There are 163 users in the forums

Postion Battles: WR and TE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I think we will carry 6 WRs because of Crabtree's availability issue.

1 Edwards
2 Crabtree
3 Morgan
4 Ginn
5 K. Williams
6 Johnson

I see Ziegler being released because I believe he's not a P.S option.
Long and/or Jurovich on the P.S.

Hey Frisco are you going to create a "Position Battles Safety" thread? I think that would be a interesting topic.
Also the fact that Edwards may still face a suspension of anywhere from 1 to 4 games. Also no way Williams or Johnson clear waivers if released so I think they will keep six.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Also the fact that Edwards may still face a suspension of anywhere from 1 to 4 games. Also no way Williams or Johnson clear waivers if released so I think they will keep six.
I forgot about Edwards possible suspension. Also after reading the front page it appears Ginn is not guaranteed a spot because of constant drops and the new kickoff rule so that may open the door for another receiver as well.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Alright everyone, IMO we have 6 guys that are locks for the position and 3 fighting for a practice squad spot.

1 Michael Crabtree
2 Braylon Edwards
3 Ted Ginn Jr
4 Josh Morgan
5 Kyle Williams
6 Ronald Johnson

IMO The 3 fighting it out for a taxi squad spot are: Lance Long, Kevin Jurovich, and Ziegler

I dont see Ziegler making the team b/c he is hurt now and missing crucial reps and also he is a Nolan/Sing guy.

What is the zone's opinion on Lance Long and Kevin Jurovich?

1. Edwards
2. DIVA

That order. Otherwise the rest of your list and order seems fine.
When was the last time a 9er WR took a 5 yard slant to the house, made a spectacular catch, or lay out for a ball. It's been far too long, would Jeff Garcia have been a probowler without TO, or Young without Rice? Hopefully once our team gets this scheme down, we can finally see exciting football again. I just hope we have the talent to do it. Fingers are crossed!
Originally posted by gamechanger:
When was the last time a 9er WR took a 5 yard slant to the house, made a spectacular catch, or lay out for a ball. It's been far too long, would Jeff Garcia have been a probowler without TO, or Young without Rice? Hopefully once our team gets this scheme down, we can finally see exciting football again. I just hope we have the talent to do it. Fingers are crossed!

Well we haven't had TO or Rice for a long time. And Crabtree isn't in that category. Edwards is the best pure talent WR we have had in a long time. Not sure how he will do but he is a talented guy. Of course he is playing with a terrible O Line and questionable QB's. So it will hold him back some.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Alright everyone, IMO we have 6 guys that are locks for the position and 3 fighting for a practice squad spot.

1 Michael Crabtree
2 Braylon Edwards
3 Ted Ginn Jr
4 Josh Morgan
5 Kyle Williams
6 Ronald Johnson

IMO The 3 fighting it out for a taxi squad spot are: Lance Long, Kevin Jurovich, and Ziegler

I dont see Ziegler making the team b/c he is hurt now and missing crucial reps and also he is a Nolan/Sing guy.

What is the zone's opinion on Lance Long and Kevin Jurovich?

Lance Long got most of a half on the field against the Raiders. Johnson and Jurovich bare saw the field at all. It may be that the Niners are hiding Johnson, hoping that they can place him on the Practice Squad for a while, but Long appears to be the 6th receiver right now.
This is one year I could care less about who winning which battles because these coaches aren't idiots like Nolan and Singletary who couldn't see a tree if it were right in front of them. This coaching staff depth chart from what it looks like in preseason is exactly how I see it. No freaking better talent at the backup positions like Brooks, Reggie Smith (was looking to be our possible starter), Delanie, RJF on big formations...

For once, we have guys getting things right.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Lance Long got most of a half on the field against the Raiders. Johnson and Jurovich bare saw the field at all. It may be that the Niners are hiding Johnson, hoping that they can place him on the Practice Squad for a while, but Long appears to be the 6th receiver right now.

I am surprised as well that RoJo's not getting more looks in the preseason. I'm hoping it's because of what you said. I'd like to see how he develops given what I've read.
Gotta say, for once, I would be pretty happy with RoJo, Long, or Jurovich as our final 6th receiver to make the team.

Edwards
Crabtree
Morgan
Ginn Jr
Williams

RoJo
Long
Jurovich

As high as I am (was?) on RoJo and his attitude, I am getting this feeling that Lance Long could be our stud slot receiver. I read somewhere that he ran a 4.35, is a viable return guy, and had a 39" vertical. I know they are just numbers, but he looks like an ideal slot guy so far, and has more experience than the rest.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gamechanger:

Yes, Steve Young would have been a pro-bowler regardless...guy was a baller who holds the passer efficiency career record. You aren't efficient if you aren't accurate. He could do it all.

Sorry...Steve Young is my favorite player of all time. But I get what you are saying.

Zielger has no chance to make this team, hope he gets another job elsewhere not in Seattle
At this junction, players placed based on performance and potential:

WRs
1. Edwards
2. Morgan
3. Crabtree
4. Ginn
5. Williams
6. Johnson

If Crabtree desires the #2 receiver position immediately, he may have to demonstrate competence in timing with Alex Smith and the playbook before being given such responsibility. It could be doubtful whether he could accomplish that by week 1. Ronald Johnson could have the highest ceiling and it may be wise to develop him. His crisp routes and ability to evade tackles after the catch in college, might make him a worthwhile risk. Zeigler's injuries make it challenging for him, but he could be considered a wild card along with Jurovich and Long.

TEs
1. Vernon Davis
2. Delanie Walker
3. Conrad Reuland
[ Edited by 49erDynasty on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]
Zeigler's + was route running plus height and decent hands.

I think he has been pretty much replaced by BE.... Even if BE can't play a game or two, how is that different from Zeigler being on the team? And I do like Zeigler. I just think he's out.

We already have 3 Possession WRs in BE, Crabtree and Morgan. Should be balanced out by quick/fast guys. (i.e. Ginn, Williams, Long)

I think the final roster is 5 wrs

BE, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Williams

the final TE roster:

Davis, Walker, Reuland.

Maybe you have Reuland learn the WR routes as a #6 WR in case we have a couple WRs out?
WRs

Braylon Edwards
Michael Ctrabtree
Joshua Morgan
Ted Ginn Jr.
Kyle Williams

TEs

Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker
Konrad Reuland
Originally posted by PTulini:
WRs