LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

Eric Davis is new 49er color analyst, Plummer apparently out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'm not a fan of this move. Gary got pretty damn good at the color spot. Eric is kinda boring. With the mild mannered Ted at the play by play, I'm wondering where the excitement will come from.

From the next guy who comes in hopefully after Robinson's ass is fired in the next year or so.

I'd rather listen to Matt Vasgersian than Ted Robinson. At least his voice conveys passion for the game of football.
Somehow, this commentator swap will lead us to a CHAMPIONSHIP
This really sucks, Plummer not only was a very analyst, but he was excited about plays and always called out bad play, including Sings gaffs...

Is it not possible for even the radio station to do anything right?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Somehow, this commentator swap will lead us to a CHAMPIONSHIP

Indeed. It's on its way:

-9fA
Havent listened to a 49er game on the radio ever....but have listened to him on the postgame and he was very good.
What a bummer. I did not like seeing Starkey go, and now Davis is out too. Hopefully we can rely on a good team.
So our new ANALyst is Sideshow Bob
Originally posted by RedAu:
Originally posted by 9erB4Us:
Bottom Line...Gary Plummer told it like it is, Eric Davis Will Not Tell It Like It Is...Plain & Simple.

"I said flat out, if I say something negative, will I go to the principal's office," Davis said by phone Monday afternoon. "They said we want you to say what you want."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=86331#ixzz1IbT7u8Vm

So no I don't think so, which begs the question why no more Plummer? He might have gotten another job maybe. I thought he was a pretty good.

We'll see...but from what I have seen of Eric Davis he is a "Company Yes Man."
[ Edited by 9erB4Us on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM ]
Eric Davis as a player , Eric Davis as an analyst . Another thing, what's wrong with Ted Robinson? I always thought he was a good announcer. At least he was when he did Giants games in the mid 90's. I heard that he doesn't convey passion for football when broadcasting. Maybe he just has a voice better suited for baseball. Keep in mind that I don't listen to games on the radio. I live in the television viewing area, so I was just wondering,please educate me.
As i live in Iceland i have been stuck with the 49ers on the Radio for alot of years now. Now we got NFL Gamepass available in Iceland but i can tune the TV broadcast to the 49ers Radio so its a dream come true. I loved Starkey but Ted Robinson did a very good job, he does have a good voice and is actually better than Starkey in a lot of ways.

Plummer i loved and i am surprised that he has not been picked up by the bigger networks. To listen to his insights is better then anything out there. He is the best colour commentator in football, hands down. But he was very outspoken last season and thats why he is out. He was very critical of the team during the games. Bad move by the Niners.

• dj43
As others have suggested, I believe a good part of the reason Plummer is out is because he was too candid for ownership's liking. The excuse that he lives in SD and is therefore unable to participate in community events is a smokescreen. It is just a short plane ride up the coast. Phony cover-up.

Plummer's game analysis, not only of defense but offense as well was very good. He was better than most of the national team guys that came through town. I listened to the radio while taping the TV and then compared the commentary - Plummer was always more insightful and accurage.

On Ted Robinson: I MUCH prefer him over Starkey. Starkey improved over the years but he made a lot of mistakes in calling plays and just never seemed to grasp the bigger picture of what was happening in a game. Robinson has a better voice and is already better at analyzing what is happening in the game than Starkey way.

I don't care for Davis at all. I just don't see the talent there. I predict he will have a short career in the booth.
Problem is that Eric Davis' English is horrible. He can't articulate at all and reminds me a lot of Emmitt Smith.
Just gonna throw this out there, but am I the only one seeing a connection between Plummer starting in 98 and the team SUCKING A$$ ever since?

Call me superstitious (I am), but the winds of change are a-blowin' and I likey.
Well i dont mind Eric too much, but think's his analysis are wishy washy from time to time. Meaning one week he'll be saying this on his show, then the next week saying this, then the next week that. And im pertaining all towards the same subject for the week.

I mean i've seen him talk about the QB position and flip flopping more than ex presidential nominee John Kerry on behalf of the War.

I like that he speaks his mind, but i've noticed his mind has changed countless times, after talking with this person or that. And im like just form ur own opinion, and stick with it, regardless of personal opinion.

Either way should be an interesting year.
Ugh I hate listening to Davis broadcast. I facepalm every time I listen to him and O'Donnell during the preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone