LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 386 users in the forums

better FS SS tandem

Shop Find 49ers gear online

better FS SS tandem

hypotheticaly speaking if deshon get's picked up what tandem would you want to see.
Reggie Smith FS, Taylor Mays SS
Last season, right now, and for the foreseeable future, I want Goldson and Smith out of those 3.
Dashon and Reggie are more familiar than Taylor in just about every phase of the game.

I wasn't a fan of Mays getting drafted. I'm not huge on him now. But, I'm hoping he exceeds my expectations.
Originally posted by austrich:
Last season, right now, and for the foreseeable future, I want Goldson and Smith out of those 3.
Dashon and Reggie are more familiar than Taylor in just about every phase of the game.

I wasn't a fan of Mays getting drafted. I'm not huge on him now. But, I'm hoping he exceeds my expectations.

Cosigned.
I think it's one of the main areas the team needs to upgrade and not only with scheme but with personnel. I don't think the players we have are it.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Hmmmm one must wonder how much Mike Singletary's hyping up of Mays last season played into all the other praise he got from reporters and the like. I'm not trying to take anything away from Taylor Mays, and I actually do think he may be good one day, however I do sometimes think that he might not be as ready as Sing led so many to believe.

With that said I think this year our best option (out of the ones given) are with Dashon Goldson at FS and Reggie Smith and Mays taking over at SS eventually next year.

I also want to say that I will strive to keep Mike Singletary's name out of any future posts from myself....I just want to get as farrrrr away from this 8-Year Nightmare as possible
Who's Deshon Goldson?

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Mar 13, 2011 at 08:23:58 ]
i like smith as FS and goldson as SS
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i like smith as FS and goldson as SS

I'm kind of thinking that too.
I really dont think there is much difference at all between FS and SS. Theyre really interchangeable. I think Mays, Goldson, and Smith are all athletic enough to play either position. I want to see Smith and Mays starting at safety. Never been real big on Goldson. I dont think he'll ever be pro bowl caliber.
Smith was seen as a first rounder leading up to the '08 draft and slipped mainly because of his speed. I like the dude though and think he could be very good. I want to see him return some punts too.

42 46
i really would love to still have Michael Lewis, who I think got a raw deal, and we all saw and went with Singletary and his Bull.
Mays is a stiff.
Neither one. All our Safeties are average at best...including Micheal Lewis. Goldston showed signs of being a play maker but we know how he did last year.

Only chance we have at having good play from our safeties is if Goldston and Mays play to what we believe their potentials are. Other wise we are screwed at that position.
Mays has the greatest upside out of anyone that we have in our secondary. The kid was a beast at USC and if Pete hadn't convinced him to stick around there for another year he would have gone in the first round. I was stoked when we were able to pick him up in the second round last year.

He obviously lacks coverage skills, but I'm hoping he will catch on sooner than later.

[ Edited by hateroids84 on Mar 14, 2011 at 00:18:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone