There are 162 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
we won loads of big games this season and last, yes we came up short both years but we showed progress in both seasons.
Originally posted by babarvaart:
we won loads of big games this season and last, yes we came up short both years but we showed progress in both seasons.

But the ones at the very end of the season matter the most. Those are the biggest ones.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I hear you, but I just don't believe you can discount the fact he improved from year one to two. Harbs will get us one, don't worry.
Originally posted by fropwns:
I hear you, but I just don't believe you can discount the fact he improved from year one to two. Harbs will get us one, don't worry.

Yes he did improve. But the unprepared, slow start to the Super Bowl concerns me. 6 - 28. They are not that much better than us. There was no reason for us to be that unhinged early in the game. How can you not be ready for the Super Bowl? It's the biggest game of your life.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Second season and 2 years in a row we were 1 play away from beating the champion and winning the super bowl. I would say Jim is on pace to do a great job here. John just got lucky this year.

I'm not saying he is doing bad. He's good. But the big games he seems to fall apart. Or at least his teams do so far.

This thread of logic only works if he continues to do so. In two seasons in the NFL as a head coach, he has been to the NFC championship (1-1 record) and to the Super Bowl (0-1). If we had lost the NFC Championship this year, I think your case is a bit stronger. However, we didn't. We went to the Super Bowl. It should be remembered that in the playoffs, every game is BIG. If anything, Harbs has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Second season and 2 years in a row we were 1 play away from beating the champion and winning the super bowl. I would say Jim is on pace to do a great job here. John just got lucky this year.

I'm not saying he is doing bad. He's good. But the big games he seems to fall apart. Or at least his teams do so far.

This thread of logic only works if he continues to do so. In two seasons in the NFL as a head coach, he has been to the NFC championship (1-1 record) and to the Super Bowl (0-1). If we had lost the NFC Championship this year, I think your case is a bit stronger. However, we didn't. We went to the Super Bowl. It should be remembered that in the playoffs, every game is BIG. If anything, Harbs has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Third times a charm. If we get one trophy in the next ten then harbs is our annointed god. We were praying to make the pkayoffs and he got us to the bowl. In my eyes he can do no wrong. We got a snarling hell hound for a coach and i love him.
I'm just glad that we're finally in big games again.

But also, his players are not executing. The Superbowl rests on the players, not the coach....
....I dont normally engage in the emoti's...but this so encompases my feelings about this thread...it expresses how I feel more strongly than words ever could.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Third times a charm. If we get one trophy in the next ten then harbs is our annointed god. We were praying to make the pkayoffs and he got us to the bowl. In my eyes he can do no wrong. We got a snarling hell hound for a coach and i love him.

Clearly he is far superior to the trash we had around here for years and years. No real complaints. It's just getting over the hump which we all really want to see someday.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I'm just glad that we're finally in big games again.

But also, his players are not executing. The Superbowl rests on the players, not the coach....

Maybe so. But it's the coaches responsibility to have them prepared to execute properly.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Yes he did improve. But the unprepared, slow start to the Super Bowl concerns me. 6 - 28. They are not that much better than us. There was no reason for us to be that unhinged early in the game. How can you not be ready for the Super Bowl? It's the biggest game of your life.
Why do people fail the Bar exam? Why does it take multiple conferences to select a Pope? Why did it take Ford so long to bring back the beloved 5.0 Engine? Why is it that Pam Anderson just won't stop banging Rock Stars? Why is it that Jordan failed, repeatedly, against the Pistons, but finally broke through later? Why does a student that studies 150 hours prior to the biggest standardized test of their life bomb the MCAT? But the next time they take it, destroy the thing? Why is it that Kirk left the shields down against the USS Reliant? Why is it, right now, as I sit at the airport, over an hour and half early for my flight, that nobody is boarding the flight ahead of me for LA (ultimately Japan)?

I think you are looking at the problem to simplistically. The fact is, nobody, coaches, presidents, generals, professors, or others in positions of authority control everything. To believe that is true is to assume a level of power that no man possesses. There is no doubt the Niners stumbled out of the gate during the Super Bowl. And Harbs deserves a good measure of the blame, but there was more to the failure than him.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Good question! I was wondering the same thing because even when he played for the Colts he only made it to the AFC Championship and could never win the big game. I mean, there's no question that we ALL love him and he's a great coach considering what we had in the previous 10 years.

My concern is, do we have a a Bill Walsh as our HC or do we just have another Marv Levy/Marty Schottenheimer? (<-- however spelled)

My goodness, how can this even be a serious question?
This is silly talk.
Originally posted by Chico:
Good question! I was wondering the same thing because even when he played for the Colts he only made it to the AFC Championship and could never win the big game. I mean, there's no question that we ALL love him and he's a great coach considering what we had in the previous 10 years.

My concern is, do we have a a Bill Walsh as our HC or do we just have another Marv Levy/Marty Schottenheimer? (<-- however spelled)

It's looking a lot like Marv Levy at this point.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
In his first year we made it to the NFCCG. In his second year we made it to the superbowl. Yes we lost both but it was progress from one year to another. Before Harbaugh we would have just been excited to be above .500. Lets not question his ability to win big games because he can. As another poster said...in the playoffs, every game is BIG. Lets not forget, Roman and Fangio call plays majority of the time so it doesn't always fall on Harbaughs shoulders even as the HC.
Share 49ersWebzone