There are 242 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
There is no quitting in football, this is not a preseason game. Regardless of what the score is, if your on the losing end of the game you play until the end. If harbaugh pulls his players, what message are you sending your team? Injuries happen it is what it is, i would understand if your saying leaving your players there if the niners are winning, but thats not the case so you leave them and play. If he also pulls his players, there will be fans that wont be happy and this thread will probably say something like " Harbaugh quit" .
Originally posted by susweel:
Jim Harbaugh on honk-gate involving Seahawks' team bus on Oct. 18 ... "I can't think of a time of a time where ...

... I've left the game and the other team's still been there this entire offseason." After last night's game, Seahawks players told Yahoo! Sports that Harbaugh drove by their buss after the 49ers' victory in October, honked his horn and otherwise mocked them as he left the parking lot.

This is pretty funny because that was OCT 18, they bring that up now? why didn't they say that before?
Jim Harbaugh does have ego as with all of the head coaches in the NFL. But JH is the best thing that ever happen to the 49ers since Steve Marriucci or since 1994. Finally, the 49ers is back to respectable. I don't care what anyone says. I don't care if no other coaches like him. I like his unconventional way of doing things and "don't care what others" think of him. His smart and tough. I like how he coaches and how he run this team. His tough, knows xs and Os, and he knows football. Yes, he does have an ego, I wish his ego is big enough and determine to kick Pete and Seahwaks butt nextt time. As long as his in charge, the 49ers will stay competitive.

Note: 3 Road games to GB, NO and NE. Record 3-0. I like his ego!!!
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by susweel:
Jim Harbaugh on honk-gate involving Seahawks' team bus on Oct. 18 ... "I can't think of a time of a time where ...

... I've left the game and the other team's still been there this entire offseason." After last night's game, Seahawks players told Yahoo! Sports that Harbaugh drove by their buss after the 49ers' victory in October, honked his horn and otherwise mocked them as he left the parking lot.

This is pretty funny because that was OCT 18, they bring that up now? why didn't they say that before?
Carrol Im sure told his players that it was Harbaugh to pump them up for the next game, wouldn't surprise me one bit, guy is a piece of work.
There is no quitting in football, this is not a preseason game. Regardless of what the score is, if your on the losing end of the game you play until the end. If harbaugh pulls his players, what message are you sending your team? Injuries happen it is what it is, i would understand if your saying leaving your players there if the niners are winning, but thats not the case so you leave them and play. If he also pulls his players, there will be fans that wont be happy and this thread will probably say something like " Harbaugh quit" .
Yeah and I wish when we have a lead we would play like the seacocks did against us. Seems like we play soft when we have a lead (might as well bring in our backups)

This.

When we scored that lone TD at the end, you could see the guys celebrating despite knowing they were not going to win. That tells me this is a very resilient team, unlike some of the fans. It's good that these duds happen during the regular season. I'm certain once playoff time comes, the intensity will be raised to 11 again, like last season. You have to remember that coming off all the losing seasons, prior to '11, it was very easy for that '11 team to get hyped up for regular season games. Now though, the team knows they are a playoff team, and maybe it's best to save some of that intensity for when it really matters. Why burn yourself out trying to go 16-0 during the regular season?

Stupid losses have happened to every team in the playoffs this year. Arizona beating NE being the glaring example. Sometimes it's not about why you lost, because losing some games is expected, but it's how you bounce back that matters. It may sound cliche, but the teams that can learn from their mistakes, and CORRECTLY adjust their game plan are the ones who win in the end.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
yup the the team is a true reflection of the head coach and the 49ers conduct themselves very professionally. even through a QB change.

The QB switch was handled professionally because of Smith's personality. With other QBs, it'd have likely been ugly.

even tebow has pouted about not starting--smith is a class act and it should help him find a new team
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Needs to fire roman

Needs to fire Fangio more. Hey guys, don't bother covering RB's out of the backfield.

this is just one bad game by the defense, Roman has had bone headed play calling all season (maybe it was masked a little early by smith calling checking out of the original play, but with kap making less changes at the line its more evident)
The fangio thing was on carlos actually, hey look im not covering anyone, look bowman that tightend doesn't need to be covered the running back is now wide open... Again this wasn't a fangio issue he's calling fine plays, let's see you draw up a coverage for 10 seconds why your dline looks like fools chasing russel. I have to agree with Roman point too, I think with smith you would check out of plays knowning roman is crazy. One thing about alex is he's smart and he understands this offense and will check us into the right play, if only he had a cannon like payton manning too we be all set and he still be the starter. Colin is young he's still got alot of little things to learn, getting the snap and reading the defense, and when you fake playaction make sure you actually fake it to the side the running back is on, once he figures out how to be a qb than he's going to be scary. Steve young took awhile not to look like a running idiot. Got to learn how to be a passer first if you ever want the freedom to run, and that's what russel does he's throwing bombs and that opens it up for him to run around like a chicken.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
And how do the back-ups get any experience if you always play the starters till the final gun? Even when we are blowing people out some guys never see the field, big mistake if you ask me. He is risking the starters health and not developing the back-ups.
Originally posted by rudedog:
There seems to be a problem getting the plays into Kaep on time or he is trying to change to much at the line. I think some of the problem with the defense was they had to play 93 snaps last week and they were a little tired. There has also been times when Fangio seems like he doesn't have an answer to adjust to the other teams offense. When you ad that to the fact they never give anybody a break on the defense the whole game, you can sometimes see the defense get a little slow in the fourth quarter.

I thought it was strange that Willis still played near the end of the blowout. He should have been taken out at the end of the third quarter. There was no point having Willis in there anymore.

All this talk about us being outcoached... Do you remember Nolan/Singletary? Last I checked we don't have a Manning or Brady and this staff has won 23 games with only 7 losses. Harbaugh is rolling up his sleeves and working as hard as he possibly can as well as the rest of the coaching staff. I for one appreciate their efforts.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
One area in which Harbaugh's ego certainly hurts the team, IMO, is his sideline behavior with the officials. His constant baiting and complaining does not help his team. Officials will do one of two things in that situation: tune him out completely, or wait for a chance to put him in his place. All a coach can ask of the officials is the benefit of the doubt in a close call. Recent calls on the field force me to question if Harbaugh is getting any consideration at all.

I have both coached a lot of games and reffed a lot of games, and though they were not at anything like this level, I can tell anyone who wants to listen, that officials are a pretty close bunch. They know which coaches are loud mouths and which ones are very measured in their comments. In the first case, the refs tune them out. In the second case, the refs know and respect the coach so when he questions a decision, they are much more willing to listen...just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

As a coach, players get distracted by constant yelling by the coach. They don't say anything publicly but they know the game well enough to know when the coach is just running his mouth and when he shouldn't. In a close competitive game, the coach MUST be the one calm voice in a storm of emotion. Harbaugh's record in challenges in one of the worst in the league. I can't help but think that if he were more composed on the sidelines he would not have wasted as many challenges and timeouts as he has.

For a guy that says he idolized Bill Walsh, to have such a lack of composure and appropriate demeanor on the sidelines makes me question if he really listened to everything Bill told him about coaching. Seems like he needs to get his ego under control and coach the game in a more considered way.

Bad referees with huge egos who don't really care about their jobs will do that. Most of those refs don't make it past low level college games. I know a referee who coaches in D-League basketball league and they pride themselves in getting the calls right. What embarrasses them most is making a terrible call, not a coach yelling at them.

I can name you coaches who berate the refs on the sidelines and are still respected and have won Superbowls and rings in other sports. Professional refs understand getting yelled at is occupational hazard. They are trained for it. There are always exceptions, but that's what they are - exceptions and sooner or later they get kicked out.
Originally posted by BobS:
And how do the back-ups get any experience if you always play the starters till the final gun? Even when we are blowing people out some guys never see the field, big mistake if you ask me. He is risking the starters health and not developing the back-ups.

And if the backups get injured, then you have no depth. Besides Alex Smith has more than enough "development".
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, if it's a blowout you've got to give the starters a rest and bring in the backups. If nothing else than for morale, so everyone feels that their part of the teams success.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM ]
I'm just happy to be in the playoffs again. It wasn't too long ago when we couldn't even sniff the playoffs so instead of crying like a little girl because Seattle killed us I will just wait and hope we win the Superbowl. Its funny, that NY Giants loss in the NFC Championship game has made it a lot easier to deal with a regular season loss.
Share 49ersWebzone