There are 208 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
there's only 1 answer
i hope jed calls him into his office and says you can see what the problem is fire roman. if you don't want to do it ill fire him for you. either way roman has to be out of a job.

he has to be.

his offense has not been great at any point and it's all his fault it is 100% his fault along with jim for allowing him to screw him out of a super bowl and countless regular season and playoff wins.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Jim needs to make a blood sacrifice of Roman for the trophy.

Just not going to happen! Guarantee Roman will be Harbaugh's OC in their next gig.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I agree that there was at least a compromise on this "caving in".

I'm going to speculate, surmise, project, and assume some more things.

Harbaugh saying "he knows what he's worth" re Kaepernick was putting pressure on Baalke to sign his hand chosen quarterback to a long term deal. (Has anybody ever heard a coach publicly say anything like this to the FO in the league, Ever?) This comes after he said "pay the man" to other players that are now gone. I'm not so sure Baalke wanted to do that long term Kaepernick deal until he developed further, but when he found out that Kaepernick would be willing to sign an unprecedented deal with essentially no guaranteed money beyond the first year, and in practice a series of only one year deals after that, he went ahead. The fact that this is what it took for Baalke to do the long term deal to me is telling. He's got the flexibility to trade him for substantial draft picks now if there is a next coach and that coach wants to go with someone else, so it's a can't lose situation. He's also got the leverage to re negotiate his pay if he's not living up to it, because he can end it with no adverse consequences to the team.

Baalke has a policy of not negotiating with players that aren't in camp. Harbaugh wanted Boone back, and didn't care about Baalke's policies and MO. Baalke knew if he did renegotiate, it would affect future negotiations, and wouldn't budge. Harbaugh wouldn't have it and used the only tool left in his bag. He went all in with threats to make it happen.

If reports are true that Harbaugh won't be back "even if he wins a SB", this is what it would have taken. Harbaugh said he can't do the job if he can't have his players, and nothing short of threatening to quit would overcome Baalke's resistance. So he went there. (I can't hear that chorus of "Harbaugh would never do that". Louder please). Baalke caved with the most defensible contract he could muster for Boone, but first went to Jed to affirm he gets to run the team as he sees fit, which now means without Harbaugh throwing a monkey wrench into the gears. Terms of Harbaugh's departure after the season are worked out (bringing in Glazer's "league source" and statement JH won't be back even if he wins a SB), and the team goes into full PR mode with "both parties have agreed that talks on Harbaugh's contract are now suspended until after the season", "Harbaugh's my coach", "we've got a good working relationship", etc.

I even wonder if the player dissention talk and that "two locker rooms" story isn't even somehow related. The "veterans" are in the facility near Harbaugh's office, and the rest are in the stadium locker room all on their own. Also, the veterans are in First Class, and the rest are in the back of the bus. Could this split be between Harbaugh players and players that side more with Trent? Harbaugh has been criticized for not playing the younger guys. These guys all owe Trent for drafting them, and think Harbaugh hasn't given them an adequate chance to show their stuff. Trent is also frustrated that the guys he put so much time in to scout and aquire aren't playing. So now a couple players have muttered some anti Harbaugh words that get obliquely picked up in the media. The "veterans" are the guys Harbaugh does play, and they do get to sit in First Class, and they are certainly loyal to him.

Speculate on.

Well, since we're this far out on a limb, we might as well write the final chapter.

When we last left our hero Jim, he had just signed the document that would sever his ties with the iconic San Francisco Fourty Niners. He'd had a successful run with the team, but philosophical differences with that idiot team GM had caused the seperation. Now the season was over, and he was out of a job. It was a lonely, stressful time.

As he walked the streets alone, he contemplated his future. He knew he wanted to coach again, but where? When? Then he saw an NFL team building, and knocked on the door.

He was allowed in, and they began to talk. This team already had a coach under contract, but as Jim had shown the world four years earlier in the far off land of Florals, he was much too important to follow that quaint, antiquated ethical standard that all his peers followed that a job should actually be vacant before you interviewed for it. Jim thought he'd be good for the job, but the team officials said "Jim, we have a GM that handles all our personnel decisions. You are a headstrong guy that has shown in your previous job that you don't like sharing power. As much as we respect you and your record, we don't think you are a good fit for our organization. Perhaps you'd be more suited for a team without a GM."

So, back out pounding the pavement, Jim walked and walked, thinking over his conversation with that team. Then, he saw another NFL team building. He knew the team, and knew that they didn't have a GM with authority over the Head Coach. Now, this is for me, he thought. So he knocked on the door. They were happy to talk to him, as they too appreciated his record. As he explained how what he really wanted was full control over the team, they began to hedge. They said his history of publicily taking the side of the players over the team was troublesome to them, as, well, they were the team. They even said that if you pay your favorites more than market value, then in this cap era, you are not going to have enough money left for the rest of the guys you want on your team. "We don't think you are a good fit for our organization. We are looking for a more even tempered leader like a Walsh or Belichick. Perhaps one of the teams with a GM would suit you better."

Wow. That's kind of depressing. Now our hero is back pounding the pavement, without knowing what to do. He felt rejected, and flat out of ideas. Then he saw a brightly lit sign. It was familiar. It was warm. It was a blast from his past. It brought him back to his youth. "M I C H I G A N" it said. Wow. MICHIGAN. Knock Knock Knock. They were delighted to see him. He couldn't ever remember so many smiles, all directed at Him. Total control? No problem. They didn't even Have a salary cap you needed to worry about. You get to hand out the scholarships. You get to build your team. In this league, if you want to build a team to out power your opponents, it is far easier to do than that league you came from. Passing? Strictly optional, if you are powerful enough. This is IT. This was for Jim.

Jim ran home, faster and faster, and told his wife the bad news was that she couldn't stay in the Bay Area anymore, but the Good News was that they were going HOME to MICHIGAN! Home Again. Home at Last. They popped the cork on an expensive bottle of Champagne and toasted their dream future.

"Or", as Edward Gibbon of "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" was fond of saying, he went to the Raiders in the Land of Oaks, and the Chaos continued.

Harbaugh is already gone, and it shows with the sloppy play on the field. Furthermore, if he lays a couple more eggs like this, Interim Head Coach Tomsula will have a chance to improve on his one and zero record.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We are 4-4 with 8 games to go.

The season is a long way from over.

We could finish anywhere between 4-12 and 12-4.

Relax enjoy the rest of the season.

Originally posted by buck:

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Sorry Jimbo, you did a pretty stellar job for the first couple of years from 2011-2012, but ever since you changed the entire philosophy of the offense especially this year everything simply has been downhill.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your hard work and I wish you the very best in your next endeavors.
If Harbaugh refuses to fire Roman (which I think he should to save his job) then he needs to go too
more and more he looks like the type of coach who can turn your program around into something competitive but never really take you over the top. also strikes me as a coach with a 3-4 year shelf life at each spot as the message begins to wear thin.
Originally posted by verb1der:
If Harbaugh refuses to fire Roman (which I think he should to save his job) then he needs to go too

He wont because he himself doesn't want to be here anymore watch when he is gone after the season and he takes his puppet with him youll see it was his plan all along. Screw the team over and get his one way ticket out of town.

Feels like the good old singletary smith days. Felt good just to pull out wins in those days. No more pressure to make the playoffs.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

He wont because he himself doesn't want to be here anymore watch when he is gone after the season and he takes his puppet with him youll see it was his plan all along. Screw the team over and get his one way ticket out of town.

I sure hope that's not his plan that would make me sick!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

Feels like the good old singletary smith days. Felt good just to pull out wins in those days. No more pressure to make the playoffs.

Just like the Singletary years? Not so sure.

Let's look again

2011---13 wins and 3 Losses
2012----11 wins, 4 losses, and 1 tie
2013----12 wins and 4 losses
2014----4 winds and 4 losses

regular season 40 wins, 15 losses, and 1 tie

Plus we had made the play offs three years and are not out of the chase for this year.

In the play offs, we are 5-3.

So, if my math is right, in the last four years the team has won 45 wins, 20 losses and 1 tie.

Yup, just like the Singletary years.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

If harbs does leave....I think Roman and Fangio go with him. Whomever the next coaching staff is it has to be a coaching staff thats already had success. That'll be the only way the Vets on this team remain confident.
Please lord...do not give us Mangini for HC!
My ONLY issue with Jim is that this offense has been broken for most of his tenure. Once Alex started to get in rhythm we switched to Kap. Which I STILL think was a mistake and as a gm I don't see how Baalke allowed this to happen. We still had Smith on a cheap contract and Kap obviously needed more time to learn. Yes he started in a SB in 10 starts but lets be honest... Geno Smith could have led us to the Super Bowl that year. Ever since then this offense hasn't made any strides. I wont put it all on Roman but week in week out I see other teams doing more with less. Stafford is out there throwing for 300 with Golden Tate as his #1 WR and Theo Ridick as his #1 HB.
Share 49ersWebzone