LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

starting a rookie QB in 2011...do the niners have the tools?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If you want a legitimate shot at drafting Andrew Luck, then yes please start a rookie for the next season.

Give me a frickin break, there is no qb in this draft that can even sniff Sam Bradfords jock strap, so it is not a good comparision.

Start a vet, Carr, Josh Johnson, Hasselbeck, and let your qb learn and master harbaughs system before throwing him to the wolves.
Originally posted by matt49er:
if that rookie was say Andrew Luck then yes maybe but not with any of the QBs in this draft. Either trade for Palmer/Kolb or Orton or sign Bulger.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
NO. Very few rookies are effective as starters. Everyone talks about Sam Bradford... but does anyone look at what he actually did? They were an avg team, with an underrated DEF a good running game AND THEY PLAYED IN THE NFC WEST!!!!!!. His QB rating was WORSE than Alex Smith's... DID YOU KNOW - Sam Bradford was 3rd in the NFL in pass attempts last year... 25th in QB Rating???

NO I AM NOT SAYING SMITH IS BETTER. What I am saying is rookie QB's aren't good... and I think in most cases are better served to sit back and learn for a year or two.

For fun... the top 10 NFL QB in terms of Passer Rating in 2010 - and how they did their rookie year...

Tom Brady - 1-3 33.3% 6 yrds 0TD 0INT 2y/a 42.4 rating
Phillip Rivers - 5-8 62.5% 33yrds 1TD 0INT 4.1 y/a 110.9 Rating
Aaron Rodgers - 9-16 56.3% 65 yrds 0TD 1INT 4.1 y/a 39.8 Rating
Michael Vick - 50-113 44.2% 785 yrds 2TD 3INT 6.9 y/a 62.7 Rating
Ben Roethlisberger - 196-295 66.4% 2621 yrds 17TD 11INT 8,4 y/a 98.1 Rating
Josh Freeman - 158-290 54.5% 1855 yrds 10TD 18INT 6.4 y/a 59.8 Rating
Joe FLacco - 257-428 60% 2971 yrds 14TD 12 INT 6.9 y/a 80.3 Rating
Matt Cassel - 13-24 54.2% 183 yrds 2TD 1INT 7.6 y/a 89.4 Rating
Matt Schaub - 33-70 47.1% 330 yrds 1TD 4INT 4.7 y/a 42 Rating
Payton Manning - 326-575 56.7% 3739 yrds 26TD 28INT 6.5 y/a 71.2

3 of 10 threw for over 2,000 yards. 3 of 10 threw for over 15 TD's. 4 of 10 had over 200 attempts. Total combined TD - INTS = 73 - 78. 30% of the ELITE, top QB's in the NFL are avg as Rookies...

I would argue that only ONE of those Rookie years would be good enough to get this team to the playoffs - Roethlisberger. These were the top 10 QB's in the NFL... and they weren't great as rookies. Flacco was OK, but Smith has been better than that the last two years... Manning - 28 INTS?!

My favorite stat... The top 3 QB's in 2010 combined to throw 27 passes as rookies. Hmmmmm...

I would take a number of older QB's to start this season instead of a rookie... and yes that includes Smith.
Originally posted by Pick6:
NO. Very few rookies are effective as starters. Everyone talks about Sam Bradford... but does anyone look at what he actually did? They were an avg team, with an underrated DEF a good running game AND THEY PLAYED IN THE NFC WEST!!!!!!. His QB rating was WORSE than Alex Smith's... DID YOU KNOW - Sam Bradford was 3rd in the NFL in pass attempts last year... 25th in QB Rating???

NO I AM NOT SAYING SMITH IS BETTER. What I am saying is rookie QB's aren't good... and I think in most cases are better served to sit back and learn for a year or two.

For fun... the top 10 NFL QB in terms of Passer Rating in 2010 - and how they did their rookie year...

3 of 10 threw for over 2,000 yards. 3 of 10 threw for over 15 TD's. 4 of 10 had over 200 attempts. Total combined TD - INTS = 73 - 78. 30% of the ELITE, top QB's in the NFL are avg as Rookies...

I would argue that only ONE of those Rookie years would be good enough to get this team to the playoffs - Roethlisberger. These were the top 10 QB's in the NFL... and they weren't great as rookies. Flacco was OK, but Smith has been better than that the last two years... Manning - 28 INTS?!

My favorite stat... The top 3 QB's in 2010 combined to throw 27 passes as rookies. Hmmmmm...

I would take a number of older QB's to start this season instead of a rookie... and yes that includes Smith.

good research...I agree that i would rather sit a rookie but the problem is that right now we don't have anyone for them to sit behind. We know that Carr won't be with us long so that leaves no one. I think we have the right tools but it would all depend on when the cba thing gets fixed. Big Ben played ok his first year but Pittsburgh was very successful. I know we are no Pittsburgh but if we can draft good D and sign some FA veteran D than we can rely more on the power run and D while the rookie learns slowly. The Jets did the same with Sanchez. With a Vet or a rookie it will be hard if the cba thing cuts into minicamps and workouts.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Pick6:

good research...I agree that i would rather sit a rookie but the problem is that right now we don't have anyone for them to sit behind. We know that Carr won't be with us long so that leaves no one. I think we have the right tools but it would all depend on when the cba thing gets fixed. Big Ben played ok his first year but Pittsburgh was very successful. I know we are no Pittsburgh but if we can draft good D and sign some FA veteran D than we can rely more on the power run and D while the rookie learns slowly. The Jets did the same with Sanchez. With a Vet or a rookie it will be hard if the cba thing cuts into minicamps and workouts.

As long as the power running game is Harbaugh (Stanford) like rather than Singletary's! Teams could put ten men in the box on first downs against the 9ers and not have to worry. The eleventh man was to chase Gore when he broke through the other ten.

It would be nice to get a good FA QB but I don't really expect a micacle next year, more likely a growing season while the team adapts to the new offense. With a shortened training camp likely, it may be a funny few games in the fall.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by fly15:
anyone but Alice Smith.....

I second that.

This is NOT a thread about Smith. Consider this a verbal warning. Next time, you'll be formally warned for spamming and/or inciting. Thanks.

the original post even mentions alex smith

stop over modding

I second that.

I third it

The original post mentioned him as a tangent in relation to the environment and coaching. This is about starting a rookie, not Smith.

Quite pedantic vocabulary for a 49ers forum! Thanks, professor!
Originally posted by 9erred:
If you want a legitimate shot at drafting Andrew Luck, then yes please start a rookie for the next season.

Give me a frickin break, there is no qb in this draft that can even sniff Sam Bradfords jock strap, so it is not a good comparision.

Start a vet, Carr, Josh Johnson, Hasselbeck, and let your qb learn and master harbaughs system before throwing him to the wolves.

Josh Johnson ......why ??????
If it was a top rookie, yes. An Elway, Marino, Manning, Rivers...But you can't throw a guy like Ricky Stanzi or Andy Dalton in there as a rookie and expect them to do well. I'm not even sure Gabbert would do very well and I think Newton would stink it up. Rookies make mistakes.
With the amount of resouces we've commited to the Oline we should be able to start Ryan Leaf!!! If our oline doesn't make it into the top ten I'm going to be very disappointed. 3 first rounders and 2 seconds!
I guess my first question is why does a team need and outstanding "and young" oline? If you are trying to protect a rookie QB who may hold the ball longer than he should, you don't need the oline to be young - you need them to be experienced and consistent. What round they were all drafted in also means nothing at this point. You say we need an outstanding running back. No, we would need a consistent running game to take pressure off the QB. If a team can put a QB in 3rd and short on a regular basis, that is what takes the pressure off. Well with Gore, we've been in a lot of 3rd and longs and had horrible 3rd down efficiency.

One thing that a young QB does need that you don't mention, is consistent receivers. Players that can just make the catch. it gets the QB in rhythm and builds some confidence. VD still drops way too many balls, and Crabtree hasn't shown he can be that guy yet either.

So honestly, I'd have to disagree on every point - and say we do NOT have the tools to make a good environment for a rookie QB to start.

No! Our line is not ready for that! And with the lock out it'll give a rookie less time to prepare and learn than Alex had!
Originally posted by Trajik1:
No! Our line is not ready for that! And with the lock out it'll give a rookie less time to prepare and learn than Alex had!

Mallett would be fine. He's better than any qb we've had in the last 8 years right now. With some practice and Harbaugh this guy could be the next Peyton/Schaub/Rivers/Brady. He has the tools for sure!
It's all about the oline and an accurate QB.

We shouldn't have to get a scrambling qb just to buy time for a sh*tty oline self destructing pocket.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by Trajik1:

our o line is light years ahead of what it was when alex was a rookie maybe even 2007
Share 49ersWebzone