LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Gore in top 100/ voted on by players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can't believe all the Willis hating thats going on here.

Willis is our only great player on the roster, the only one that is possibly HOF bound.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
They have Patrick Willis vs Ray Lewis featured on NFL.com's front page. He is gonna be high on that list.

I'm for certain Willis will be ahead of Lewis (by maybe 1 or 2 spots), it'll be one of those controversial picks to piss viewers off.

Pat will be in the top 10.

I don't know he's got some offensive names to get ahead of. Manning, Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Chris Johnson, AP just to name a few

Dont matter bro because Willis is the best at his position and he recognized around the entire league.

I still feel like he's missing a couple key elements before I start talking about greatness.

Personally, I need to see him make game changing plays at crtitical times against top tier offenses. I need to see him rally the team to get import stops late in the fourth quarter.

When it comes to tackling and getting to the ball, there is no one better. Obviously, his stats are off the charts. However, it's the intangables that I've mentioned that I have yet to see.

If I had to start a defense I would take Lewis over anyone I can think of. He has an "it" factor that's bigger than his play. Lewis vs Willis today, is a reasonable discussion. Willis vs. Lewis in him prime is laughable.

JMHO.

Can you provide some links or evidence of any kind about these "intangibles" that Ray Lewis displays? Because personally, and no offense, I think you're full of sh*t. Intangibles are a crock.

Ray Lewis plays in a defense with Ed Reed(best safety in league) Terrell Suggs(top 5, top 10 pass rusher) and the hands down best lineman in the league, Haloti Ngata eating up defenders for him. Willis has NONE OF THAT. He has on "okay" NT in Franklin, no pass rush help AT ALL, and no one even close to ed Reed's talent in the secondary.

If by intangibles, you mean making game saving stops when the game is on the line, well, I can tell you right now that Willis would be making those plays if he had Ngata in front of him.

Willis is THE ONLY great player on this team. Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Justin Smith are all pretty good to very good. A Patrick Willis only comes around once every 10 years.

I think you are the same guy who said a 1 gap 3-4 defense is the same as, a 2 gap 3-4 defense, so I'm really questioning your football knowledge here and I think you are hiding behind this mythological crocked up intangible theory to hide the fact that you don't know how to evaluate talent that well.
I thought this was a Frank Gore thread?
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Apr 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by TheSaboteur:
They have Patrick Willis vs Ray Lewis featured on NFL.com's front page. He is gonna be high on that list.

I'm for certain Willis will be ahead of Lewis (by maybe 1 or 2 spots), it'll be one of those controversial picks to piss viewers off.

I don't know he's got some offensive names to get ahead of. Manning, Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Chris Johnson, AP just to name a few

Dont matter bro because Willis is the best at his position and he recognized around the entire league.

I still feel like he's missing a couple key elements before I start talking about greatness.

Personally, I need to see him make game changing plays at crtitical times against top tier offenses. I need to see him rally the team to get import stops late in the fourth quarter.

When it comes to tackling and getting to the ball, there is no one better. Obviously, his stats are off the charts. However, it's the intangables that I've mentioned that I have yet to see.

If I had to start a defense I would take Lewis over anyone I can think of. He has an "it" factor that's bigger than his play. Lewis vs Willis today, is a reasonable discussion. Willis vs. Lewis in him prime is laughable.

JMHO.

Can you provide some links or evidence of any kind about these "intangibles" that Ray Lewis displays? Because personally, and no offense, I think you're full of sh*t. Intangibles are a crock.

Ray Lewis plays in a defense with Ed Reed(best safety in league) Terrell Suggs(top 5, top 10 pass rusher) and the hands down best lineman in the league, Haloti Ngata eating up defenders for him. Willis has NONE OF THAT. He has on "okay" NT in Franklin, no pass rush help AT ALL, and no one even close to ed Reed's talent in the secondary.

If by intangibles, you mean making game saving stops when the game is on the line, well, I can tell you right now that Willis would be making those plays if he had Ngata in front of him.

Willis is THE ONLY great player on this team. Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Justin Smith are all pretty good to very good. A Patrick Willis only comes around once every 10 years.

I think you are the same guy who said a 1 gap 3-4 defense is the same as, a 2 gap 3-4 defense, so I'm really questioning your football knowledge here and I think you are hiding behind this mythological crocked up intangible theory to hide the fact that you don't know how to evaluate talent that well.

Sorry, Pwilly. I didn't mean to offend you. You're a great football player, but you're no Ray Lewis.

Ray Lewsis also plays in a much tougher division against much tougher opponents. He doesn't have the luxury of playing every clown ass team in the NFC West twice. So yeah, Willis doesn't have the talent around him, but he also isn't playing the same level of competion week in and week out. When we do play good teams, we lose. At the end of the day your argument is based on speculation or "ifs" (If Willis had....If Willis.....) Lewis might be surrounded with talent, but he was also the greatest player/ heart and soul of one of the most dominate defenses in history. They won a Super Bowl with that defense.

I am a Willis fan, big time. He's the best player on our team by far. I just dont know that he is a leader of men.

P.S. I didn't say a 1 gap and 2 gap are the same. I just posted a video of a College coach saying that practically the lineman end up doing the same thing.

For the record, my evaluation takes into account more than just on field play.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Gore is the most underrated player on this board. God only knows what he would be with a competent offense so that the defense didnt focus on him 100%.

Roger Craig had "Joe Cool" Montana to distract the defense and force them to respect the pass.

Gore had "Captain Checkdown" Smith to encourage the defense to ignore the pass and stack the box against the run.

yeah, big difference. Gore would do a lot better with a real QB to put some fear into the heart of opposing defenses.
  • B650
  • Veteran
The top 100? Yipee. I remember in the old days we had like 2 or 3 guys in the top 10.

JMHO.

Game tying pick 6

Game saving tackle in OT

I couldnt find the video, but when P-Willy sack and stripped Sam Bradford last year late in the game.
And when he stuffed S-Jax literally 3 plays straight when Rams were trying to run the clock out.
Ya we lost, but it was Willis that gave us a chance to win.

Im pretty sure theres a couple more, those are just on the top of my head

Willis is our only great player on the roster, the only one that is possibly HOF bound.

I would say VD is possibly HOF bound. You wouldn't?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

No not yet I wouldnt. So far he's only had one good year since being drafted. Willis has been in the pro bowl every year of his career so far.

not even close at this point..he has the talent, absolutely. But he needs the production.

that on top of the fact that tight ends seem to be one of the last positions to get consideration, you have to REALLY be one of the best for HOF consideration at TE.

It felt like Gore really fell off last year, but I'm not sure how much of that was Sing and his idiotic game plans? It did seem like he struggled to break one man tackles, which he had no problem with in the past. I'm concerned Sing ran Gore into the ground, like water dripping on a rock.

He was second in the league for total yards from scrimmage before he got hurt. Doesn't sound like someone who has fallen off.

So, unless you're saying Willis is the greatest of all time, you're hating? Got it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erRider:

So, unless you're saying Willis is the greatest of all time, you're hating? Got it.

No Im not saying that.
Originally posted by MaliCali:

not even close at this point..he has the talent, absolutely. But he needs the production.

that on top of the fact that tight ends seem to be one of the last positions to get consideration, you have to REALLY be one of the best for HOF consideration at TE.

He said possibly.
I think he can possibly become a HOF player.
I mean he already tied the record for most TDs by a TE in one season.
I dont see him getting any worse, especially since we have Harbaugh now and Harbaugh knows how to use his tite ends.

and he shouldve been in the pro bowl alst year, I cant believe Tony gonzo made it over him
Originally posted by 49erRider:

No Im not saying that.

Then please point out all the Willis "hating" that's going on. The man isn't perfect. Nobody is. He's presented as a god around here and if you point out any flaw in his game, you're hating on him. That's the way it is.

I agree he is our best player. I agree he will be HoF-bound. However, I also agree that he doesn't make huge plays against good offenses when they're needed most. He's a tackle machine, but he doesn't often make game-changing plays. Is that his fault? Probably not. It's kinda hard to do those things when your coordinator turns into a quivering little girl towards the end of games and starts calling laid-back plays, you don't have much of a pass rush and you're working with a horrible secondary. Still, the fact remains..

[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:27:19 ]
Share 49ersWebzone