LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by astro_niner:

What did Bevell do before Wilson? Even with Wilson, he is not considered in the same breath as Gase or McDaniels. The difference is Wilson. Seahawks picked the right QB, 49ers (Harbaugh, in particular) picked the wrong QB. Then, Harbaugh with all his ego and stubbornness stuck with him. Harbaugh is not going to loose a dime after being fired, but we lost 1-2 rings.

If only it were that simple - pick the right QB, win a ring! I guess it's just part of human nature to need to simplify complicated and/or chaotic situations.

Here's a thought experiment for all fans who tend to think this way:

If only Walsh had chosen the right QB, the Niners would have won 1-2 rings between '85 and '87. I mean they got to the playoffs each year, the team was stacked, but they were one and done each of those years, and at least a couple of those losses could be laid right at the feet of the QB at the time. All the Niners needed those three years was a different QB, right? Joe Montana just couldn't get it done!

Agreed. Bevell did the same thing we did...put the whole offense in CK's hands and Wilson was terrible. Fans were calling for his head. The difference was he reverted ban to what worked. Dominant run game, short primary read passes and passes off PA. And lots of scramble drill practice. They PRACTICE this and want to be the best at it. Moving the QB around, moving OL, etc. Just manage the game plan that is QB friendly. Simple.

Us? Low % passing game all year long. Genius!

This!

You hit the nail on the head. I think the media has influenced a lot of peoples view of Wilson. Don't get me wrong, he has played great within their R/O scheme, but a lot of it has to do with the amount of respect teams give lynch and Wilson's legs, not his arm.

There is one difference ive noticed between the pistol and the Hawks read option. That is, when the 9ers ran the pistol,often times both qb and rb would run to the same side, causing the whole defense to flow to the ball, making the LB reads that much easier.

Just one example: http://i.minus.com/i2icPBysj2Yi.gifWhen (look at the play design, the lb don't even have to think )

When I see the Hawks run R/O, they run Lynch up the middle or right side of O-line, while Wilson runs to the left side, making the lb commit, or guess, to the either one. This creates a lot of one-on-one match ups and creates indecisiveness on the defense. Exactly, what the read option should do, confuse defenses. Then, when the hawks have the defense head spinning, they throw high percentage pass.

Scheme and design has a big part in a plays success.

Yes they are. But, what scheme or design would you employ to make Kap a successful QB? Does he have the throwing talent that Wilson does?

This will be my last post on this thread. Like NCommand said, I should take this discussion elsewhere.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by crake49:
What did Bevell do before Wilson? Even with Wilson, he is not considered in the same breath as Gase or McDaniels. The difference is Wilson. Seahawks picked the right QB, 49ers (Harbaugh, in particular) picked the wrong QB. Then, Harbaugh with all his ego and stubbornness stuck with him. Harbaugh is not going to loose a dime after being fired, but we lost 1-2 rings.

If only it were that simple - pick the right QB, win a ring! I guess it's just part of human nature to need to simplify complicated and/or chaotic situations.

Here's a thought experiment for all fans who tend to think this way:

If only Walsh had chosen the right QB, the Niners would have won 1-2 rings between '85 and '87. I mean they got to the playoffs each year, the team was stacked, but they were one and done each of those years, and at least a couple of those losses could be laid right at the feet of the QB at the time. All the Niners needed those three years was a different QB, right? Joe Montana just couldn't get it done!

Agreed. Bevell did the same thing we did...put the whole offense in CK's hands and Wilson was terrible. Fans were calling for his head. The difference was he reverted ban to what worked. Dominant run game, short primary read passes and passes off PA. And lots of scramble drill practice. They PRACTICE this and want to be the best at it. Moving the QB around, moving OL, etc. Just manage the game plan that is QB friendly. Simple.

Us? Low % passing game all year long. Genius!

This!

You hit the nail on the head. I think the media has influenced a lot of peoples view of Wilson. Don't get me wrong, he has played great within their R/O scheme, but a lot of it has to do with the amount of respect teams give lynch and Wilson's legs, not his arm.

There is one difference ive noticed between the pistol and the Hawks read option. That is, when the 9ers ran the pistol,often times both qb and rb would run to the same side, causing the whole defense to flow to the ball, making the LB reads that much easier.

Just one example: http://i.minus.com/i2icPBysj2Yi.gifWhen (look at the play design, the lb don't even have to think )

When I see the Hawks run R/O, they run Lynch up the middle or right side of O-line, while Wilson runs to the left side, making the lb commit, or guess, to the either one. This creates a lot of one-on-one match ups and creates indecisiveness on the defense. Exactly, what the read option should do, confuse defenses. Then, when the hawks have the defense head spinning, they throw high percentage pass.

Scheme and design has a big part in a plays success.

Yes they are. But, what scheme or design would you employ to make Kap a successful QB? Does he have the throwing talent that Wilson does?

This will be my last post on this thread. Like NCommand said, I should take this discussion elsewhere.

Lol you do know, that Wilson misses open throws often, right? Which is wierd for being a great accurate passer as you proclaim. He is not asked to go through progressions, more often than not his passing plays are design to get the ball out quick, as NC has alluded to. So, like I said , the media has done a great job of propping him up, because posters like you can't seem to see it.

But, to answer your question, it would be nice to see some RO once in a while like the one Wilson runs. I think Hyde would be great in it, as we've seen in his college days. We also know Kap in open space can make people miss. Also, have some design PA off of it, to get Kap in rythym. Instead of doing 5-7 step drops with some slow ass Wrs lol
You can buy a Michigan Harbaugh shirt online already.

can't wait to root for Michigan against Ohio State
  • buck
  • Veteran
Michigan already selling Jim Harbaugh gear

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/michigan-already-selling-jim-harbaugh-gear

Wonder if this means anything?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Joe Pequeno ‏@JoePequenoCBS5

Source says Michigan Officials are in San Francisco. Sunday vs. AZ could be Jim Harbaugh's last game as 49ers Coach. #JimHarbaugh

Source says, 49ers and Michigan have worked out a deal. Nothing signed, but UM Officials feel confident Jim Harbaugh will be new coach.

Source says, Harbaugh will tell SF team after Sunday's game and be introduced Tuesday. Once again, nothing signed, but UM confident.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB

#Michigan brass & search firm will be up in the Bay Area this weekend as part of the Jim Harbaugh pursuit, per source.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB

#Michigan brass & search firm will be up in the Bay Area this weekend as part of the Jim Harbaugh pursuit, per source.

Sounds like a win-win. Harbaugh wants out, going back to college where his offensive system CAN be successful, where he'll get paid and we can move on to a competent OC (system) and good managing HC that the FO and local/national media doesn't hate.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Source says Michigan Officials are in San Francisco. Sunday vs. AZ could be Jim Harbaugh's last game as 49ers Coach. #JimHarbaugh

Source says, 49ers and Michigan have worked out a deal. Nothing signed, but UM Officials feel confident Jim Harbaugh will be new coach.

Source says, Harbaugh will tell SF team after Sunday's game and be introduced Tuesday. Once again, nothing signed, but UM confident.

Rumors and all started by Baalke to get Oakland to give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 3/4 next year.

Baalke used all the frequent flyer miles accumulated by the team to bring out the Michigan folks to make the rumors look solid.

just kidding.

So if/when Michigan gets Harbaugh, what compensation do the 49ers get????

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

why would 49ers and Michigan need to workout a deal ?
Originally posted by buck:
Michigan already selling Jim Harbaugh gear

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/michigan-already-selling-jim-harbaugh-gear

Wonder if this means anything?

Well it's a Michigan shirt with Harbaugh's Michigan number inside the text saying, "It's Happening"? Anyone's guess as to what they are actually referring to. Zombie Apocalypse? Is the Zombie Apocalypse happening?
Originally posted by buck:
Rumors and all started by Baalke to get Oakland to give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 3/4 next year.

Baalke used all the frequent flyer miles accumulated by the team to bring out the Michigan folks to make the rumors look solid.

just kidding.

That Baalke is pretty damn slick. We've seen the way he pawns GM's so this wouldn't be that far off from a possible reality. LOL
Ok I have a question, How can Harbaugh take the Michigan job if he's still under contract for one more year with 49ers? How does it work???
Sounds like a win-win. Harbaugh wants out, going back to college where his offensive system CAN be successful, where he'll get paid and we can move on to a competent OC (system) and good managing HC that the FO and local/national media doesn't hate.

Media relations are a big deal. Help them do their job and everyone can get along like fonsies. 32 coaches in the league and they all do it differently. It's ok for coaches to say negative things and JH all but refused to be negative. Tomlin is a good example, they don't hate him or feed off his every word.
Share 49ersWebzone