LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 386 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by buck:
I do not know if Harbaugh wants to continue coaching the 49ers.

His contract is good for the rest of this year and next year.

If he does want to continue coaching the 49ers, I am not sure that he should be given an extension.

There too many unknowns, way too many, for me to pretend that I have the answers.

Really, Buck? You're not sure he should be retained if he wants to stay?

Let's see. Over the time he has been an NFL coach, he has led the league in winning percentage and right now he's sitting there in the company of Madden, Lombardi and Allen, all of whom are Hall of Fame coaches. And people can talk all they want about him inheriting a good team, but I don't buy it. Basically the same team was 6-10 the year before he showed up. So again, I have to say...

Really, Buck?

Yeah. I thought I was clear.

But, I will say it again. If Harbaugh wants to continue coaching the 49ers, I am not sure that he should be given an extension.

Is there deadline or can I remain unsure for a while, say until the end of the season?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Much of what you said I agree with and generally I don't care for GMs/owners meddling in decisions that should be left to the coaching staff. But you may have to get real yourself. There are many flaws this team has had over these 3 + seasons, however most people will probably agree on what the biggest flaw is. On the offensive side of the ball, Harbaugh has demonstrated that he is willing to change. Everything from removing Chilo Rachal from the starting lineup to be replaced by Adam Snyder, then removing Snyder to be replaced by Boone so that 5 best O-lineman are on the field, replacing Alex Smith, Kyle Williams, getting rid of Braylon Edwards and Brandon Jacobs, etc shows that he will make changes if necessary.

I think after Super Bowl 47, it would've been knee jerk to get rid of Roman then. After last season, there was a reasonable excuse- our receiving core was trash. But this season, beyond the shadow of a doubt, Greg Roman has shown us he cannot grow as a coordinator or the players in this system. If Harbaugh chooses to retain him, I just don't know what to make of that. There really is no excuse. We'll see what happens at season's end.

I'm not meaning to get into a discussion on how culpable Roman is with respect to the Niners woeful offense. By "get real" I just mean that it's highly unlikely that Harbaugh would countenance anyone dictating to him who are going to be on his coaching staff. IMO that will never happen.

The best hope of ridding the team of Roman if you think that his support is misplaced, while keeping Harbaugh firmly on board, would involve what Crake49 suggests, i.e., Roman gets hired away. That is if Harbaugh himself doesn't bite down and do it himself. Ultimately, the choice, if he has one, will be his.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Hey, we're agreeing! Dangerously so.

You're more likely correct about the strength of the West in Harbaugh's first year. My going overboard in trying to make a point.

The year before though the Hawks won the division with an under .500 record. Did not color the division in glory.

Hey, Niner fans CAN agree. It's certainly accurate to say the division wasn't what it has been the last couple years in 2011, but I think that's the first year it started to actually get to where it is now. Both the Cards and the Hawks defenses started to get real serious that year and as we know, the Niners defense had actually been good for a couple years before that. That was the year the Seahawks started playing defense with Chancellor, Sherman and Thomas in the secondary and I think it was the year they brought Marshawn in, so they were on the rise.
I confess to being really surprised that there as many people as there are who have doubts about retaining him.

The other thing that's surprising is the implication that there is some kind of fracture in the relationship between Harbaugh and Jed York. In spite of what I take to be sincere denials by both parties. Because Kawakami says so? Consider the source.

To those advocating a change: Who are you looking to replace him with? Because you better have someone in mind. I'd like to hear.
harbaugh leaves and we go back to the questions and insecurities we had throughout the erickson, nolan, singletary days. f**k that. but if we have to get rid of harbaugh to get roman out of here it might come to that. im sure the owners and GM are a little irritated that these guys cant squeeze out more than 20 points a game with an offense as talented as ours. we have four excellent receivers in boldin, crabs, stevie and lloyd, a monster tight end in VD that isnt being used at all, two great RBs, a solid line (a little beat up at the moment but still solid when healthy) and a young stud at QB. they need to have more production and they have to be more smooth than they have looked this year. they look out of it, while fangio has a patchwork defense playing lights out every week. roman needs to go
I confess to being really surprised that there as many people as there are who have doubts about retaining him.

The other thing that's surprising is the implication that there is some kind of fracture in the relationship between Harbaugh and Jed York. In spite of what I take to be sincere denials by both parties. Because Kawakami says so? Consider the source.

To those advocating a change: Who are you looking to replace him with? Because you better have someone in mind. I'd like to hear.

As you probably know, I completely agree with you on this and I think all the talk is just rumors, innuendo and mind-reading by media hacks looking to troll for clicks. What some people don't seem to get about the media is it has a built in feedback loop and feeds on itself. People get the impression that there are multiple sources on something, but if you drill down just a bit, you often find that it's just one or two sources which have been re-sourced, re-printed and quoted by others giving the impression that a given story is much more widely ranging than it actually is.

But beyond all that, I still say that the only coach who wouldn't fill me with dread would be a Mike Holmgren coming back to his home town to restart his Head Coaching career. If I couldn't have Harbaugh, that's who I would want - he's got heavy ties to the area, he's one of the best OC's the team every had with a cohesive offensive vision and he's proven to be an extremely effective Head Coach already with two different teams.

As you probably know, I completely agree with you on this and I think all the talk is just rumors, innuendo and mind-reading by media hacks looking to troll for clicks. What some people don't seem to get about the media is it has a built in feedback loop and feeds on itself. People get the impression that there are multiple sources on something, but if you drill down just a bit, you often find that it's just one or two sources which have been re-sourced, re-printed and quoted by others giving the impression that a given story is much more widely ranging than it actually is.

But beyond all that, I still say that the only coach who wouldn't fill me with dread would be a Mike Holmgren coming back to his home town to restart his Head Coaching career. If I couldn't have Harbaugh, that's who I would want - he's got heavy ties to the area, he's one of the best OC's the team every had with a cohesive offensive vision and he's proven to be an extremely effective Head Coach already with two different teams.
holmgren is too old I think man. and if he wanted to coach he would be coaching already. it would be cool but id rather have a new coach with fresh ideas if we absolutely have to get rid of harbaugh. i just wish the ownership would put some pressure on him to can roman, harbaugh isnt the issue. roman having a playbook with 10 plays in it, is
  • dj43
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
belichick is so overrated

honestly the only current HC i'd take over harbaugh is his brother and maybe andy reid

I agree about belichick...was just throwing his name out there. IMO there really is only a handful of difference making HC, And we have one. IMO, the franchise shifters are

-harbaugh bros
-sean Payton
-andy Reid
-belichick (results are his results tho)

And I like McCarthy a lot. I think chip kelly can be, but it's still way early to put him in the above class. As far as a gameday coach, I've got a very high opinion of Jeff Fisher.
Tom Coughlin is a great coach but too old to be considered here. Still, he is in that same list above.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

holmgren is too old I think man. and if he wanted to coach he would be coaching already. it would be cool but id rather have a new coach with fresh ideas if we absolutely have to get rid of harbaugh. i just wish the ownership would put some pressure on him to can roman, harbaugh isnt the issue. roman having a playbook with 10 plays in it, is

The Walrus, eh. I hope Harbaugh doesn't leave and it comes to identifying a replacement.

But Holmgren an intriguing thought. Not one that I would have endorsed. But the HC has to be a good administrator. And Holmgren does have some experience with that. I have doubts about his ability to identify talent. I thought that his move up to draft Weeden was a head scratcher. But as head coach that won't be his prime responsibility.

He has been away from coaching for a while now. How will that impact? He did bring Brett Favre around. How do old retreads do upon returning to the game after some period off? Shanahan, Schottenhiemer. Gibbs. Parcells. Anyone else? Question has to be asked. Well Pete Caroll was an NFL retread, but he was the USC HC in the interim, so he wasn't out of coaching per se.
We need someone to improve our offence.

We are marginal there.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

At 66, he's two years younger than Tom Coughlin and there have been rumors that he's still got the bug and wants to Coach a team again. He's a disciple of Bill Walsh and I think he still has a creative offensive vision.

But the bottom line is that I don't want the team to lose Harbaugh.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
belichick is so overrated

honestly the only current HC i'd take over harbaugh is his brother and maybe andy reid

I agree about belichick...was just throwing his name out there. IMO there really is only a handful of difference making HC, And we have one. IMO, the franchise shifters are

-harbaugh bros
-sean Payton
-andy Reid
-belichick (results are his results tho)

And I like McCarthy a lot. I think chip kelly can be, but it's still way early to put him in the above class. As far as a gameday coach, I've got a very high opinion of Jeff Fisher.
Tom Coughlin is a great coach but too old to be considered here. Still, he is in that same list above.

Wouldn't want any of these guys except for Reid. Is it likely they would go after a retread or a college guy?

Edit: Holmgren would be OK as well but he might not like working for Baalke having been a GM himself.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

You know, I always forget about coughlin. He is a helleva coach, with the titles he won in NY I think people forget how quickly he built that expansion Jax team. Hell made the conference title game in year 2 and was a 14-2 team by year 5. Just couldn't beat Tennessee in '99. Was 15-0 against the NFL and was 0-3 vs Titans.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM ]
At 66, he's two years younger than Tom Coughlin and there have been rumors that he's still got the bug and wants to Coach a team again. He's a disciple of Bill Walsh and I think he still has a creative offensive vision.

But the bottom line is that I don't want the team to lose Harbaugh.

I also don't think Harbs is going anywhere.

However, if it happened give me either:

Holmgren with Marty morrnhieg as OC

Or

Mike shanahan.

I know some call these nostalgic picks but I have no doubt either of these guys could be successful. Shanahan got stuck with b***h primadonna "franchise" qb in RG3. Funny how much he has regressed without Mike. I ain't gonna lie tho these guys are my favorite NFL coaches not named Bill Walsh. In my perfect Niner universe holmgren would have taken over in 1989 or shanahan would have taken over in 1995. Regardless if it ever happens I just happy I got to see these guys coordinate our offense when they did.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 26, 2014 at 5:25 PM ]
Today I think we actually look terribly badly coached.
Share 49ersWebzone