There are 163 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
Colin Kaepernick and Andrew Luck met last summer at the Manning Passing Camp. CK said AL's been giving him the "inside scoop" on Harbaugh.
Love the pick!

This is what Harbaugh saw:

Quick release, strong arm, accurate, and mobile. Sit him a year and he will ball.
So will Josh Morgan sneak Kap a copy of the playbook since the lockout back on?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I told you all that Kaepernick was the guy I thought Harbaugh was targeting!! Colin is his new pet project!

Feel so much better with Harbaugh picking a QB. I hope Kaepernick develops and turns out to be one hell of a QB. I just hope that the team is patient with him the way they should have been with Smith.

Definitely. I get the impression that Harbaugh is very, very thorough and spent a lot of time determining which QB we should take. Trading up for him is a sign that Harbaugh felt pretty strongly about him and didn't want to chance him being off of the board.

This is what Harbaugh was brought in to do. I'm excited about the future.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers made a solid pick, anyone know what they gave up to move ahead by 10 spots?

They swapped 2nd round picks and they gave up a 4th and 5th rounders.

I'm surprised they gave up so much to get this guy. Seems desperate. Scouting reports say he is very raw and a development project. Now, maybe in the hands of Harbaugh that will pay big dividends a couple years down the line, but that seems like an awfully steep price. All we needed, IMO, is an accurate passer who can distribute the ball. This guy is one of those runner/passer hybrids.

He is an accurate passer with very good arm strength. The only guy with a higher ceiling than Kaepernick at QB was Cam Newton, but Newton also has more bust potential. I am very happy with this pick and giving up a 4th and 5th isn't too much to pay for a potential franchise QB. If he wasn't a QB, I might question the trade-up, but this was obviously a huge need and, like I said, I'm almost positive Arizona was going to take him with the next pick.

Well, I hope you're right about that, but the ESPN breakdown is not as glowing. Strong leadership, strong arm, yes. But his accuracy is ranked average and he is ranked below average in intelligence/decision making, citing that he comes from the Pistol offense in the WAC that has very simplistic reads.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/26167/colin-kaepernick
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Mobility
Accuracy
Speed
Arm Strength

What's not to like?

Trust the new coaching staff for now and see what they can create with this great athlete
i friggin love this pick. we just drafted a baller. alex smith is a f**kin' puss.
OH CRAP HE'S A TURLOCK BOY!!!! Finally the 49ers drafted a local boy (which has cost us in the past).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Apr 29, 2011 at 16:08:10 ]
I live in Vegas and have seen him play a few times. I'm not an expert but He is as athletic and strong as any QB's Ive seen in a while.

His upside is huge and no baggage. He will learn and grow for a year or two and I feel will be brought along smartly by JH.

We really made out getting him where we did and did not pay a steep price. Actually I feel we got the better part of the deal. Especially since we still have a 3rd round pick!

Go Niners!
Harbaugh also had no issues with Kaepernick's elongated throwing motion, which some have said was a reason why he'd be a poor fit in Harbaugh's West Coast offense. Kaepernick has been working to shorten his throwing motion since Nevada's season ended. "Coach Harbaugh was actually the first coach to tell me it looked good," Kaepernick said. "I think he was worried about whether I get the ball out quickly or not. When he told me that, I was very excited about it."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/04/niners-trade-fo-1.html

• Jcool
  • Veteran
http://twitter.com/#!/Kaepernick10

Gained around 500 followers since he was drafted.
I don't like the pick. I prefer to resign Alex Smith and start him. The spelling of his last name is much easier to remember than Kaepernick.

lol j/k

Good pick.
Cool We got Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Kind of reminds me a bit of a Garcia and Young mold as far as leadership and athleticism but with a stronger arm. We should see what happens... Harbaugh he is all yours take him under your wing and show him the deal.
Project
Originally posted by 5280High:
Love the pick!

This is what Harbaugh saw:

Quick release, strong arm, accurate, and mobile. Sit him a year and he will ball.

Very impressive! Very...
Share 49ersWebzone