LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

starting a rookie QB in 2011...do the niners have the tools?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am against starting a rookie. The rare situation where your down to your 3rd string guy maybe, but otherwise I am against it and will be.
I'd start a rookie only if our OL can hold the line... maybe after a few games to test out the line first
Originally posted by tjd808185:
This is probally not the year to start a rookie quarterback. With the lockout and a new coach we're going to be behind the curve from the get go.

I don't care if we draft a rookie I still want Alex on our team and competing for the starting gig.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by fly15:
anyone but Alice Smith.....

I second that.

This is NOT a thread about Smith. Consider this a verbal warning. Next time, you'll be formally warned for spamming and/or inciting. Thanks.

the original post even mentions alex smith

stop over modding

I second that.
As long as the qb is more accurate than smith. But my list would go palmer mcnabb bulger kolb jj then a rookie. But the first 4 are all more accurate even with a bad to avg ol and little weapons.

Now the niners have an improving ol besides rachal and who knows about davis.....vd gore crabtree so they will all help make the new starting qb better.

If its a rookie which i dont want to start i would go dalton then ponder for accuracy and thats it. If our qbs were more accurate last year we would of won three more games......remember how many tipped ints from high passes cost us games????

And as far as bradford goes...he has a good ol good rb and avg wrs which alex duplicated his td int ratio his first year under norv turner....so im not convinced on bradford at all. Especially with his rating and poor throws BEYOND FIVE YARDS. HE HAD SOME HORRIBLE passes for a qb rookie or no rookie. I remember watching games and saying good they are stuck with him for five or six more years and tgen hearing collinsworth tear him a new one playing sea after a misearble showing and some horrible inaccuracy on long throws and ints.

I think if we bring in an accurate qb rookie or not.....division is ours and the rest will eventually fall into place
So you think there will be a 2011 season?

Not looking pretty, getting worse and more acrimonious day by day. Brady and his lawsuit pals can ki$$ my a$$.

Sure we can start a rook, did it before can do it again..

Dalton or the other guy from, is it; TCU?
No one knows how the OL will respond in the second year for Davis and Lupati. Will they make a big jump? Or have a sophmore swoon? If the line can't protect a QB then having three or four very mobile QBs might be wise.

The WRs are also a big question. Are they as bad as they looked last year or as promising as they looked the year before?

The final question is Gore's health. If he can't come back completely, opponents won't have to account for his impact. He was added to the top 100 players on NFL TV because teams had to account for him, without that the 9ers might be much worse.

So, rookie QB or not, the 9ers need many things to go their way in order to be as good as last year. I have a great deal of faith in Harbaugh but not for the first year. It will likely take him two years to find all the pieces.
yea i agree that throwing a rookie QB out on the front lines isnt good because they turn out like alex smith and david carr but thats only because the o-lines were faulty causing the QBs to scamble way too fast with not enough to time to even look down the field. Yes our o-line gave up alot of sacks in '10 but you have to admit that we have alot of talent blocking and hopefully Harbaugh can unleash that talent
  • dmax
  • Veteran
if you have a great defense and a good offensive line go for it...if you dont

HECK NO

I second that.

This is NOT a thread about Smith. Consider this a verbal warning. Next time, you'll be formally warned for spamming and/or inciting. Thanks.

stop over modding

I second that.

I third it

Originally posted by WINiner:

I second that.

stop over modding

I second that.

I third it
  • Otter
  • Veteran

I second that.

stop over modding

I second that.

I third it

The original post mentioned him as a tangent in relation to the environment and coaching. This is about starting a rookie, not Smith.
Originally posted by Otter:

I second that.

stop over modding

I second that.

I third it

The original post mentioned him as a tangent in relation to the environment and coaching. This is about starting a rookie, not Smith.

stop
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I hope we start a rookie. It would only increase our chances at Andrew Luck.
Share 49ersWebzone