There are 278 users in the forums

starting a rookie QB in 2011...do the niners have the tools?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
YES!!!!!! the 49ers are undoubtly the most likely team to raise the next big rookie QB. Why? there are many reasons. When bringing in a new rookie QB, they need a couple of things around them to ensure they learn in the right environment (unlike Alex Smith). A starting rookie QB needs an outstanding runningback who can take the pressure off him and we have Gore. Gore can run the ball alot, pick up blitzes, and roll out to the side for a quick shortpass. With Gore by the side of any rokie QB they will not be over burdened by the pressure of carrying a whole team. Second, a team needs a an outstanding and young o-line to protect the rookie QB so that he does not end up like our only rostered QB, Carr. We have 3 1st round picks (Iupati, Davis, Staley), 2 2nd round picks (Rachal,Baas), and a highly valued Eic Heitmann. Even though they were uneffective in 2010, i believe in 2011 the former rookies will be much better better and hopefully Staley stays healthy and Heitmann recovers completely from his injury. Third, we need a QB guru......HARBAUGH. The thing that Jed York ensured for the 49ers when hiring Harbaugh was that Harbaugh would be able to bring 49ers the next legend QB.

We have all the tools and anyone we pick to represent us, i believe will be an outstanding player. But who?????? thought....questions.....suggestions?
  • cgida
  • Veteran
The Rams did it with Sam and they are less talented then we are.
I rather start out with a rookie who's ran a pro style offence then have a guy like Bulger, Edwards, Hasselback or Smith.
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM ]
Our O-Line was better in 2006 then it is now. Right now our line has potential. Back then it was solid and we had depth.

Gore was also there in 2006.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
anyone but Alice Smith.....
I absolutely don't want to start a rookie... at least not till mid-season at the earliest. You just should never start rookies at QB, no matter what their draft status. That would be like taking a brand new med school grad and making him your chief of surgury.

Pressure = mistakes when it comes to rookies. Anyone who plays QB for this team is going to be under a TON of pressure. So why not let a veteran take the heat... even if it means we loose all of our games.

We have to do things right this time around. I would rather see Alex Smith or even David Carr start at QB than throw another high draft pick to the wolves and relive the past 6 years all over again!
Originally posted by fly15:

I second that.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

I second that.

This is NOT a thread about Smith. Consider this a verbal warning. Next time, you'll be formally warned for spamming and/or inciting. Thanks.
Yes i believe they have the tools to start a rookie ... as long as it the right rookie... i think Jake Locker is that guy but i don't think Harbaugh feels the same way considering he's shown no interest at all ... Hopefully he's right and this i'm wrong otherwise Locker is gonna be playing us 2 times a year in Seattle, Sure Locker needs some work but what rookie doesn't, but not many rookies come to the NFL with talent Locker brings to the table... think Steve Young 2.0
Yep, I'm in to start a rookie QB vs. pursuing a vet FA. Question is...will we go Gabbart if he's at 7?

or draft a QB in the 2nd?
[ Edited by NinerGold39 on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM ]

if that QB is Sam Bradford, yes.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

I second that.

This is NOT a thread about Smith. Consider this a verbal warning. Next time, you'll be formally warned for spamming and/or inciting. Thanks.

the original post even mentions alex smith

stop over modding
This is probally not the year to start a rookie quarterback. With the lockout and a new coach we're going to be behind the curve from the get go.

I don't care if we draft a rookie I still want Alex on our team and competing for the starting gig.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
NOOOO! It takes time for ANY rookie at any position to learn the pro style offense or defense, let alone at the QB position. Our O-line suffered because we had a 20 year old right tackle in Anthony Davis starting and he gave up a lot of sacks.
if that rookie was say Andrew Luck then yes maybe but not with any of the QBs in this draft. Either trade for Palmer/Kolb or Orton or sign Bulger.
Share 49ersWebzone