LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't understand why fans want Jim out at all. Dude's system took us to a SB and 2 NFCC in 3 years. The year we don't make the playoffs is a year with some crazy injuries and bad pub AND we still had a chance to make the playoffs.

Why would you NOT want a winner? Ain't no other coach going to keep his players playing as hard as ours were through a season like this year.

He wont get rid of Roman. We need someone better at OC.
i fail to understand why people do not understand what 22 just said. unless if you are obama, we all hold ourselves accountable for things, we hold players accountable. why is it so wrong to hold the coaches accountable for our shortcomings not only this year but for the last three years.

Do folks realize this was essentially Kap's first year at trying to be a pure pocket passer? On top of that, he has shown a lot of things he needs to get better at. And don't tell me this passing game sucked even when Alex was here. Alex is a QB that's safe by nature and will not try to blow the top off the scoreboard.

The good stuff is that Kap showed he was willing to work at staying in the pocket. I think Roman is fine as long as they tweak a few things. They already did it this year by trying to pass heavy and go 3- to 5-wide. The problem was that Kap wasn't completely ready for it and our OL was killing us.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Who was responsible for hiring Singletary anyways?

knee jerk reaction because we were starved for success . they did much better with the next hire and if jh goes, i am sure they will have a good process in place to hire a good coach. i am not among those who feel if jh leaves, our franchise will vanish over night

If they only would have waited a week or two in late 2008, Holmgren, shanahan and gruden would have all been available for the 2009 season (I think our stature at that time might have made it a tough sell to any of those guys, though)
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM ]
knee jerk reaction because we were starved for success . they did much better with the next hire and if jh goes, i am sure they will have a good process in place to hire a good coach. i am not among those who feel if jh leaves, our franchise will vanish over night

This. Singletary had gotten some head coaching interviews, he was looked at as a potential NFL head coach across the league and the 49ers didn't want to risk losing out on him........which is exactly why I hope they don't rush the decision to come up with Harbaugh's replacement and don't feel pressured to hire a guy like Tomsula just on the basis of other teams possibly being interested in him. I hope they do a thorough search and interview as many qualified outside candidates as it takes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Do folks realize this was essentially Kap's first year at trying to be a pure pocket passer? On top of that, he has shown a lot of things he needs to get better at. And don't tell me this passing game sucked even when Alex was here. Alex is a QB that's safe by nature and will not try to blow the top off the scoreboard.

The good stuff is that Kap showed he was willing to work at staying in the pocket. I think Roman is fine as long as they tweak a few things. They already did it this year by trying to pass heavy and go 3- to 5-wide. The problem was that Kap wasn't completely ready for it and our OL was killing us.
i think roman is fine as long he tweaks some things.... my f**king god... we have said that time and time again and what has changed? what has been tweaked? have they worked? have they been interesting? no joe,, BECAUSE WE CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE IN THE SAME GOD DAMN AREAS TODAY AS WE DID LAST YEAR AND THE YEAR BEFORE!! i do not know whether to laugh or cry at those who continue to cling to the belief that
roman will get it
roman will be ok
roman just needs to get his head out of his ass
roman just needs to 'TWEAK'" some things

'TWEAKING a few things.. my god joe,, defend roman, drink his bathwater,, but for gods sake do no bury your head in the sand.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think roman is fine as long he tweaks some things.... my f**king god... we have said that time and time again and what has changed? what has been tweaked? have they worked? have they been interesting? no joe,, BECAUSE WE CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE IN THE SAME GOD DAMN AREAS TODAY AS WE DID LAST YEAR AND THE YEAR BEFORE!! i do not know whether to laugh or cry at those who continue to cling to the belief that
roman will get it
roman will be ok

'TWEAKING a few things.. my god joe,, defend roman, drink his bathwater,, but for gods sake do no bury your head in the sand.
oh and to piggy back onto what a now insane cc said,,,,,,,,, why go five wide out annexation of puerto rico b******t when you had a good run game? have you noticed your tweaker boy has a habit of running from the run when it works?
roman will get it
roman will be ok

oh and to piggy back onto what a now insane cc said,,,,,,,,, why go five wide out annexation of puerto rico b******t when you had a good run game? have you noticed your tweaker boy has a habit of running from the run when it works?

Because I think it has more to do with the QB and OL not executing than it does the play calling. We have seen the plays produce open options time and time again. With Alex, it was he wouldn't hit the big play. Our OL always had issues pass blocking since after Turner left. With Kap...well...Kap is barely seeing the field correctly and to add, our OL has been decimated.

Yes, we should have ran the ball more, but what good is that if we are trying to develop Kap into a premier pocket passer?

Unless forced out, I'm just saying, no head coach EVER leaves a QB that he thinks can be great.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i can just see the presser

yes we will retain jh and roman,, we are going to tweak a few things and all will be better, no questions will be taken, good bye... my god, they have not solved the f**king clock issues in the last three years,, what possibly makes you think by "tweaking" things will be better...... tweaking also has nothing to do with the lack of energy, urgency and passion we have seen from the players and coaches in the last several ball games,,, exactly how in the f**k do you tweak urgency?? but thats ok,, we will drown this year but with our new tweaking philosophy we will install in the off season,, we will rise to the top again,, i think i will go out and slide down a razor blade,,, it would not be any more painful than what i am experiencing right now
Originally posted by jreff22:
I don't understand why fans want Jim out at all. Dude's system took us to a SB and 2 NFCC in 3 years. The year we don't make the playoffs is a year with some crazy injuries and bad pub AND we still had a chance to make the playoffs.

Why would you NOT want a winner? Ain't no other coach going to keep his players playing as hard as ours were through a season like this year.

He wont get rid of Roman. We need someone better at OC.
i fail to understand why people do not understand what 22 just said. unless if you are obama, we all hold ourselves accountable for things, we hold players accountable. why is it so wrong to hold the coaches accountable for our shortcomings not only this year but for the last three years.

Really....Kaps first year trying to be a pocket passer? The "kid" has been in the NFL since 2011. He is like 27/28 years old. You make it sound like we threw a rookie to the wolves. At some point people need to stop looking at him as a project and look at him as what he likely is and will always be. A spectacular athlete with a rocket arm, who cant seem to make it work as a pocket passer in the NFL. This Athletic specimen QB story has played out numerous times in the history of the NFL. It really shouldn't surprise many people. Not only that, but from what i read, it doesn't even sound like Harbaugh and Kap work to correct his Mechanics. Eventually Kap is going to be out of time.

Fact is, this offense is Dysfunctional. It really has been in a lot of ways since Jim got here. If harbaugh refuses to fix it, then someone else must be brought in to do so.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
And vice versa. How many coach candidates will look at the niners HC vacancy with reservations when it ran out a guy with a great resume.

Very true, I was listening to mad dog and espn radio last night and they were lighting up the 49ers FO. Some hosts were fans of other teams like the Jets and they would love to have Harbaugh as their coach and can't believe he will be available. Other announcers called Jed a "complete amateur who only got the team because it was handed to him on a silver platter" and he has no idea what he's doing. Everyone agreed that Harbaugh is completely in the driver's seat by releasing the details of the alleged Michigan offer as leverage to any and all bidders with the biggest loser being the 49ers. What a terrible end to this crappy year. While I like the depth of our roster, I have concerns over vets leaving/retiring and who will replace Harbaugh.

It's easy for critics/fans on the outside looking in to chime in on a situation they don't follow closely enough to speak on. Their opinions won't parallel with any respectable HC candidate applying to what should be the hottest HC vacancy available.

Fact is, Harbs is the architect of a failure offense that struggles to put up 16 PPG and consistently bottoms out in the latter third of the league in the following: redzone efficiency, penalties, clock management, passing offense. If the fans are demanding to see better than the dumpster fire we've seen every Sunday, damn right the FO can and will demand the same.

If the bane of the issues are what I suspect they are and history heavily suggests: JH's unwavering loyalty to his underperforming OC and their archaic college level offensive philosophy/system, chances are he'd eventually be in the position that he's in. It's a consequence that many coaches that are unwilling to change, adjust, and cut ties with failing, detrimental assistants have faced in the past.
. I think Roman is fine as long as they tweak a few things.

Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Who was responsible for hiring Singletary anyways?

Scot McCloughan. I remember the video when it was announced in the locker room the whole team erupted in cheer. He was liked amongst the players especially Willis. We started out the next season 2-0 after ripping Seattle a new one at home in week 2. Everyone thought we were going to win the NFC West. Then the rest of the season was up and down.

And that's what I feel that can happen if we let Harbaugh get away and bring in Tomsula. It's great early on, with a coach that everyone likes and brings energy blah blah blah...Then when things get rough can he or his staff evolve if the offense stutters down the stretch. Can he out game plan the opponent ? I say no. This isn't NFL Europe.
Originally posted by judodono:
I'm not buying that argument. I think people that do too easily forget the pit we were in with the exact same roster under Singletary.

Singletary was the worse HC in modern NFL history. Try again.
I think someone needs to go to their happy place.

Why? Because refuses to shake up caching staff.or make roster moves ..Seattle caught up to us last year and passed us. Cardinals passed us this year. Rams
caught up to us this year and will pass us next year..The other three teams are going up while we are going down. Losing 4 out 5 divsion games this year, You wonder if we will get swept in the division next year. Balke is also responsible for this mess.

roman will get it
roman will be ok

roman will get it
roman will be ok

I'm not a big Roman fan, but in his defense, folks like Cossell have pointed out in film review that Romans play calls are very well designed and dialed up, Kaep just wasn't seeing certain things...that said there does need to be a change
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone