LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Jerry Rice wants to be around 9ers more

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by DuhWinning:
If you are/were a great player that makes you a great coach, as we all know.

It seems players that were mediocre have better success coaching than the Hall of Fame types. Look at baseball, the great Ted Williams failed as a coach and Babe Ruth wasn't wanted, while a career .250 hitting back up like Billy Martin has great success. In basketball Pat Riley, a 7th or 8th man has great success and Magic Johnson bombs. I think they might expect too much, wondering why everyone can't be as good as them.
I agree Bob. Not all great players become great coaches. Some just have so much talent and the will to win its hard to coach that. In some situations it can workout good but for the most part I think the ones that are not really talented end up doing better.

I think your guys' sarcasm meters are broken. That was a shot at Singletary.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by DuhWinning:
If you are/were a great player that makes you a great coach, as we all know.

It seems players that were mediocre have better success coaching than the Hall of Fame types. Look at baseball, the great Ted Williams failed as a coach and Babe Ruth wasn't wanted, while a career .250 hitting back up like Billy Martin has great success. In basketball Pat Riley, a 7th or 8th man has great success and Magic Johnson bombs. I think they might expect too much, wondering why everyone can't be as good as them.
I agree Bob. Not all great players become great coaches. Some just have so much talent and the will to win its hard to coach that. In some situations it can workout good but for the most part I think the ones that are not really talented end up doing better.

I think your guys' sarcasm meters are broken. That was a shot at Singletary.

Someone from HQ throw money at Rice so he can come in and go through everything to be a WR in the WCO with the boys.
That would be great and as a former player, you would think Harbaugh would want and like the GOAT being around.
The ball is totally in Jed's court...Jed has to step up now...If he want to return the franchise back to what it was...then he has have the former greats involed...com'on Jed what's your call???
I agree, great players don't usually make great coaches. However, I don't think anyone with Jerry's passion and work ethic would fail. Oh, and about Billy Martin, he coached in the day when coaches had a lot of power and the complete backing of the owners. Billy Martin was a drunk, a bigot and a hot headed bully who did not show respect towards his players. Mr. October (Reggie Jackson) nearly punched his lights out several times. The guy was a slime ball who was given teams with a lot of talent that my grandmother could have coached to a championship.
Take Rice Jed, he can talk to Montana and Young to having a few sessions with the boys if you go about it the right way.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hitman49:
The ball is totally in Jed's court...Jed has to step up now...If he want to return the franchise back to what it was...then he has have the former greats involed...com'on Jed what's your call???

I don't think the Yorks care much about having the old guys around. They want have their own era and you can see where that is going.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Jerry is special.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Hitman49:

I don't think the Yorks care much about having the old guys around. They want have their own era and you can see where that is going.

I agree to a point IMO old man York did not want the players around because they all loved Eddie and would remind us of the glory days. Jed grew up around these players, worshipped them, some became his mento, hell the little b*****d got to sit on Jennifer Montana lap when he was 5.

Rice also showed he can evaluate talent look at how he helped Jackson in Philly become one of the best WR in the game. Still can't believe we picked a DL (now in Seattle) over Jackson.

Share 49ersWebzone