There are 245 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
After following all the various threads of this storyline, it goes like this.

Lombardi or Banner->>>>>>This Joe Lull guy who has been an apologist for them the whole time, clearly is being fed a bunch of BS by them that he's happily swallowing up----------> Florio, either from Lull or directly from Lombardi or Banner themselves.

Lull himself stated that only "you could count on one hand the amount of people in the Browns organization knew about Harbaugh." This could mean 5 people..4...3...2...1, any combination of that.

The Browns offered the job to McDaniels, he was ready to go and accept the position, this was back when the 49ers were still in the playoffs and was confirmed by the media at the time. Lombardi made some proclamations that McDaniels would be their coach, then they did what all f**k-ups do and they f**ked up, they got cute and started talking to other coaching candidates, this was confirmed by the Cleveland media. McDaniels got pissed off that they were still interviewing people, basically decided to take his ball and go home.

Now Lombardi and Banner have egg on their face, some of the other candidates they were interested in either withdrew their names after the way McDaniels was treated, or they managed to piss off completely such as in the case of Ken Whisenhunt who got up in Banner's face during the interview, challenging him on exactly what the hell he knew about putting together a Superbowl caliber coaching staff.

In a Hail Mary attempt, the Lombardi starts a discussion of how to acquire a top candidate, to make a big splash after blowing it with McDaniels and Chip Kelly a year earlier. Harbaugh is the first guy on the rolodex since Lombardi has a connection to both of the Harbaugh brothers from his time in Philly and Oakland and since Jim is from Toledo they figure maybe the Lombardi connection plus Harbaugh's Midwest roots would help their cause, not to mention the rumors of friction between Baalke, who beat out Lombardi for the 49ers GM job 3 years ago, and Harbaugh. Lombardi and Banner, as f**k-up's tend to do, begin to talk up a potential huge acquisition that would change the franchise to the ownership before anything has been done. When they approach the 49ers, the whole thing falls apart, either the 49ers laugh at them on the other end or they demand a ridiculous amount of compensation that Cleveland won't meet.

Lombardi and Banner go back with their tails between their legs, end up hiring the defensive coordinator who had the 20th ranked NFL defense. They blew it with McDaniels, blew it with Whisenhunt, and blew it with Harbaugh, Haslam is pissed off, decides to dump both of them.

They both go to the media when everyone is consolidated at the Combine, where both have been seen in attendance, they talk up the Harbaugh connection as being far more tangible than it actually was in an attempt to try and save face, to massage the story to their advantage, their idiot lap dog on talk radio in Cleveland happily laps up the BS and......here we go.

This!!!!!! Phoenix you killed that s**t bro! Post of the year right here!!!

If you really think it's real read the post above from Phoenix

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

One of the greatest rock tracks ever!!!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Niners99:
The 49ers were probably in negotiations with Harbaugh, and things just got heated.

Harbaugh probably asked for 14 mil a year or something insane, 49ers said 8 mil, no more. Harbaugh said hed walk if he couldnt get his price. 49ers said how about we see what the Browns would give up then, since youre walking. Harbaugh then caved and said hed lower his price.

Expect a new deal to come out in the next month. 5 years, 50 mil.

Probably his agent playing the leverage games, but yeah, good point.

Its either leverage games that werent supposed to be leaked, or a Browns exec. (Lombardi) made a Browns hail mary trade attempt, the 49ers declined, and then he blew it WAY out of proportion by telling the media they discussed a trade.

Sounds like one of those things that started as nothing, and the person who published the report had to lie about the scenario to make it news worthy. Nobody is going to talk about a report that the Browns "made a lame trade offer to the 49ers for one of the best coaches in the NFL, but the 49ers politely declined."

Even still, Jim Harbaugh has used a crappy, joke of an organization to gain leverage on his contract negotiations before (Miami). Theres no way he was actually going to coach either of those dumpster fires.

Honestly, if I owned the 49ers, id give Harbaugh what he wants. His contract doesnt count towards the cap, and were completely SCREWED without him. Theres no possible way were going to improve at HC in any scenario where he leaves. Give him 10+ mil a year. Give him as many years as he wants to stay.

But the number 1 reason I believe this report is BS? Jed York has to open his brand new stadium next year, and sell tons of expensive seats. Giving our elite coach the boot to start off this next era of 49ers football would be a fantastic way to kill any momentum heading into 2014. Fans would riot. Jed is a smart guy. Thats a move his dad wouldve made, not him.
Lombardie and harbaugh r friends......
Originally posted by bigwads:
Guys, if Cleveland was going to send two first rounders for Harbaugh, like the Bucs did for Gruden, you bet your A$$ Harbaugh would be sent packing in a heart beat.

Wrong. Because 1) That likely still wouldn't be enough for a coach of Harbaugh's caliber and 2) You don't let a coach like Harbaugh walk unless you're 1000% sure you have someone better lined up.

So the question becomes, if this all went down the way it's being "reported" (which is a generous way to put it), why isn't anyone coming forward to tell us who was tapped to be Harbaugh's replacement? I don't recall reading one word about the 49ers reaching out to anyone for an interview.

The more I hear about it, the more this story sounds like BS.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Its either leverage games that werent supposed to be leaked, or a Browns exec. (Lombardi) made a Browns hail mary trade attempt, the 49ers declined, and then he blew it WAY out of proportion by telling the media they discussed a trade.

Sounds like one of those things that started as nothing, and the person who published the report had to lie about the scenario to make it news worthy. Nobody is going to talk about a report that the Browns "made a lame trade offer to the 49ers for one of the best coaches in the NFL, but the 49ers politely declined."

Even still, Jim Harbaugh has used a crappy, joke of an organization to gain leverage on his contract negotiations before (Miami). Theres no way he was actually going to coach either of those dumpster fires.

Honestly, if I owned the 49ers, id give Harbaugh what he wants. His contract doesnt count towards the cap, and were completely SCREWED without him. Theres no possible way were going to improve at HC in any scenario where he leaves. Give him 10+ mil a year. Give him as many years as he wants to stay.

But the number 1 reason I believe this report is BS? Jed York has to open his brand new stadium next year, and sell tons of expensive seats. Giving our elite coach the boot to start off this next era of 49ers football would be a fantastic way to kill any momentum heading into 2014. Fans would riot. Jed is a smart guy. Thats a move his dad wouldve made, not him.

And in the end the leverage did not work. Jed and Marathe did not increase the ammount of money they were willing to give Harbaugh.

Jeff Ireland offered harbaug significantly more money, yet the niners stayed cool.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
And in the end the leverage did not work. Jed and Marathe did not increase the ammount of money they were willing to give Harbaugh.

Jeff Ireland offered harbaug significantly more money, yet the niners stayed cool.
Folk here are not understanding how smart and calculated Jed and Marathe have been. The structure is appropriate. Owners hire GM and the GM hires the coach. Then together they must win. Why would Baalke foolishly trade his coach away for any amount of picks without having an A lister to replace him with. They lose and then Baalke is out. Makes no sense with what Jed has built the last few years. Sounds like someone stretched this story like I stretched the latex! We should be focused on draft and free agency right now. Sounds like someone is hating us majorly. Trying to be a distraction during a very important time of the off season for us. I hope we keep our heads down and make it happen this summer
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Folk here are not understanding how smart and calculated Jed and Marathe have been. The structure is appropriate. Owners hire GM and the GM hires the coach. Then together they must win. Why would Baalke foolishly trade his coach away for any amount of picks without having an A lister to replace him with. They lose and then Baalke is out. Makes no sense with what Jed has built the last few years. Sounds like someone stretched this story like I stretched the latex! We should be focused on draft and free agency right now. Sounds like someone is hating us majorly. Trying to be a distraction during a very important time of the off season for us. I hope we keep our heads down and make it happen this summer
This all popped off when Florio guessed on 95.7 The Game with Bucher and Towny, and these two fools kept pressing the issue calling out the Niners demanding Sh*t, Bucher sounded like an Ex wife asking for money. SMH

• titan
  • Veteran
Everyone wanted Harbaugh that was not a secret. If the Browns did propose an offer and the management thought about it, so what! It didn't happen. They know having a proven coach vs 2 potential busted draft picks and getting a unsuccessful replacement is much more important with the state and structure of our team right now.
You all can call it BS etc, but I'm quite sure there is a little truth behind it all, and some good substance. Now Mort is going back on what he said yesterday am when he said it was just a matter of his name being brought up, now he's saying there was actual substance to this?? HOW COME WE HAVEN"T GONE TO THE PRESS DENYING THIS REPORT????????? Twitter does not count.

I can see why Cleveland would make some sense because it's in the midwest, same division as his brother. He's a midwest guy. But they have no talent which leads me to believe this story is poop. but the fact that we haven't locked coach up makes me to believe this rumor has substance.

If the niners win the super bowl, i'd bet good money Harbs leaves. Michigan job i'm sure would be made available. Harbaugh wants more say in the drafting which has been leaked out now for 2 years. Baalke is a very cocky guy from what I have heard. Those two can't coexist. Especially with regards to drafting, but how do we know that in full. maybe they can set aside their egos.

You all mention why would we trade the coach foolishly without no one in line. I'm quite sure there is an assistant on this team that could coach us for a year...which makes me sick to think who that coach would be... plus let's say we got all clevelands first 3 rds picks this year, and their first next year or whatever, wouldn't you be tempted to do it?? Helloooooo. with the amount of talent on this team we could easily lure a top flight coach.

Of course the niners are going to deny this report. they won't even entertain the thought of talking about it. they don't want the team to go in disarray, and start questioning among themselves. so we will never hear the truth from the niners side.

Niners now need to get an extension done. if they can not then this rumor will have some very valid truth to it.
Originally posted by wailers15:
You all can call it BS etc, but I'm quite sure there is a little truth behind it all, and some good substance. Now Mort is going back on what he said yesterday am when he said it was just a matter of his name being brought up, now he's saying there was actual substance to this?? HOW COME WE HAVEN"T GONE TO THE PRESS DENYING THIS REPORT????????? Twitter does not count.

I can see why Cleveland would make some sense because it's in the midwest, same division as his brother. He's a midwest guy. But they have no talent which leads me to believe this story is poop. but the fact that we haven't locked coach up makes me to believe this rumor has substance.

If the niners win the super bowl, i'd bet good money Harbs leaves. Michigan job i'm sure would be made available. Harbaugh wants more say in the drafting which has been leaked out now for 2 years. Baalke is a very cocky guy from what I have heard. Those two can't coexist. Especially with regards to drafting, but how do we know that in full. maybe they can set aside their egos.

You all mention why would we trade the coach foolishly without no one in line. I'm quite sure there is an assistant on this team that could coach us for a year...which makes me sick to think who that coach would be... plus let's say we got all clevelands first 3 rds picks this year, and their first next year or whatever, wouldn't you be tempted to do it?? Helloooooo. with the amount of talent on this team we could easily lure a top flight coach.

Of course the niners are going to deny this report. they won't even entertain the thought of talking about it. they don't want the team to go in disarray, and start questioning among themselves. so we will never hear the truth from the niners side.

Niners now need to get an extension done. if they can not then this rumor will have some very valid truth to it.

How do you know we've heard the truth from any side? As I posted previously, this smells of Lombardi and Banner trying to regain some face, making it sound like they had Harbaugh on board until he either changed his mind or the 49ers demanded far too much in return. Based on the timeline of events, there's plenty good reason for them to be lying out their asses. 49ers got knocked out of the playoffs by Seattle on the 19th of January. On the 22nd of January the Browns interviewed Schiano, on the 23rd they hired Pettine.

So literally there was like 2 days for these "serious discussions" to develop which I think is BS. Adam Schefter said people in the Browns organization told him around that time that there had been discussions internally about trading for a coach like Harbaugh but they weren't sure if it could even legally be done so it never progressed very far.

The storyline that is being pushed by Banner and Lombardi's man-servant in Cleveland is that Harbaugh approached the Browns, wanted to be traded, he wanted to work with Banner and Lombardi, loved the Browns roster/cap/draft situation and wanted out of San Francisco. It was a done deal but the 49ers demanded too much compensation and the Browns backed off. This allows Banner and Lombardi to look like they went out and got the big-time head coach, but logistics prevented it from happening, not that they are both jackasses and thus scared off a lot of the top coaching candidates out there.

I have no doubt that the Browns contacted the 49ers about Harbaugh at some point. I also feel pretty strongly that the 49ers told them to pound rocks or give them their whole 2014 and 2015 drafts as compensation and the Browns said f**k that.

At some point, the 49ers and Harbaugh will reach a new extension that will be fair for all parties involved. Harbaugh will get a pay bump and long-term job security, the 49ers will get to retain a premium coach that has them back up near the top of the NFL once more. The notion that the 49ers have to rush to get it done is kind of obtuse though. They'll do it on their own timeline, not the media's or the fan's or anyone else's for that matter.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2014 at 6:57 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Schefty now confirming discussions for compensation did take place. Come on Jed
My personal guess is the Browns probably calling and asking about some of the 9ers coaches figured they would feel the 9ers out regarding Harbaugh. The 9ers knowing contract extension talks haven't been going smoothly probably figured they would at least listen to what the Browns had to say. I mean if the Browns blow you away with an offer and you don't have a lot of confidence in extending Harbaugh why not listen? The Browns weren't going to blow away the 9ers with an offer so the talks didn't go anywhere and were done fast.

The Browns never really denied the story since they took a beating from fans and the media over their head coaching search so it looked good that they were in pursuit of a top tier coach.

That makes the the most likely leaker of the story since the 9er side was quick to deny it strongly and the reason the story has multiple versions to it.

It's like they leaked the 1st version and said:

"You know having Harbaugh nixing the deal makes it looks like he didn't want to come to Cleveland so let's leak that it was his wife that didn't want to come since Harbaugh is on record saying "Happy wife. Happy Life.""

"Better yet lets leak the Harbaugh initiated the talks and wanted to come to Cleveland but the deal fell through because of draft compensation so it makes it look like Harbaugh wanted to come but we weren't going to get screwed by the 9ers in a trade to bring him over here."
Share 49ersWebzone