There are 234 users in the forums

Postion Battles: WR and TE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Why Kyle Williams? As much as I like the kid's potential, he simply can't stay healthy!

Extra return man. Personally, I don't feel like we can have too many of them. I never ever want a repeat of '09. Ever.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Why Kyle Williams? As much as I like the kid's potential, he simply can't stay healthy!

Extra return man. Personally, I don't feel like we can have too many of them. I never ever want a repeat of '09. Ever.

We already have Ted Ginn Jr, Chris Culliver, Ronald Johnson, and Kendall Hunter.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110818/sports/110819448?p=all&tc=pgall

The 49ers’ wide receivers are on the verge of becoming relevant once again. At least that is coach Jim Harbaugh’s plan.
“It’s become somewhat of a irrelevant position,” Harbaugh said, “in terms of catching two or three balls a game and not running hard on the back side of routes, not getting in there and blocking.”

Those chores likely will fall on this quartet: Braylon Edwards, Michael Crabtree, Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn Jr.
Morgan and Ginn have served as the first-string wideouts most of training camp, although Edwards has become more ingrained in the offense after arriving two weeks ago. Crabtree hasn’t practiced all camp because of an injured left foot, which emerged this week from an orthopedic boot. The wide receivers’ increased stake in the 49ers’ offense coincides with Harbaugh’s revival of the West Coast system, made famous (and Super Bowl productive) by the late Bill Walsh.

“I really feel like (Harbaugh) is trying to make to get all of us into the game, a lot more than since I’ve been here, anyway,” said Morgan, who’s entering his fourth season.

There remains an obvious emphasis on downfield blocks that could help spring mainstay running back Frank Gore. But the receivers are learning a new array of routes, including a bevy of slant patterns, once a trademark during the 49ers’ days as a Super Bowl-winning dynasty.
“That is a good route for all our receivers,” Morgan said. “We’re big, good, fast and have moves after the catch. The slant route is like the first route you learn playing football, when you’re 8 years old. That’s the West Coast offense.” But the slant route hasn’t been deployed much in recent years.

“Put it like this: We ran them in the past, but there just wasn’t a big emphasis on them like now,” Morgan added. “As much as we ran them in the past, I don’t think we really threw to any.”

Determining which quarterback will target those receivers is an ongoing process, although Alex Smith remains the leading contender and has been praised by several receivers. To help establish chemistry, Smith often has stayed after practice and thrown passes to Edwards, a fellow 2005 first-round draft pick who’s been a playmaker for the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets.

“We’re trying to get this thing rolling, so we don’t have excuses,” Edwards said. “We don’t want that to be one of the things, going into the Seattle game or Dallas, Cincinnati or the Eagles game, where those guys are still learning each other.” Ginn, who started no games last year and is the 49ers’ top punt returner, said: “I’m just going out and trying to get my mind right about this offense and learn how to be effective in it.”

Whenever Crabtree rejoins that receiving corps on the field, his coaches and colleagues vow he’ll understand the importance of an all-around, relevant role. Crabtree is on the physically-unable-to-perform list and is expected to sit out his third exhibition campaign in as many seasons on the team. “He’s very smart. He’s in our meetings. He’s very attentive,” Edwards said of Crabtree. “He goes over the plays. He knows what he, as well as the other receivers, are supposed to be doing on all his plays.”
[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM ]
As it stands now, I believe we'll keep 6 WRs and 3 TEs.

WRs

1. Braylon Edwards
2. Michael Crabtree
3. Joshua Morgan
4. Ted Ginn Jr.
5. Ronald Johnson
6. Kyle Williams

TEs

1. Vernon Davis
2. Delanie Walker
3. Konrad Reuland
Is Byham out for the entire season?
As it stands now, I believe we'll keep 6 WRs and 3 TEs.

WRs

1. Braylon Edwards
2. Michael Crabtree
3. Joshua Morgan
4. Ted Ginn Jr.
5. Ronald Johnson
6. Kyle Williams

TEs

1. Vernon Davis
2. Delanie Walker
3. Konrad Reuland
I think joshua morgan will keep job for atleast 4 games while crabtree gets in game shape
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Is Byham out for the entire season?

He's not officially on IR, but I'm pretty sure.

We already have Ted Ginn Jr, Chris Culliver, Ronald Johnson, and Kendall Hunter.

RJ has yet to impress much in either practice or games so far. Disappointing. Easy drops are not helping. If WIlliams is healthy, he's much quicker, faster, stronger, better at blocking, and better at returning than Johnson with better hands. Johnson will make the team if we keep six, but he needs to do WAY better than he has so far.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

RJ has yet to impress much in either practice or games so far. Disappointing. Easy drops are not helping. If WIlliams is healthy, he's much quicker, faster, stronger, better at blocking, and better at returning than Johnson with better hands. Johnson will make the team if we keep six, but he needs to do WAY better than he has so far.

I completely agree

Alright everyone, IMO we have 6 guys that are locks for the position and 3 fighting for a practice squad spot.

1 Michael Crabtree
2 Braylon Edwards
3 Ted Ginn Jr
4 Josh Morgan
5 Kyle Williams
6 Ronald Johnson

IMO The 3 fighting it out for a taxi squad spot are: Lance Long, Kevin Jurovich, and Ziegler

I dont see Ziegler making the team b/c he is hurt now and missing crucial reps and also he is a Nolan/Sing guy.

What is the zone's opinion on Lance Long and Kevin Jurovich?
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Aug 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM ]
switch josh morgan and ted ginn

btw why all hte hate for morgan he is our most consistent WR

he is top 5 or 10 in nfl in YPA and also a top 10 #2 WR in nfl

rest of the list i agree with i like ron jons potential he can possibly evolve to a starter in nfl
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
switch josh morgan and ted ginn

btw why all hte hate for morgan he is our most consistent WR

he is top 5 or 10 in nfl in YPA and also a top 10 #2 WR in nfl

rest of the list i agree with i like ron jons potential he can possibly evolve to a starter in nfl

bro I didnt say anything about Morgan but he wont be #2 this year and 3 or 4 is the same thing with Ginn having a good
camp, its the second team offense.
LETS GO K-DUB!!!

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
bro I didnt say anything about Morgan but he wont be #2 this year and 3 or 4 is the same thing with Ginn having a good
camp, its the second team offense.

i shouldve been more clear i wasnt singling you out with hating Morgan ive seen many posts saying that he sucks and put him way down on the depth chart one guy even said that he shouldnt make the 53 man roster
Share 49ersWebzone