LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by meltdown:
Maybe thats the point I'm making, an average coach could have taken this team and won atleast 1 superbowl in the past 3 seasons with the rosters Baalke and co. have/had assembled. Harbaugh had everything layed out for him when he got here. He had an ideal situation, and blew it. Now that talent is older, injured, suspended, fading, or even on another team. Whats worse is we are in the eye of the storm and Harbaugh has no answers, and clearly lacks leadership. He is mainly responsible for this collapse. It really is a lack of focus, dedication and discipline. I wish we had a couple more Gore and Willis's on this team. We are 1-2, but its not the same 1-2 as last season, I think thats obvious.

"Meltdown" is what I think is happening to our team. I'm frustrated and needed to get something out. I notice some on these forums see things the same way... good. I feel like everything we've had, the talent, opportunities, are slipping away. Like we missed our window already. What I've seen these last 3 weeks (and the negative offseason) is disturbing and not what I expected out of this season, not by any means. We will know after Sunday if we are a playoff calibre team or not. HUGE test. I hope they find a way to give it to Stevie and feed Gore, those 2 guys are key next game...

It's hard to believe how an "Average" coach can take this team to the SB. IDK who you would consider an Average coach because the team that Erickson took over went to the playoffs with Mooch and Coach Sing had ALMOST all the key contributor that went to the Championship team that Harbaugh coached, Including the QB that Nolan/Sing didn't do anything with.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with you 816--just don't get the reasoning of Meltdown.

An average coach could take this team to at least one super bowl? Not sure what facts can be used to support this theory, so many variables, but it seems silly to assume a mediocre coach could put this team together let alone reach the super bowl. Why has Harbaugh succeeded to this extent, and everywhere he has coached? Because he is good enough as a HC to attract excellent assistant coaches and keep really good players happy or at least motivated. All areas are important for a HC, not just play calling.

On top of this he has a good system in place to train players so they excel in both the O and the D.

The only weakness over the past three years was at WR and they have taken care of that; and play calling. Would still like to see a different WR coach and more creative play calling but Harbaugh is evidently loyal and perhaps Morton/Roman have value added that I don't see.

Exactly....average coaches do not win titles. As I said above, our overall talent level had been exaggerated. No doubt we are very talented, but it's not like we are stacked like we were in the heydays. Our talent lies in kinda of overkill situations. When heathy, loaded at OL and LB, but until this year we were bad at WR and have been very average in the secondary.

Now I don't doubt the fact that some coaches could have won a title with this squad, but all of those guys are currently employed elsewhere. Let's just say jim has nothing to apologize about, he has done a great job. If for some reason he doesn't resign just wait to see the line of suitors lining up for his services.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Exactly....average coaches do not win titles. As I said above, our overall talent level had been exaggerated. No doubt we are very talented, but it's not like we are stacked like we were in the heydays. Our talent lies in kinda of overkill situations. When heathy, loaded at OL and LB, but until this year we were bad at WR and have been very average in the secondary.

Now I don't doubt the fact that some coaches could have won a title with this squad, but all of those guys are currently employed elsewhere. Let's just say jim has nothing to apologize about, he has done a great job. If for some reason he doesn't resign just wait to see the line of suitors lining up for his services.

And there will be many coaches lined up to coach this team...but I'm pretty happy with Harbaugh overall and believe he sees how good he has it here. If it comes down to an ultimatum--replace Roman and Morton or leave--I'm not sure what he would do.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
IMO Average head coaches:

Jeff Fisher: 6 10+ win season in 19 seasons. (0-1 in Superbowl, 1999)

Mike Smith: 62-37 record. 1-4 in the playoffs

Lovie Smith: 4 10+ win seasons in 9 years. (0-1 in Superbowl, 2006)

Rex Ryan: 43-40 record. 2009-2010: 20 wins & 2 AFC title games (0-2)

Marvin Lewis: 93-85 record. 0-5 in playoffs

John Fox: 109-86 record (73-71 in Carolina). 5 10+ win seasons in 12 seasons. (0-2 in Superbowls, 03 &13)

I would hate to have an average NFL coach.
[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM ]
We've had supreme talent and Jim is a supreme coach. Cmon guys! We've been 1 play away from knocking off the eventual champion 3 years straight! What more do you want other than making those 3 plays? Jim is staying unless this season plays out horribly and I don't see that happening at this point in time.
Originally posted by Jcool:
IMO Average head coaches:

Jeff Fisher: 6 10+ win season in 19 seasons. (0-1 in Superbowl, 1999)

Mike Smith: 62-37 record. 1-4 in the playoffs

Lovie Smith: 4 10+ win seasons in 9 years. (0-1 in Superbowl, 2006)

Rex Ryan: 43-40 record. 2009-2010: 20 wins & 2 AFC title games (0-2)

Marvin Lewis: 93-85 record. 0-5 in playoffs

John Fox: 109-86 record (73-71 in Carolina). 5 10+ win seasons in 12 seasons. (0-2 in Superbowls, 03 &13)

I would hate to have an average NFL coach.

Jim Harbaugh: 4 years season record 37-13; playoffs 5-3. Seems to be a great gulf between the average guys and Jim Harbaugh's record.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM ]
Jim Harbaugh: 4 years season record 37-13; playoffs 5-3. Seems to be a great gulf between the average guys and Jim Harbaugh's record.

There are already posters around here who are sure it's time to move on and get another coach. Amazing, isn't it?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
While many blames Erickson on the years of Fiasco, I really wont... He never had NO power nor say during this tenure here.. it was all on Terry Donahue... I know this for a fact..

1) Erickson did NOT want to trade Terrell Owens for some mediocre DL from Philly, he wanted a #2 pick at the very least.

2) Erickson did NOT want Rashaun Woods, he wanted Steven Jackson, he's RB from Oregon State.

3) Erickson did NOT want Brandon Lloyd, he wanted Anquan Boldin in the 2nd but the Cards beat them to it

4) Erickson did NOT believe that Barlow would fit in his Three Wide Set, but Donahue insisted that he was the best back in the draft "per Mike Shanahan"
Originally posted by 9moon:
While many blames Erickson on the years of Fiasco, I really wont... He never had NO power nor say during this tenure here.. it was all on Terry Donahue... I know this for a fact..

1) Erickson did NOT want to trade Terrell Owens for some mediocre DL from Philly, he wanted a #2 pick at the very least.

2) Erickson did NOT want Rashaun Woods, he wanted Steven Jackson, he's RB from Oregon State.

3) Erickson did NOT want Brandon Lloyd, he wanted Anquan Boldin in the 2nd but the Cards beat them to it

4) Erickson did NOT believe that Barlow would fit in his Three Wide Set, but Donahue insisted that he was the best back in the draft "per Mike Shanahan"
lol...you so crazy
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dear Jed

As your most loyal fan I have a suggestion for you. Please give Harbaugh an extension and give Baalke the boot.

Sincerly,
Your most loyal fan
susweel

I never liked the erickson hire. 2003 is all on Dennis though. We were essentially the same team as divison winning 2002 squad, with the exception of adding tony Parrish to the secondary(I'm sure he had 9 picks that year). His offense really didn't fit Garcia and IMO we were poorly coached to the tune of a 7-9 record.

As I said above, I give him a pass on 2004 because that team was gutted to expansion team levels.

In the pros, erickson isn't even in the same galaxy as jim. Dennis was no better than a .500 coach and a terrible hire for us at that point in time. We should not have had to settle on him, three years removed from 16 straight 10 win seasons and 5 titles.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol...you so crazy
wow,, i never thought i would see a post that defends erickson. not many things make me speechless.
IMO, you've got to go all the way back to the mid 70's to find a Niner HC even close to as bad as Erickson. The guy was mailing it in. He was commuting to his home in Southern California for cryin' out loud. He couldn't even be bothered to get a place in the same area code while serving as head coach.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

There are already posters around here who are sure it's time to move on and get another coach. Amazing, isn't it?

i would like to think most posters are just speculating and making a plan in their own minds what we should do if he leaves, for whatever reason. i hope he stays but if we continue to play like we have and he sticks by roman,,,,,,, that would be the only way i could justify wanting him gone. hell the year after we won a super bowl with walsh we were like 3-6 in a strike short season but bounced back nicely... IF jh does leave,, i would not want anyone on staff promoted to head coach. I hope and trust it will not come to that... the idea that if we do not win a super bowl, he should be fired,, has always been stupid in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
wow,, i never thought i would see a post that defends erickson. not many things make me speechless.

I feel the same way. I was too young to experience the joe thomas GM team days with rotating coaches but is imagine it looked an awful lot like DEERs 2004 season.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone