LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 425 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Where was that number 1 defense the year before he got here?Who made Alex Smith a legit NFL qb?Name me a coach who is going to have Harbaughs win loss record in his first three years here that's going to walk in here.You send Harbaugh to Miami and I guarantee he will make Tannehill legit and with Moreno,Lamar Miller,Hartline and Mike Wallace you'd be kicking yourself watching them thrash teams.While you bring in some johnny off the street and hope he pans out.There's a reason only Harbaugh and Chip Kelly succeed straight from college.They are good coaches at any level.What happened to Saban ,Spurrier and Petino?I mean it only took Pete Carroll three tries in the NFL to be a success

The defense was very good before Harbaugh got here. It was the putrid Jimmy Raye offense that kept the defense on the field far too much of the time that made the defense look weak.

It is also important to remember that after Singletary was forced to fire Raye and elevate Mike Johnson to OC, not only did the offense improve, Alex Smith QB rating jumped into the 90s for those final games.

Which brings me to my final point, which is; Alex Smith turned the corner BEFORE Harbaugh arrived. Give Harbaugh credit for recognizing that Smith was his best option at QB that first season, however, it is not accurate to say, as some have, that Harbaugh "turned Alex Smith around." He gave him a vote of confidence to play on with a good team but Smith was already very capable as has been shown by his continued success in KC. (Smith proved that once again yesterday by leading the Chiefs to a big win despite having multiple starters out with injuries.)
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Wow.Everyone wants to go John York/Mooch because were struggling.There's about 25 teams in the league who would love to have our coach.Let's just calm down and realize there's no one who is going to come in off the street and give better results then what we have had the last 3 years.We are missing the two best players on defense.We lost the last two games due to stupid penalties and we have been 1 dumb mistake away from a Championship the last 3 years.

Crabs, Anquan, and Frank have all made Public statements about not having a killer instinct and putting people away. These are our offensive team leaders. We got Ellington to have someone to stretch the field, but these guys will just never play youngsters if they don't have to. I believe this is part of the tension between Jim and Trent. Oh, and if you want to pay your qb $120m, you are going to have a lot of youngsters. We're playing a short game, and defenses are playing us like we play, which is crimping our toes. Penalties are always and everywhere on the coaching staff. We have no discipline. We've heard rumblings that the locker room is not happy. Some have observed that Jim Harbaugh has a history of wearing out his welcome, causing him to move to new pastures every few years. By some accounts, Jim himself talked to Lombardi about a move to Cleveland last offseason. Our players are clearly only giving him one half of play this year. That's all they've got to give him. If he's lost or loses the team, he's no earthly good to us.

There is no indispensable man. Coach or Quarterback. The overall team strength is all important, and to me we're clearly in the top five, which should put us in the SB run year after year. The way for a coach to lose his job is for his team to underperform its talent, and right now we're doing that. The other way is to appear to have lost the team and the locker room. He's still got time to turn it around, but if we can't beat Philadelphia next week, we're 1 and 3, and that's certainly below expectations and a drag on our future prospects this year.

Nobody pays you for what you did yesterday. Only for what they expect you to do tomorrow.

I say let them have him. He was riding the coattails of a #1 ranked defense. It's not worth re-signing him. I'm sick of this "west coast" offense, this "power run" offense, the pistol, read option, all that crap.

I WANT THE FKN WCO BACK.

Where was that number 1 defense the year before he got here?Who made Alex Smith a legit NFL qb?Name me a coach who is going to have Harbaughs win loss record in his first three years here that's going to walk in here.You send Harbaugh to Miami and I guarantee he will make Tannehill legit and with Moreno,Lamar Miller,Hartline and Mike Wallace you'd be kicking yourself watching them thrash teams.While you bring in some johnny off the street and hope he pans out.There's a reason only Harbaugh and Chip Kelly succeed straight from college.They are good coaches at any level.What happened to Saban ,Spurrier and Petino?I mean it only took Pete Carroll three tries in the NFL to be a success

The #1 defense was a #1 defense before he got here.... Who cares if JH "made Alex Smith a legit NFL QB?" What does that have to do with this team winning the super bowl? Absolutely nothing. He stepped into a team full of talent, a #1 defense, and a legit NFL QB. What did you expect to happen? For us to lose? After Nolan and Singletary, you could have brought in any decent HC with that roster and do the same thing he did.

Srsly, JH is Singletary 2.0.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Wow.Everyone wants to go John York/Mooch because were struggling.There's about 25 teams in the league who would love to have our coach.Let's just calm down and realize there's no one who is going to come in off the street and give better results then what we have had the last 3 years.We are missing the two best players on defense.We lost the last two games due to stupid penalties and we have been 1 dumb mistake away from a Championship the last 3 years.

The talent on this team, even without Bowman and Aldon, is better than to be beaten by a single dumb mistake or be overcome by a penalty call that went the wrong way.

If you are truly a good, well-coached team, you don't get beat by such things.

A pattern has developed that Harbaugh must turn around, and it starts by looking at the guy in the mirror.

So 3 games into his 4th season after he's 42-16-1 before that he can't coach?

IMO, Jim Harbaugh is about 7 or 8 in a list of the best coaches in the league. A coach at that level is going to win a lot of games with a roster as loaded as the one he inherited.

My hope is that this run of bad games will point out his need to bring the offense up to date with the league. No more 7th grade temper tantrums. No more rah-rah college cheers. The spread offense was working but even then what was being run was pretty vanilla compared to the teams that make it work game after game. Heck, if Pittsburgh can abandon their historic run-based offense and put a good spread passing game on the field, the 49ers should as well.

The alarm clock is ringing.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They actually didn't go back to the no-huddle until late in the 3rd and moved the ball easily against the Cardinals once again until the Boldin penalty. Arians didn't adjust to s**t, the Cardinals showed that they couldn't stop the no huddle but it was the 49ers coaching staff that let them off the hook.

It seems we let teams on our level and some cases not even on our level off the hook all the time. Like its great, the past three years we can beat up on the tampas, jags and whatever other teams trying to get their sh*t together. Yet when it comes to teams .500 or better we resort to trying to play "keep away" rather than "put them away."

That along with 3 straight very long seasons, lots of wins with no championship and questionable calls... and this team isnt mentally there. The players seemingly took this off-season lightly and now its showing in allot of areas. I understand if the coaches took it easy on them because its logical to think this team needs a substantial break, but now it seems they gave the players too much leniency in practices and programs. Brooks was overweight again, Lynch was as well, a couple random injuries, lack of discipline and seemingly the coaches dont even have a good grasp on our rookies positives and negatives.

It has the making of either an season like Arizona had last year, a good surge but just too late or a very very long season. If we keep letting opponents hang around and run 3 f*cking dives to settle for FG's in 1-2 possession leads (aka Roman doesnt get stripped of play calling).... its gonna be a very very long season because the areas that carried this team in the past like discipline, toughness and defense are no longer there.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!

COMING SOON!!!

MARCH 2015

CHUCKOHHHH!!!!

The talent on this team, even without Bowman and Aldon, is better than to be beaten by a single dumb mistake or be overcome by a penalty call that went the wrong way.

If you are truly a good, well-coached team, you don't get beat by such things.

A pattern has developed that Harbaugh must turn around, and it starts by looking at the guy in the mirror.

So 3 games into his 4th season after he's 42-16-1 before that he can't coach?

IMO, Jim Harbaugh is about 7 or 8 in a list of the best coaches in the league. A coach at that level is going to win a lot of games with a roster as loaded as the one he inherited.

My hope is that this run of bad games will point out his need to bring the offense up to date with the league. No more 7th grade temper tantrums. No more rah-rah college cheers. The spread offense was working but even then what was being run was pretty vanilla compared to the teams that make it work game after game. Heck, if Pittsburgh can abandon their historic run-based offense and put a good spread passing game on the field, the 49ers should as well.

The alarm clock is ringing.

I agree it's time for a wake up call. We may have had success in the spread, but I ask you, what happens EVERY YEAR? They abandon the run and lose because of it. And because of our offseason issues, we don't have the defense to commit to a run game. So we can't go back. We're stuck throwing the majority of the time. Which isn't our strength.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

Crabs, Anquan, and Frank have all made Public statements about not having a killer instinct and putting people away. These are our offensive team leaders. We got Ellington to have someone to stretch the field, but these guys will just never play youngsters if they don't have to. I believe this is part of the tension between Jim and Trent. Oh, and if you want to pay your qb $120m, you are going to have a lot of youngsters. We're playing a short game, and defenses are playing us like we play, which is crimping our toes. Penalties are always and everywhere on the coaching staff. We have no discipline. We've heard rumblings that the locker room is not happy. Some have observed that Jim Harbaugh has a history of wearing out his welcome, causing him to move to new pastures every few years. By some accounts, Jim himself talked to Lombardi about a move to Cleveland last offseason. Our players are clearly only giving him one half of play this year. That's all they've got to give him. If he's lost or loses the team, he's no earthly good to us.

There is no indispensable man. Coach or Quarterback. The overall team strength is all important, and to me we're clearly in the top five, which should put us in the SB run year after year. The way for a coach to lose his job is for his team to underperform its talent, and right now we're doing that. The other way is to appear to have lost the team and the locker room. He's still got time to turn it around, but if we can't beat Philadelphia next week, we're 1 and 3, and that's certainly below expectations and a drag on our future prospects this year.

Nobody pays you for what you did yesterday. Only for what they expect you to do tomorrow.

I say let them have him. He was riding the coattails of a #1 ranked defense. It's not worth re-signing him. I'm sick of this "west coast" offense, this "power run" offense, the pistol, read option, all that crap.

I WANT THE FKN WCO BACK.

The #1 defense was a #1 defense before he got here.... Who cares if JH "made Alex Smith a legit NFL QB?" What does that have to do with this team winning the super bowl? Absolutely nothing. He stepped into a team full of talent, a #1 defense, and a legit NFL QB. What did you expect to happen? For us to lose? After Nolan and Singletary, you could have brought in any decent HC with that roster and do the same thing he did.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
I still don't see why this should be celebrated. If you spoke to previous Niners from their championship years, 1 dumb mistake was unacceptable. Unfortunately I look at it from another perspective - you mean to tell me that we have/had championship caliber talent on this team but couldn't close the deal three years in a row and twice it came down to one rushed play and bad clock management (time outs). I guess celebrating 3rd place is cool with some....

No its not cool but who is going to replace him?Does he have faults?Yes.Clock managment is a huge one.My point is he has been successful here ,before he got here and after he leaves he will be successful.Who is going to take over this team.The Eagles had Chip Kelly and we have...

Like I said earlier we can't just go Mooch 2.0 and end up with Erickson 2.0
Originally posted by 9moon:
TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!

COMING SOON!!!

MARCH 2015

CHUCKOHHHH!!!!

Still dont understand the allure, I'd hire him as an OC or QB coach but as a HC...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Guys, what many of the fans do not see is the fact that our HC wants Kap to be "that" elite player... Kap had a bad game vs Chicago, and what did the coaching staff do?? they literally went to 90% passing offense, Five Wide Set, in order to put Kap back on the Map..

Our very own coaching staff have forgotten that we are a power house running team.. We won games w/lesser talent 3 years ago becaue of our running game.. We haven't had any rythm in offense since the opening game vs Green Bay last year..

Kap just can't throw a solid freakin slant, and if you try and rewind most of his slant passes, they are thrown directly (hard) to the receiver, instead of infront of him so that he can continue the run w/o breaking any strides..

i know this much, Wilson is up there in Seattle winning with lesser offensive talent.. that team may not set the tempo every game, but they stay within their game plan and keep the game alive..

I WANT THE FKN WCO BACK.

I still don't see why this should be celebrated. If you spoke to previous Niners from their championship years, 1 dumb mistake was unacceptable. Unfortunately I look at it from another perspective - you mean to tell me that we have/had championship caliber talent on this team but couldn't close the deal three years in a row and twice it came down to one rushed play and bad clock management (time outs). I guess celebrating 3rd place is cool with some....

No its not cool but who is going to replace him?Does he have faults?Yes.Clock managment is a huge one.My point is he has been successful here ,before he got here and after he leaves he will be successful.Who is going to take over this team.The Eagles had Chip Kelly and we have...

Like I said earlier we can't just go Mooch 2.0 and end up with Erickson 2.0

Just because I don't have an answer today, right this second about who should replace a coach that's failing coaching currently isn't a reason to TALK about replacement. Stick with what we have until someone comes up with an alternative? Who? The argument isn't "this is the best that's out there" because clearly teams prove year after year, as we did 3 years ago, there is always better. True there can be worse, but I think the 49ers today are a little different than the organization that chose Nolan and Sing. Go through the coaching search process and see what comes of it. This team will be very talented for the next 2 seasons with the core players it has. The window is closing quickly.

The reason why we should be talking about it is because Harbaugh is trying to get an extension on his contract... and, quite frankly, I don't see him back here without winning a Super Bowl. He's had three opportunities with the best roster in the NFL, and now we're in danger of not making the playoffs?
[ Edited by DavidWGibson on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM ]

• dj43
Guys, what many of the fans do not see is the fact that our HC wants Kap to be "that" elite player... Kap had a bad game vs Chicago, and what did the coaching staff do?? they literally went to 90% passing offense, Five Wide Set, in order to put Kap back on the Map..

Our very own coaching staff have forgotten that we are a power house running team.. We won games w/lesser talent 3 years ago becaue of our running game.. We haven't had any rythm in offense since the opening game vs Green Bay last year..

Kap just can't throw a solid freakin slant, and if you try and rewind most of his slant passes, they are thrown directly (hard) to the receiver, instead of infront of him so that he can continue the run w/o breaking any strides..

i know this much, Wilson is up there in Seattle winning with lesser offensive talent.. that team may not set the tempo every game, but they stay within their game plan and keep the game alive..
I believe the bolded is a part of the problem. Not all of it but a part.

Harbaugh benched a winning quarterback for a new toy - a guy with great athletic ability though admittedly very raw. (many pundits said it would take 3-4 years for Kaepernick to develop his game to NFL level) After CK had a great game against a stale, vanilla defense that night against the Bears, Harbaugh committed to him as "the guy." Since that time, Kaepernick's best games have come against Green Bay, playing a predictable defense, and that first game against Chicago. Most of the rest of the time he has been a strong-armed running quarterback still lacking the finesse to be called a very good NFL quarterback. Yes, his overall numbers have been good but the NFL measures success by the number of chances you have for a ring that you convert. Yesterday the game plan seemed to be to set up Kaepernick to either throw it or run it while the rest of the team watched "the guy" make plays. The result was that the relatively simple game plan became predictable and AZ defended it well while Harbaugh watched, seemingly not know how to adjust.

Use ALL the weapons, not just the one in which you appear to have a vested personal interest.
  • dj43
Just because I don't have an answer today, right this second about who should replace a coach that's failing coaching currently isn't a reason to TALK about replacement. Stick with what we have until someone comes up with an alternative? Who? The argument isn't "this is the best that's out there" because clearly teams prove year after year, as we did 3 years ago, there is always better. True there can be worse, but I think the 49ers today are a little different than the organization that chose Nolan and Sing. Go through the coaching search process and see what comes of it. This team will be very talented for the next 2 seasons with the core players it has. The window is closing quickly.

That is the key: How long will the window stay open.

Teams that consistently stay at the top manage the cap well by constantly replacing older, more expensive players with younger less expensive ones. You cannot keep older, expensive players around forever even though they have been your stars. You must develop and integrate those younger players into the system WHILE your stars are at their peak.

Right now I believe Gore is past his prime, Vernon, Willis and Justin Smith are still at their peak but the clock says that next year may begin to see a decline. Brooks came in heavy and is not playing as he did last season. McDonald could disappear overnight. Who knows what Bowman will be when he gets backs.

Hyde looks like the real deal to replace Gore but have we seen anything that suggests we have the guys to replace these other veteran stars. I am not convinced we have. The staff clearly prefers to play vets rather than work in the younger ones. Will Dial and Carradine be the guys? We never see them in games. Who is the last young receiver this staff has developed. Crabtree is still the same guy that came out of college pro ready so he doesn't count. Trades for Boldin and Johnson but where is Ellington? Lockette was sent packing and is now a regular contributor in Seattle. Doug Baldwin is the same story. Who will replace Boldin, or Crabtree if we don't match FA money next year?

I fear the window closed last season when Bowman went down and 3/4 of the secondary left with nothing in there to replace them. I hope I'm wrong but I have seen a lot of football over the years and teams that do not constantly develop young new talent suddenly just drop off the edge of the table into NFL purgatory.
Our coaching has not been championship level grade these last 2 contests. We are losing games and have lost 3 championships due to our play it safe conservative methods. I am sick of it right now to tell you the truth. Now we all know we didn't win jack when Harbaugh was still in college so I am grateful we have him but we have lost the last 3 times out not because of talent or the lack thereof but we've been out coached and largely in part because we've played not to lose. I see now why Jed hasn't backed up the Brink's truck because Jim hasn't delivered the chip yet and talent is not an excuse. We had both CHI and ARI dead to rights but we've refused to keep doing what works and put our foot on their throats. Now we are looking at 1-2 and I hope we discover that killer instinct we need to finish these games real quick because I am tired of squandering talent because of stubbornness and not playing young players that need to see the field
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I agree w/ DJ... and all that were mentioned, makes me really believe that only a Super Bowl win would keep Harbaugh in the Bay Area..

I know that he's done a great job w/the talented team that he inherited and I'm not gonna deny that, but it's getting clearer and clearer in my opinion that if he, can not see what us fans can see w/ his coaching staff (Roman specially) then it is true that he could be losing the trust of his own players, the belief of the team, and his ways must be stopped now..

I look at the teams around the NFC west, and each one had done something to catch up to us (if not past us) but we continue to stay the same.. Had Bradford did not get injured, the Rams woulda been a good team... if a 2nd stringer QB (Stanton) toyed w/our D the way he did yesterday, what more if he was an elite QB??

Seattle's offensive talent is no where 50% as good as ours, but yet, they continue to produce and strike fear to other teams opponents..

And personally, I don't like the fact that our QB, who is suppose to be the team leader, walks around w/that overpriced BEAT headset, does lots of photo shoot, party like it's 1999, wears another team's hat.. all these, is a sign of a young talented QB that is heading for a downfall..

See the list:

1) Tim Rosenbach
2) Kerry Collins
3) Cade McNown
3) Matt Leinhart
4) Mark Sanchez
  • dj43
I agree w/ DJ... and all that were mentioned, makes me really believe that only a Super Bowl win would keep Harbaugh in the Bay Area..

I know that he's done a great job w/the talented team that he inherited and I'm not gonna deny that, but it's getting clearer and clearer in my opinion that if he, can not see what us fans can see w/ his coaching staff (Roman specially) then it is true that he could be losing the trust of his own players, the belief of the team, and his ways must be stopped now..

I look at the teams around the NFC west, and each one had done something to catch up to us (if not past us) but we continue to stay the same.. Had Bradford did not get injured, the Rams woulda been a good team... if a 2nd stringer QB (Stanton) toyed w/our D the way he did yesterday, what more if he was an elite QB??

Seattle's offensive talent is no where 50% as good as ours, but yet, they continue to produce and strike fear to other teams opponents..

And personally, I don't like the fact that our QB, who is suppose to be the team leader, walks around w/that overpriced BEAT headset, does lots of photo shoot, party like it's 1999, wears another team's hat.. all these, is a sign of a young talented QB that is heading for a downfall..

See the list:

1) Tim Rosenbach
2) Kerry Collins
3) Cade McNown
3) Matt Leinhart
4) Mark Sanchez

I'm not about ready to put Kaepernick in the same bag as those guys. However, I believe Harbaugh, or someone, needs to sit Kaepernick down and talk to him about the image he is portraying to the public and the rest of the team. If you are going to be a team leader, especially the QB, you need to be football first and foremost, well ahead of your endorsements and wardrobe.
Share 49ersWebzone