LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Fangio not impressed by Lawson (per Glenn Dickey article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/02/49ers-getting-track-lockout-looms#ixzz1EotVl8XQ

Quote:
Fangio believes in a 3-4 defense, with outside linebackers as primary pass rushers and frequent blitzes. He has apparently not been impressed by the play of Manny Lawson, now a free agent, so it’s unlikely the 49ers will try to persuade Lawson to return.

bad news i liked lawson a lot he was probally one of the best all around OLB in nfl and now were gonna have to find a replacement for him (hopefully laboy and brooks will be starters)
i wouldnt say hes one of the best all around. but still a good player
I agree. When we were passing on all those good FAs the past couple years (and hearing that we are saving our money to resign our own guys), he was one of the players I wanted us to sign. Oh well.
I'm not quite sure how much stake I want to put into that little tidbit.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm not quite sure how much stake I want to put into that little tidbit.

-9fA

ur right they are no quotes so its hard to tell what he said exactly
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im liking the way Fangio thinks.

bye bye Lawson.
"apparently"
Nowhere in the article does Fangio say anything about Lawson. Fangio doesn't imply it and isn't even quoted.

The Fangio not impressed with Lawson part of the article is what Dickey inferred and assumes.

There are no quotes in this article, no new news or scoops. Everyone knows that in a 3-4, the pass rush comes from the OLBs.. Duh!!

Dickey is just expressing his opinion. It's a pretty lame article IMO.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Nowhere in the article does Fangio say anything about Lawson. Fangio doesn't imply it and isn't even quoted.

The Fangio not impressed with Lawson part of the article is what Dickey inferred and assumes.

There are no quotes in this article, no new news or scoops.

... and there it is.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

There are no quotes in this article, no new news or scoops. Everyone knows that in a 3-4, the pass rush comes from the OLBs.. Duh!!

No the quote and the article say "apparently". So likely this is what Dickey is hearing from his sources, be it reliable or not. Heresay is what it is based off of, could be true or could be false.

Lawson is likely to make some team with a 4-3 defense very happy.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Lawson is likely to make some tree very happy.

Agreed.
Well if it is true, it sucks he's not under contract so we could trade him and get something for him instead of just letting him walk.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Well if it is true, it sucks he's not under contract so we could trade him and get something for him instead of just letting him walk.

We wouldn't get much. Doesn't create sacks. Besides, he walks, he'd be a nice compensatory pick later being that he was a 1st round pick as well as a longtime starter. Probably better then if we had secured a trade. He is a total edge setter/coverage backer that only gets pressure on stunts or by scheme. Never wins his one-on-one battles rushing the passer.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110223/sports/110229818?p=1&tc=pg

Bits and pieces--
Quote:

On Alex Smith
“I would send him on his way,” Razzano finally managed to enunciate. “He may not find any suitors. Teams aren’t going to line up to sign him unless as a backup.”
--
“I know,” Razzano said. “Harbaugh is starting to be enamored of him. I understand that. Coaches are positive guys and they always think they can improve players. Harbaugh has been looking at cut-ups of Smith’s best plays — he won’t see him fumbling in the fourth quarter. And he’s thinking, ‘I can work with this guy.’ Harbaugh is thinking he wants to start with a clean slate (with Smith). But Smith already has gotten two coaches fired.”

On using their first round pick on a QB
“Cam Newton is the only quarterback with potential they can use that pick on,” Razzano continued. “Not Blaine Gabbert (Missouri), not in the first round. He’s Andrew Walter (who played, not so well, for the Raiders). He’s a fringe guy. Gabbert should go in the third or fourth round. He will get way over-drafted.”

On Jake Locker
“I love Locker,” Razzano said. “People are concerned about his accuracy. I’m not. He’s going to be good in the NFL when he’s surrounded by talent. At Washington he had no offensive line and only one receiver. But there’s only one top-10 quarterback and that’s Newton.”

On Harbaugh's Power vs. Baalke's
“Harbaugh is an opinionated guy,” Razzano said. “His opinion could be more of a determining factor than the GM’s (Trent Baalke). They’re paying him $25 million. I always say, ‘follow the money.’”

Interesting read. Any thoughts on Razzano? Certainly his dad has credibility, but I know nothing about him.

(Let's TRY not to turn this into an Alex Smith thread.) It's interesting that Razzano says Harbaugh only sees Alex Smith's good cut-ups. Do you think that's entirely true though? I would think that Harbaugh would be presented with the NOTABLE film--both good AND bad.

The MOST interesting thing I thought is that Razzano thinks Harbaugh's opinion could overrule Baalke. They seem to be on the same page, but who knows how that could turn out.
Share 49ersWebzone