There are 162 users in the forums

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Insert random third stringer here.

Carson Palmer or Bulger are possibilities but way too hard to tell what will happen with this damn lockout.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

Carson Palmer or Bulger are possibilities but way too hard to tell what will happen with this damn lockout.

Agreed on Johnson. ;)

As for Palmer, he falls in the same boat as Palmer, as acquiring him would necessitate a trade, which might be hard if a deal isn't reached until after the draft. As far as short term veterans go, I'd be more inclined to spend a little more on a FA (Bulger, Hasselback, Alex) than to give up something for a guy like Palmer, who seems to be at a point in his career in which he's more valuable to Cincy (knowing their system) than he would be to anybody else. If we're going to trade, someone like Josh Johnson who could still have upside would be the choice, imo. Johnson also isn't a starter and as a result is worth less to Tampa than Palmer is to Cincy.
So I see that mods not only locked my Alex Smith thread from last night, but they actually deleted it too? SMH.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
So I see that mods not only locked my Alex Smith thread from last night, but they actually deleted it too? SMH.

Yes, any Alex Smith thread has a 95% chance to get locked around here due to the melee it creates between prototypical Alex Smith haters like myself, and the Alex Smith fanboys. It's actually becoming quite the rivalry.

The lovers like to throw around pointless statistics and Alexcuses.. tryin to somehow prove that Alex Smith is amongst the top echelon of QBs in the league. The haters just say that he sucks, which is the sad reality of things. Number one overall pick, 6 years in the league, and still has not even become a decent QB. He will forever be mediocre or worse.
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

So you would start Ponder? A 2nd round rookie? That's pretty bold. Johnson is solid depth though. I'd rather have Ponder compete with Alex for the first string with Johnson as the emergency guy.

Last I heard, Harbaugh worked out with Alex Smith. Next I know, we now need to draft not 1, but 2 quarterbacks next month. So we know now that Alex "isnt".
Originally posted by TheCatch:

Last I heard, Harbaugh worked out with Alex Smith. Next I know, we now need to draft not 1, but 2 quarterbacks next month. So we know now that Alex "isnt".

huh??
Originally posted by TheCatch:

Reading tea leaves? They need to draft at least two QBs unless the CBA is settled and they can bring in FAs that Harbaugh likes, Smith or no Smith. At the moment they sit with Carr being their only QB, so a second/third rounder and a sixth/seventh rounder would be OK by me unless they like one of the early guys--Gabbert or Newton.

One of the things I liked about a recent Walsh video posted was his assessment that Montana was extremely coachable. He listened and practiced doing things correctly, making changes that were suggested. We don't know how coachable any of this years QBs are, so whether Newton is just coaching away from the probowl, or Dalton, is a guess. Smith is coachable as all his QB coaches have stated, almost to a fault. Gets him thinking too much.

If they plan to bring Smith back, I hope Harbaugh had the good sense to hook him up with an unemployed QB coach to work with during the lockout. Harbaugh could have given the coach some tape and a plan. Or, two rookies and Carr...or...
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

So you would start Ponder? A 2nd round rookie? That's pretty bold. Johnson is solid depth though. I'd rather have Ponder compete with Alex for the first string with Johnson as the emergency guy.

No, I wouldn't start Ponder, I would start Josh Johnson. That's why I listed him first.

Think about it... Johnson has the experience working with Harbaugh and knowledge of his system. That puts him miles above anybody else with this lockout they're dealing with and it's vital to give us any sort of chance at success.

Plus, Johnson is still a largely unknown commodity. He only got booted from the starting spot because Tampa wanted their first round pick Freeman in there and he flourished so they never went back to Johnson.

If it turns out that Johnson is more than a one-year bandaid and actually becomes successful, then we have an ideal situation and trade bait with Ponder on the roster.

The more I think of this, the more I feel it's the best possible scenario for the team this year considering the lockout.
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

No, I wouldn't start Ponder, I would start Josh Johnson. That's why I listed him first.

Not gonna happen, think of something else.

Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

Why? Because you say so??? That's actually a very feasible plan. If not Josh, it will be another FA or trade, but that's exactly how its going to be.

Veteran of some form (Not Alex)
Rookie
Who cares
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

Why? Because you say so??? That's actually a very feasible plan. If not Josh, it will be another FA or trade, but that's exactly how its going to be.

Rookie
Who cares

Josh Johnson as our starter for next year is ridiculous, that's why. As a backup sure.
From what I've heard, Carson Palmer is absolutely not going to be traded out of Cincinnati. There’s a 0% chance that Mike Brown is going to trade him. He’s already stated that he doesn’t see any value in trading him – you wouldn’t say that if you were trying to shop him around. Besides, Palmer is on the decline.

Same with Bulger, I’d pass on him too. Chad Pennington, while he is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL, is the Mr. Glass of quarterbacks.

Kevin Kolb is a possibility but for some reason I don’t see the trade happening.

I'm guessing that Jim Harbaugh is going to want to rebuild at the QB position through the draft, which is why I’m guessing Christian Ponder is the future for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder

Rookie
Who cares

Josh Johnson as our starter for next year is ridiculous, that's why. As a backup sure.

Again, that is your opinion. WHY is it crazy? Explain your opinion with facts and not with your usual "stone cold said so" attitude.

What physical or mental traits is Josh missing that have you thinking it is such a crazy idea for him to come back to the coach that developed him and was able to get good production out of him??
Well in looking at the F/A, it's not bad to include Josh Johnson being that he has a history to a degree with our HC. However, lets not be too quick to say that this makes him ahead of the rest. I remember a situation where Martz brought in JTO sucky because he supposedly knew the offense well, and we know how that turned out.

Now please am i comparing, hell no. But it's the same idea, just bringing a guy in because of past history, and college history at that.

If the Draft happens before an agreement, the only sensible QB i see to bring in is Smith. I mean do i care if it's him or not, hell no. But out of all the F/A QB's that MAY become available, i cant see us making a run for Kolb, or Palmer. I just cant see us breaking the bank to pick up an unproven, or almost over the hill QB. I'd take Palmer over Kolb, but i mean Palmer had Chad Ocho, and TO, who i honestly thought would of put them over the top. But at times, Palmer seemed lost. A little more than I expected him to look.

I see maybe Smith, Johnson, and a rookie, maybe Kaepernick(or however u spell it), Ponder, or another rookie

[ Edited by Jersey9er on Mar 29, 2011 at 13:26:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone