LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Harbs4Prez!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He never will function well with the media and as a result we will probably continue to see the blowback we received this entire offseason of made up hypotheticals based off "anonymous sources" and falsehoods.

The lack of professionalism on the part of the media is not Harbaugh's responsibility. The media is going to do what it does.

Harbaugh is the public voice of the franchise.

When he speaks to the media he is representing the organization, not merely himself.

Dealing with the media is part of his job. It is one aspect of his work that needs improving.

He could do a much better job than he has done, although he did seem to improve somewhat last year.
Originally posted by buck:
He never will function well with the media and as a result we will probably continue to see the blowback we received this entire offseason of made up hypotheticals based off "anonymous sources" and falsehoods.

The lack of professionalism on the part of the media is not Harbaugh's responsibility. The media is going to do what it does.

Harbaugh is the public voice of the franchise.

When he speaks to the media he is representing the organization, not merely himself.

Dealing with the media is part of his job. It is one aspect of his work that needs improving.

He could do a much better job than he has done, although he did seem to improve somewhat last year.

We knew exactly what we were getting when we hired Jim and we hired him anyway! To now ask him to change who he is as a coach and communicating with media seems to be second place to what we really hired him to do ... WIN! He has won just like he did at Stanford at his previous stop while giving the media the cold shoulder there. We knew and we accepted so we need to try to enjoy this winning! Sure it is wishful thinking and probably nice to consider that he could a** kiss the media a bit more but I won't lose sleep over it!
  • buck
  • Veteran
We knew exactly what we were getting when we hired Jim and we hired him anyway!

To now ask him to change who he is as a coach and communicating with media seems to be second place to what we really hired him to do ... WIN! He has won just like he did at Stanford at his previous stop while giving the media the cold shoulder there. We knew and we accepted so we need to try to enjoy this winning! Sure it is wishful thinking and probably nice to consider that he could a** kiss the media a bit more but I won't lose sleep over it!

First, I agree he has proven to be a very good coach. The team is winning and in good part because of him.

I have no problem with winning. I like him as a coach--and I hope that he signs a long term deal.

But, I would still like to see improve the passing game.

I do not care how he treated the media while he was at Stanford. In fact, I know nothing about that.

Second, I am not asking or suggesting that he kiss the media's butt.

Kissing the media's butt would not be very professional and it might even be worse than what he does now.
Between kissing butt and what he does now, I would take the now.

I would just like to see him improve the way deals with the media. I also believe old dogs can learn new tricks.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
How many times have you seen an NFL coach who is so iconic that kids wear costumes evocative of his image?

Hahaha, this is great
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Hahaha, this is great

Right, and Harbaugh could use a little fashion sense from this little guy - notice his khakis are flat front instead of pleated.
Former Chicago Bears and Stanford running back Brad Muster is coach of the Santa Rosa Junior College football team and his former room mate and team mate, Coach Harbaugh will speak to the team in June. There was something in the article about that I felt really should be highlighted. It's the first time I've seen this and it kind of blows me away. From the article:

"Muster was first struck by those qualities as an NFL rookie in 1988 when Harbaugh, a third-string quarterback, begged special teams coach Steve Kazor to play on the punt- and kickoff-coverage units. As a backup, Harbaugh missed the feeling of waking up in the morning and "feeling sore."

Did Muster ever wonder what was wrong with his buddy?

"Maybe a little bit," he said. "But his leadership in that way was infectious and when you see a guy like that doing everything he can think of to make plays for the team, it only serves to motivate you.""

[ Edited by crake49 on May 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]
How many times have you seen an NFL coach who is so iconic that kids wear costumes evocative of his image?

Wait, I thought Russell Wilson was the only QB in our division who took pictures with kids?
Where are the strippers?
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Wait, I thought Russell Wilson was the only QB in our division who took pictures with kids?
Where are the strippers?

That was my understanding also. This pic must be a photoshop.
that exchange between Harbaugh and kawakami is crazy!

anyone else seen it?

There was an excellent interview with coach on KNBR radio this morning (which is posted on 49ers.com) that illuminated a few things. How can you not love this guy. His approach, philosophy and work ethic as a head football coach is spot on to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Former Chicago Bears and Stanford running back Brad Muster is coach of the Santa Rosa Junior College football team and his former room mate and team mate, Coach Harbaugh will speak to the team in June. There was something in the article about that I felt really should be highlighted. It's the first time I've seen this and it kind of blows me away. From the article:

"Muster was first struck by those qualities as an NFL rookie in 1988 when Harbaugh, a third-string quarterback, begged special teams coach Steve Kazor to play on the punt- and kickoff-coverage units. As a backup, Harbaugh missed the feeling of waking up in the morning and "feeling sore."

Did Muster ever wonder what was wrong with his buddy?

"Maybe a little bit," he said. "But his leadership in that way was infectious and when you see a guy like that doing everything he can think of to make plays for the team, it only serves to motivate you.""

Bill Walsh - 60+% winning percentage. Jim Harbaugh 70% wining percentage.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Where are the strippers?

I thought that was Russell Wilson ;)
Originally posted by defenderDX:
that exchange between Harbaugh and kawakami is crazy!

anyone else seen it?

I seen it and i thought it was pretty normal. A reporter shouldn't be scared to ask tough questions, and coach should be professional enough to answer. They both did their jobs.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
duplicate post
[ Edited by THEB on May 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone