There are 189 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
You would think the guy who resurrected your team after a decade of being one of the most pathetic organizations in the NFL would get treated like royalty. Instead pride and egos are getting in the way of doing what's right.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jun 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I have a sick ill feeling that this is Harbaugh's last ride with us. I better be wrong and I HOPE Im wrong but c'mon why didn't he sign his extension?

The entire front office, including Harbaugh, has a lot of other more pressing issues to deal with, than a coach whose contract expires in two years.

I'm sure Harbaugh himself wanted everybody to focus on Kap, Crabs, Aldon and others, before worrying about contracts expiring in two years, which includes Davis and Boone.

Although Boone would be nice to extend.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
You would think the guy who resurrected your team after a decade of being one of the most pathetic organizations in the NFL would get treated like royalty. Instead pride and egos are getting in the way of doing what's right.

Whose pride and ego are getting in the way?

And, where did you get this information?
[ Edited by buck on Jun 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I have a sick ill feeling that this is Harbaugh's last ride with us. I better be wrong and I HOPE Im wrong but c'mon why didn't he sign his extension?

The entire front office, including Harbaugh, has a lot of other more pressing issues to deal with, than a coach whose contract expires in two years.

I'm sure Harbaugh himself wanted everybody to focus on Kap, Crabs, Aldon and others, before worrying about contracts expiring in two years, which includes Davis and Boone.

Although Boone would be nice to extend.

Boone is ranked 41st in salary for guards according to over the cap. (Well, if I counted correctly.)

That is not so good. I have no problem with Boone fighting to get more money.

I hope he gets his extension.

http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I don't even get the BFD about this. There is no cap for the coach's salary, pay the guy his money. $10M per or whatever it takes to make him the top paid coach in the league...he deserves it.

lol
I think people have prematurely expected a contract extension to have happened already. To me, after year 4 has always been the target date since you don't want your coach to go into a season as a "lame duck".

My gut is the 49ers have approached Harbaugh about an extension, but less than "SB winner" money. Harbaugh is betting on himself that he will win a SB by the end of year 4, and he will get that SB-winning coach money. If he doesn't win it, I still think he signs an extension with us. He's just buying time to try and win a SB before signing anything so he can get the best deal possible.

Pete Carroll didn't sign an extension until after year 4, when he won the SB, just before entering the final year of his deal. Same situation with Harbaugh, but of course the media is spinning it to be something of a controversial situation when it's not. It's pretty standard procedure.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think people have prematurely expected a contract extension to have happened already. To me, after year 4 has always been the target date since you don't want your coach to go into a season as a "lame duck".

My gut is the 49ers have approached Harbaugh about an extension, but less than "SB winner" money. Harbaugh is betting on himself that he will win a SB by the end of year 4, and he will get that SB-winning coach money. If he doesn't win it, I still think he signs an extension with us. He's just buying time to try and win a SB before signing anything so he can get the best deal possible.

Pete Carroll didn't sign an extension until after year 4, when he won the SB, just before entering the final year of his deal. Same situation with Harbaugh, but of course the media is spinning it to be something of a controversial situation when it's not. It's pretty standard procedure.

I think the opposite is happening. Harbaugh has said on multiple occasions that he isn't seeking to be the highest paid coach, that he feels fairly compensated. I think the 9ers approached him about giving him the fattest contract and Harbaugh didn't feel it was right. I think Harbaugh wants his assistants to get locked up with extensions first before he re-signs.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I think the opposite is happening. Harbaugh has said on multiple occasions that he isn't seeking to be the highest paid coach, that he feels fairly compensated. I think the 9ers approached him about giving him the fattest contract and Harbaugh didn't feel it was right. I think Harbaugh wants his assistants to get locked up with extensions first before he re-signs.

I'm aware of those remarks from Harbaugh, but I get the feeling he likes to blow hot air when dealing with the media.

If that were really the case, that he's content with the money he's making, than why not sign an extension at his current salary?

He wants a more lucrative deal, any competitor in any field wants more than the people he's better than. He wants to win the SB first IMO. It will give him way more leverage in negotiations.

Even if he doesn't win it, he's not going anywhere IMO. He's too good a coach, and I believe he genuinely wants to be here and nowhere else.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Mike Tomlin is a SB winner for f**ks sake. Anybody want to trade Harbaugh for Tomlin and pay him "SB winner" money? Hell no. Harbaugh all day, every day. Pay the man,
Yes! Or how about even John Harbaugh, for that matter?

If Broncos safety Rahim Moore doesn't misplay the hail mary at the end of the 4th quarter, Jacoby Jones never scores and the Ravens are eliminated in the divisional round. Instead, they go on to win the Super Bowl. They "shouldn't" even have been there in the first place!

But that's the point -- sometimes it takes a little luck. By the way, not saying John Harbaugh is a bad coach... just pointing out that he has achieved the Super Bowl Winner™ title, even though he could've easily been knocked out much earlier in the playoffs.

lol. He was on the sportschannel classics today. Anybody see that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Great insight. I think this is exactly what is on Harbaugh's mind.
George Whitfield the QB guru is now a coaching intern with 49ers. Harbaugh attracts good people
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
George Whitfield the QB guru is now a coaching intern with 49ers. Harbaugh attracts good people

Wonder what pays more NFL assistant coach or private QB coach.
Share 49ersWebzone