength

Weaknesses:

Jeff Garcia didnt have beefy legs either.

he had a bog body great upperpdy strength this guy is extremely thin

all this means is he has to either bulk up or become a pocket passer
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Got this from SF Gate, Add to the post above. Well, I think this kid is the best QB in the draft and a nice job by Jim Harbaugh for drafting this kid.

-His career stats speak for themselves. No one in NCAA history can touch them. 10,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards rushing. No player even comes close.

-Kaepernick is the only player in NCAA history to pass for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in three seasons.

-He tied the all time NCAA record for rushing TDs by a QB at 59.

-None of this explains fully why he is the best QB in the draft. His performance at the Senior Bowl and the combine do.

-So what we are seeing with Kaepernick is a QB who re-wrote the record books and is the best dual threat in college football history.

-he is also faster and has a stronger arm than Newton. At 6'6" and 233 pounds

-His spotless record, academic performance, innate intelligence and impeccable character along with what Hall of Fame Coach Chris Ault said was "the most ferocious competitor" he had ever seen, and I think Colin Kaepernick is the best available talent in the draft. Certainly, he will need some fine tuning. Kaepernick is very eager, humble and coachable.

Kaepernick has the desire, intensity, dedication, character, maturity, leadership and the will to win, Kaepernick is unmatched.

-His story is heartwarming and inspiring. Adopted as an infant. Half African-American. Raised by a church going, loving white couple who had lost a child. A star athlete in multiple sports and a very good student. Throws a 95 MPH fastball and no-hitters in high school, drafted by the Chicago Cubs twice and turns them down because he just loves football. Overlooked by every college (including nearby Fresno State) and Boise State. Only Nevada gave him a scholarship never having seen him play football just based on scouting reports of what a athletic competitor he was in a basketball game leading his team to victory while he was sick with flu and had a fever.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=88055#ixzz1KxWo0aN0
Originally posted by theginz2004:
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
More on the 49ers - hearing if they had reached 1st rd in trade Dalton very well could have been the pick. Unable to get ahead of CIN...

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
They felt like they needed to jump WSH to be sure they got a QB they coveted and got one in Kaepernick by moving to DEN pick

After the Harbaugh debacle in January, I'm never going to be able to take La Canfora even remotely cereal.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Sounds like the guy they really wanted was Dalton.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f94e09/article/persistence-pays-off-niners-trade-up-to-land-qb-kaepernick-

"Had they been able to get ahead of Cincinnati, Dalton very well could have been the pick. They were unable to do so, and, according to league sources, at that point felt like they had to leapfrog Washington to be certain they could get Kaepernick."

this montana is a pocket passer kaep relies on his legs too much
Late in his career Joe stuck to the pocket, but when he came out, he reintroduced the concept of running QB to the league. Just watch his 50+ run against Miami in the Superbowl.

BTW - Love the pick. Go 9ers!
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers made a solid pick, anyone know what they gave up to move ahead by 10 spots?

They swapped 2nd round picks and they gave up a 4th and 5th rounders.

I'm surprised they gave up so much to get this guy. Seems desperate. Scouting reports say he is very raw and a development project. Now, maybe in the hands of Harbaugh that will pay big dividends a couple years down the line, but that seems like an awfully steep price. All we needed, IMO, is an accurate passer who can distribute the ball. This guy is one of those runner/passer hybrids.

Not watching because I'm at "work". Jason LaConfora said we swapped 2s, and gave up our 3rd and 5th. To me, that is a lot. Liking less. Don't want to judge the kid, I just think the GM gave too much for a development project. The whole damn league went QB nutty in this draft and none of them are that great.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
http://twitter.com/#!/Kaepernick10

Gained around 500 followers since he was drafted.

Add another 750 followers up to 5,063.
if JH believes in him, so do I. Good Pick....

Sit for two years please! But I'll be pleasantly surprised if he starts in one year.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Got this from SF Gate, Add to the post above. Well, I think this kid is the best QB in the draft and a nice job by Jim Harbaugh for drafting this kid.

-His career stats speak for themselves. No one in NCAA history can touch them. 10,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards rushing. No player even comes close.

-Kaepernick is the only player in NCAA history to pass for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in three seasons.

-He tied the all time NCAA record for rushing TDs by a QB at 59.

-None of this explains fully why he is the best QB in the draft. His performance at the Senior Bowl and the combine do.

-So what we are seeing with Kaepernick is a QB who re-wrote the record books and is the best dual threat in college football history.

-he is also faster and has a stronger arm than Newton. At 6'6" and 233 pounds

-His spotless record, academic performance, innate intelligence and impeccable character along with what Hall of Fame Coach Chris Ault said was "the most ferocious competitor" he had ever seen, and I think Colin Kaepernick is the best available talent in the draft. Certainly, he will need some fine tuning. Kaepernick is very eager, humble and coachable.

Kaepernick has the desire, intensity, dedication, character, maturity, leadership and the will to win, Kaepernick is unmatched.

-His story is heartwarming and inspiring. Adopted as an infant. Half African-American. Raised by a church going, loving white couple who had lost a child. A star athlete in multiple sports and a very good student. Throws a 95 MPH fastball and no-hitters in high school, drafted by the Chicago Cubs twice and turns them down because he just loves football. Overlooked by every college (including nearby Fresno State) and Boise State. Only Nevada gave him a scholarship never having seen him play football just based on scouting reports of what a athletic competitor he was in a basketball game leading his team to victory while he was sick with flu and had a fever.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=88055#ixzz1KxWo0aN0

he is a unique talent but he needs to bulk up and be coached for at least a year before he starts

also dont read too much into his career accomplishments he played in the WAC for 4 years so his stats will be inflated
Share 49ersWebzone