There are 148 users in the forums

Worst 49ers beat writer???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 190836:
Cohn is the best, followed by T.K and Lynch. The real beat writers, two Matts and Branch are ok, but not great.

Wha!? Are you kidding? Or by best do you mean worst? April fools?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
He spelled someone's name wrong

Not just missed spellings, he also got the coaches mixed up.

"With Ed Donatell as their defensive coordinator, one of the founding fathers of the NFL's 3-4 revival, the 49ers are likely to stay with the scheme. Nevertheless, going to 4-3 could be intriguing."

How hard is it to proof read and double check your sources? There's just no excuse for that kind of incompetence. Kevin Lynch is just plain lazy and doesn't care and it shows in his articles.
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
Cohn is the best, followed by T.K and Lynch. The real beat writers, two Matts and Branch are ok, but not great.

I sense a bit of sarcasm here....
I don't have a "worst" rating. I read both Barrows and Maiocco for their knowledge of the team and general professionalism. I would give Barrows a slight edge because he has a sense of humor and a better "just one of the guys" demeanor.

EDIT: I also like Eric Branch at the P-D.
[ Edited by ncninerfan on Apr 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:

I sense a bit of sarcasm here....

Damn inflectionless text.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Kevin Lynch is the worst.

^This...
Originally posted by postonhater:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's easily Cohn.

-9fA

Totally agree. Cohn is terrible. Maiocco is awesome and Branch is on the rise. I really like his work
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Otter:
I think all of the 49ers beat writers do a good job.

kiss ass

Originally posted by Otter:
I think all of the 49ers beat writers do a good job.

.... for me to poop on!
  • bret
  • Veteran
People are all over Kevin Lynch, but throwing aside the fact that he's really not a beat writer, he writes some interesting stuff, when he's not blowing it completely with something stupid or flat out wrong! David White, I don't know about yet, but he certainly hasn't distinguished himself yet.

To me the worst beat writer by far is Dan Brown. I can't think of one time he's had a story first; inevitably he spouts he Niners' press brass' propaganda or quotes other reporters. And the fact that he basically signs out for the off-season shows he just doesn't get it!

To me Barrows is the best; but he'd better watch his ass, because Eric Branch is coming on strong with a number of stories showing he's not afraid to think outside the box. And he seems to understand that for the Faithful, the Niners are more than Alex, Frank, Patrick, Vernon and Crabtree.

Cohn and T.K. are columnists. I'm not much of a fan of either one in that capacity. But their job is different from a beat writer. They are suppose to express opinions. Beat writers report on the team. MM and MB sometimes let opinion or point of view slip through but that isn't their main job. Actually among the beat writers Branch gives strongest opinions. I really like the job MM and MB do but I have more and more have come to appreciate the job Branch does.
I'm soo glad to see this forum because I was just thinking about how garbage Kevin Lynch is! He gets player and coaches names wrong and is always drawing stupid conclusions. I told him that he sounded more like a "Niner Outsider" more than a "Niner Insider" and he got offended and responded in his next crappy piece.

I also think Lowell Cohn sucks. He's soo negative and I never agree. But he's not the reg. So Lynch def takes the best of the worst.

Maiocco was best at PD. Now he seems a little over worked being on TV and all.

Barrows and Branch are pretty solid. Oh and Kawakami just follows everyone else.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
I don't know who the worst is right now but I'm a big David White fan.He is the best right now.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for Norcal9erfan.
"to keep up the Joneses"

"That's just who are they/you are"

Huh??

Want more Davis? Here you go!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
"to keep up the Joneses"

"That's just who are they/you are"

Huh??

Want more Davis? Here you go!

Share 49ersWebzone