There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does the new rule change regarding kick offs help the 49ers?

What I mean is, it seems to me that it's a rule favoring the defense since you can pin the other team inside the 10 easier because you're kicking from the 35 instead of the 30. You also get more touchbacks. It seems to me that quite often, the other team had pretty good field position after we'd score and at the start of a half. We seemed to have a hard time IMO containing the speedy returners. I can think of 1 game that unfavorable field position cost us just off the top of my head(the 2009 game at Seattle where they got the ball at the 41 or something like that and only needed 20 or 30 yards to get into FG range).

We are mainly a defensive team. Our defense wasn't great but they are probably the strength of our team, since we don't have a great QB and our recievers are pretty young and unpolished. We'll probably add to the defensive talent we have by drafting one of Peterson, Miller, or Quinn. We don't score very many TDs but we have a good kicker so we are able to get a lot of FGs. The only problem is, when the other team gets the ball at the 35 or the 40, it's pretty easy for them to match our FG with one of theirs even if they're unable to score a TD on that play.

Thoughts? I don't like the rule very much as it affects the game, but if it helps our team out I'll gladly take it.
If we keep Fabrizzio Scaccia, or however you spell his name, it does. We can eliminate returns late in games and force teams to drive the length of the field assuming we're scoring late to take a lead. However, if our defense is anything like last year, it may not make a difference.

I do not ever wish to see anything like the Falcons game ever again.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 22, 2011 at 19:30:33 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we keep Fabrizzio Scaccia, or however you spell his name, it does. We can eliminate returns late in games and force teams to drive the length of the field assuming we're scoring late to take a lead. However, if our defense is anything like last year, it may not make a difference.

SHHHHH......we should not speak of such events ever again.

Wait, did we already replace Nedney and I'm not aware of it? Only other kicker I remember is Shane Andrus.
It doesnt help us it doesent help anyone...the nfl is killing the game
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Wait, did we already replace Nedney and I'm not aware of it? Only other kicker I remember is Shane Andrus.

We can't and haven't replaced anyone.
it helps against the hawks and leon washington.
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

UFL kicker signed to the practice squad at the end of the last season.
Yeah, cause we suck s**t on both sides of the ball when it comes to special teams!
It only helps Joe Nedney who usually only kicks the ball to about the 10 yd line. Other than that the rule stinks.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Good call on Scaccia, He can put it thru the uprights from the 35
..Though I doubt he replaces Nedney (yet)
but he looks like a potential very good NFL kicker, and could eventually take over Ned's spot,, he also has become quite good at field goals

Nedney still wont get many touchbacks, I think it may be worth it to carry a second kicker who is going to consistantly create touchbacks

* Field Position!!!
* Less ware and tear on special teamers
* when ya need someone to try a 65 yard FG
* Backup/Future FG kicker already on team

[ Edited by cools on Mar 22, 2011 at 23:27:53 ]
Originally posted by cools:
Good call on Scaccia, He can put it thru the uprights from the 35
..Though I doubt he replaces Nedney (yet)
but he looks like a potential very good NFL kicker, and could eventually take over Ned's spot,, he also has become quite good at field goals

Nedney still wont get many touchbacks, I think it may be worth it to carry a second kicker who is going to consistantly create touchbacks

* Field Position!!!
* Less ware and tear on special teamers
* when ya need someone to try a 65 yard FG
* Backup/Future FG kicker already on team

We can use him just for kick offs for a year and groom him as a kicker. The cowboys did that with their big leg and he seemed to be a bright spot on a bad year for them!
Originally posted by 9er_84:

I dont care if the NFL made the game less exciting, if it helps us do better I'll be happy. I think it helps us because we haven't had great ST and we give up a lot of scores after we score. This could help our D pin the other team back and force punts from inside the 20 instead of the other team getting it at like the 35 or the 40. That'll help our pathetic offense too.
Originally posted by 9er_84:

No Roger Goodell is killing the game.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, cause we suck s**t on both sides of the ball when it comes to special teams!

You are wrong my friend, as long as we have Andy Lee and Brian Jennings, we are one of the best, if not the best punter/long snapper duos in all of the NFL.