LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Pay the man! Unless the Yorks want to go back to the likes of Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We are signing this guy to a big money deal the summer of 2015. Heck he got us a new stadium
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hohbie:
I think we will get his extension hammered out in the next couple of weeks. You can tell they wanted to get Kaep done first to get it out of the way. I like how PFT starts s**t saying no movement just a couple days after Kaep signed. No kidding no movement, they just signed their franchise QB to a long term deal 2 days ago. They will get Harbaugh done real soon.

Agree, signed *this year* not next year. But he will be signed.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Pay him whatever he wants it doesnt count on the salary cap.

Harbaugh is a great coach (even though I don't like his public persona). And like you said, his salary doesn't count on the cap (assuming he's not asking for something crazy), I'm surprised what the big deal is.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Harb's is gonna get his extension after we win a superbowl. if we dont win a superbowl within the next two years with this roster he doesnt deserve an extension as far as im concerned and I love the dude. hopefully he gets it done. i think hes a great coach but he still has a brain fart or two in a few games every year and his loyalty to roman is starting to get really annoying. hopefully it all pays off and we lock up harbs for the next decade
To me this is a very dangerous mindset. The barometer should not be "has he won Super Bowls", it should be "are we consistently in a position to win one?".

Look at someone like Bill Belichick. Belichick is probably the best coach in the game today (in fact, I would say he is inarguably the best coach of his era, but I digress). In 14 seasons with the Patriots, he's won the Super Bowl "only" 3 times. That means 11 out of his 14 (79% of the time) seasons he's "failed". Over the last nine seasons, he hasn't won a single Super Bowl (this includes 3 AFC Championship Game losses and 2 Super Bowl losses).

Football is a game of inches, and often times wins or losses don't come down to coaching, they come down to lucky breaks (especially in win-or-go-home, make-or-break games). Personally, I'd hate to see Harbaugh kicked to the curb because he hasn't won it all. Making it to the NFCCG 3 years in a row and instantly transforming our franchise into a juggernaut says expontentially more about his coaching ability than his lack of Super Bowls does.

I would absolutely hate to see Baalke/York decide that he lacks the "killer instinct" to win it all and push him out the door, only to bring in someone else who would almost assuredly be a downgrade.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jun 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
Harb's is gonna get his extension after we win a superbowl. if we dont win a superbowl within the next two years with this roster he doesnt deserve an extension as far as im concerned and I love the dude. hopefully he gets it done. i think hes a great coach but he still has a brain fart or two in a few games every year and his loyalty to roman is starting to get really annoying. hopefully it all pays off and we lock up harbs for the next decade
To me this is a very dangerous mindset. The barometer should not be "has he won Super Bowls", it should be "are we consistently in a position to win one?".

Look at someone like Bill Belichick. Belichick is probably the best coach in the game today (in fact, I would say he is inarguably the best coach of his era, but I digress). In 14 seasons with the Patriots, he's won the Super Bowl "only" 3 times. That means 11 out of his 14 (79% of the time) seasons he's "failed". Over the last nine seasons, he hasn't won a single Super Bowl (this includes 3 AFC Championship Game losses and 2 Super Bowl losses).

Football is a game of inches, and often times wins or losses don't come down to coaching, they come down to lucky breaks (especially in win-or-go-home, make-or-break games). Personally, I'd hate to see Harbaugh kicked to the curb because he hasn't won it all. Making it to the NFCCG 3 years in a row and instantly transforming our franchise into a juggernaut says expontentially more about his coaching ability than his lack of Super Bowls does.

I would absolutely hate to see Baalke/York decide that he lacks the "killer instinct" to win it all and push him out the door, only to bring in someone else who would almost assuredly be a downgrade.

with the roster we have had the last 3 years we shouldve had ATLEAST one superbowl win. I love harbs, but sometimes this coaching staff's decisions bite us in the ass at crucial times. my problem is mostly with roman but if harbaugh is too stubborn to axe that fat b*****d it may lead to his own exit. i think harbs will get it done but the owner and GM arent gonna wait forever when they have a damn all pro roster to work with, especially this year. we are literally stacked at damn near every position and we have given the offense weapons everywhere, if the redzone problems still occur something needs to happen at OC
with the roster we have had the last 3 years we shouldve had ATLEAST one superbowl win. I love harbs, but sometimes this coaching staff's decisions bite us in the ass at crucial times. my problem is mostly with roman but if harbaugh is too stubborn to axe that fat b*****d it may lead to his own exit. i think harbs will get it done but the owner and GM arent gonna wait forever when they have a damn all pro roster to work with, especially this year. we are literally stacked at damn near every position and we have given the offense weapons everywhere, if the redzone problems still occur something needs to happen at OC
The 2007 Patriots were basically the best team of the modern era (16-0), and yet they still lost the Super Bowl to a 10-win Giants team that snuck into the playoffs as a Wild Card team. On top of this, they had the best coach of the last 15 years in Belichick. Does anyone doubt that Belichick has what it takes to win it all? (Please spare me on any "he-hasn't-won-since-Spygate" crap.) Having a loaded roster doesn't mean anything. You're still not a lock to win.

It's frustrating that we haven't won it all with Harbaugh... but we're going to be even more frustrated with the results if give him the boot, I will guarantee you that.

But yeah, I do sympathize a little bit... Roman can be frustrating.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jun 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
The 2007 Patriots were basically the best team of the modern era (16-0), and yet they still lost the Super Bowl to a 10-win Giants team that snuck into the playoffs as a Wild Card team. On top of this, they had the best coach of the last 15 years in Belichick. Does anyone doubt that Belichick has what it takes to win it all? (Please spare me on any "he-hasn't-won-since-Spygate" crap.) Having a loaded roster doesn't mean anything. You're still not a lock to win.

It's frustrating that we haven't won it all with Harbaugh... but we're going to be even more frustrated with the results if give him the boot, I will guarantee you that.

But yeah, I do sympathize a little bit... Roman can be frustrating.
these niners would wipe their ass with the 2007 patriots dude. so would seattle for that matter. my point is that harbaugh and staff have a loaded roster and look like the better team even when they have lost due to poor coaching decisions and play calls many times. spotting every team in the playoffs a 20 point lead during our superbowl run if i remember correctly, losing their aggressiveness against seattle after we started hot against them in the division championship game, refusing to run gore two years in a row within 10 yards of the endzone with 4 downs to play with two years in a row. these are coaching issues, no doubt in my mind that we would have a fresh superbowl trophy or two without roman and some of the calls hes made in crucial moments. im not saying to fire harbaugh if you read what I said, im just saying if he doesnt get it done in this five year contract term, maybe we should be looking at someone else, or atleast put pressure on him to get a better OC.
This is the price that football fans pay to have a 24/7 NFL channel. They have to try and dig anything up they can....Move along, there's nothing to see here.
im not saying to fire harbaugh if you read what I said, im just saying if he doesnt get it done in this five year contract term, maybe we should be looking at someone else, or atleast put pressure on him to get a better OC.
Okay -- wasn't trying to take what you said out of context. So basically, you're more frustrated with Roman than Harbaugh. I agree with what you're saying generally. If we continue to struggle offensively, it is perhaps time to look at a new OC. The other Harbaugh fired his OC mid-season and one a Super Bowl... sometimes those ballsy decisions pay off.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM ]

In 1988, the Niners started off very slowly. I think they were at about .500 through half the season. The previous three years, they had made the playoffs, but went one and done each time. In 86, they were completely blown out in NY. That roster included Montana, Rice, Taylor, Lott, Craig and Rathman at the RB's, Michael Carter at NT, Charles Haley, McKyer and Griffin at the corners and a seasoned, effective Offensive line. If you want to say that THIS roster should have at least won one Super Bowl in the last three years, you'd have to say that THAT roster should have won every Super Bowl over the last three years.

That's just not the way things work. Good or great rosters are no guarantee of winning anything. Maybe they are in Madden or in fantasy football, I don't know. But in the real world, that's not the way things work. The ball bounces funny ways, injuries happen, players have down games and down periods, bad calls happen, other teams get hot and have great games, etc. etc. etc.
Originally posted by crake49:

In 1988, the Niners started off very slowly. I think they were at about .500 through half the season. The previous three years, they had made the playoffs, but went one and done each time. In 86, they were completely blown out in NY. That roster included Montana, Rice, Taylor, Lott, Craig and Rathman at the RB's, Michael Carter at NT, Charles Haley, McKyer and Griffin at the corners and a seasoned, effective Offensive line. If you want to say that THIS roster should have at least won one Super Bowl in the last three years, you'd have to say that THAT roster should have won every Super Bowl over the last three years.

That's just not the way things work. Good or great rosters are no guarantee of winning anything. Maybe they are in Madden or in fantasy football, I don't know. But in the real world, that's not the way things work. The ball bounces funny ways, injuries happen, players have down games and down periods, bad calls happen, other teams get hot and have great games, etc. etc. etc.

yeah its like raising kids, you can do everything possible to make it easier on them but they still gotta go out and execute things in the real world. yeah our team is talented but they dont just give you the superbowl, you gotta go and earn it through execution on the field. we got 5 titles and about 10-12 other who could have won it. thats the price you pay for always being in the mix.
Originally posted by crabman82:
yeah its like raising kids, you can do everything possible to make it easier on them but they still gotta go out and execute things in the real world. yeah our team is talented but they dont just give you the superbowl, you gotta go and earn it through execution on the field. we got 5 titles and about 10-12 other who could have won it. thats the price you pay for always being in the mix.

Right. What I want is for the team to be a contender. As long as it's a contender, it has a chance every year. Right now and for the foreseeable future, the team is in the mix. Vegas has them with the third best odds to win the next Super Bowl.
You guys realize you're getting worked up about a Mike Florio report? A report that essentially states, "Nothing is happening?"

Use your brains for just a moment. It's the offseason. Contract talks have only "stalled" because they're not happening right at this moment. Florio can literally write this kind of post about ANYTHING.

Seriously, nothing is "stalled." It's just on hold, the same way it's been since the last time they tried to figure out a contact for Harbs. Nothing has changed... it's just Florio being Florio generating content.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
You guys realize you're getting worked up about a Mike Florio report? A report that essentially states, "Nothimg is happening?"

Use your brains for just a moment. It's the offseason. Contract talks have only "stalled" because they're not happening right at this moment. Florio can literally write this kind of post about ANYTHING.

Seriously, nothing is "stalled." It's just on hold, the same way it's been since the last time they tried to figure out a contact for Harbs. Nothing has changed... it's just Florio being Florio generating content.

Is that what's going on? I try not to pay any attention to Florio's articles anymore. Why bother? I think these so-called journalists should be treated like a batter. In Florio's case this off season - Harbaugh being traded to the Browns! Strike one; Harbaugh and Baalke don't get along, one's got to go! Strike two; Niners will not excercise Aldon Smith's option year! Steeeerrrrriiiiike Three! You're outta there! Florio, what are you still doing standing at the plate?
Share 49ersWebzone