There are 174 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Great Harbaugh thanks for leaving Smith in there in a blowout to injure a finger on the throwing hand. Real bonehead move there Jimmy. Great coach, bonehead moves sometimes.

If you disagree with a coaching decision, do it with more respect or at least, in a less inflammatory fashion.

The more I think of the QB move the more I believe it was part of multi part plan. 1) Get Kaep in there and show everyone why he was drafted and begin his era 2) What a better time to sit Alex, he was playing his best football and wasn't given the opportunity to shoot himself in the foot thus leading to getting nothing in return. Now we sit with multiple picks including an early second rounder. I cant help to think his benching was part of a bigger picture...

Ur over thinking.
could be, it could have ended with what he said that he was going with the qb that gave us the best chance to win.....
Has anyone interviewed JH on the trade yet?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Has anyone interviewed JH on the trade yet?

no its not official til mar 12th
Great Harbaugh thanks for leaving Smith in there in a blowout to injure a finger on the throwing hand. Real bonehead move there Jimmy. Great coach, bonehead moves sometimes.

If you disagree with a coaching decision, do it with more respect or at least, in a less inflammatory fashion.

The more I think of the QB move the more I believe it was part of multi part plan. 1) Get Kaep in there and show everyone why he was drafted and begin his era 2) What a better time to sit Alex, he was playing his best football and wasn't given the opportunity to shoot himself in the foot thus leading to getting nothing in return. Now we sit with multiple picks including an early second rounder. I cant help to think his benching was part of a bigger picture...

Ur over thinking.
could be, it could have ended with what he said that he was going with the qb that gave us the best chance to win.....

actually a few analysts and beat writers were talking about that also, how at the level Alexs game was, his injury was the best time to replace him with our future QB. After the first game they chirped a little more about how it benefitted the whole team even it we didnt make it past round 1 of the playoffs, because now we have our young Franchise QB, Alex will be wanted, and we will benefit from how much he is wanted in return. It really was a win, win, win situation. Harbaugh is no fool, he knew who he wanted as our QB, he knew alex would be worth something to another team, and he didn't let Alex screw himself or Harbaugh and the 49ers over by making any mistakes in games.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Ur over thinking.

actually a few analysts and beat writers were talking about that also, how at the level Alexs game was, his injury was the best time to replace him with our future QB. After the first game they chirped a little more about how it benefitted the whole team even it we didnt make it past round 1 of the playoffs, because now we have our young Franchise QB, Alex will be wanted, and we will benefit from how much he is wanted in return. It really was a win, win, win situation. Harbaugh is no fool, he knew who he wanted as our QB, he knew alex would be worth something to another team, and he didn't let Alex screw himself or Harbaugh and the 49ers over by making any mistakes in games.

That may be but I think it is reading far more into it than could have been known at the time. It has certainly worked out that way but I don't think there was a Grand Plan.

That having been said, I believe JH would have had to run Kaepernick out for some games even if Alex had not been injured. You just can't invest a high pick like that and go into the 3rd year still not knowing for sure if he is the real deal. In this case, Harbaugh got lucky. If Alex had continued to play well and JH put Kaep in, it would have been a much bigger stink than it was. Smith's injury made it a much better deal all the way around.
Originally posted by dj43:
That may be but I think it is reading far more into it than could have been known at the time. It has certainly worked out that way but I don't think there was a Grand Plan.

That having been said, I believe JH would have had to run Kaepernick out for some games even if Alex had not been injured. You just can't invest a high pick like that and go into the 3rd year still not knowing for sure if he is the real deal. In this case, Harbaugh got lucky. If Alex had continued to play well and JH put Kaep in, it would have been a much bigger stink than it was. Smith's injury made it a much better deal all the way around.

I dont think there was really any grand plan until after Smiths injury and Harbaugh could see how Kaep performed in front of an audience. Once Kaep met the expectations all that was left was to keep Smith from shooting himself in the foot.
1) Going back to his college days he was routinely in the national championship hunt. And almost as routinely they would melt down against Oregon. Oregon was the big game they had to win but usually never did.

2) 2011 - 2012 season the 49ers have the NFC Championship game at home. They have a lead in the 4th quarter on their way to the Super Bowl. They come completely unhinged, fumble punts all over the place and lose the lead in the 4th and lose the game in OT. Mental errors are their downfall.

3) 2012 - 2103 49ers make it to the Super Bowl. They come out completely out of sorts and totally unprepared for the biggest game of their lives. They dig themselves a 6 - 28 deficit. The power goes out which causes a long delay. They dig their way almost all they way back. 2nd and goal at the 5 yard line and we call fade pass after fade pass to Crabtree in the closing minute. All incomplete and we lose the Super Bowl. The unprepared aspect at the beginning and the questionable calls at the end. The team didn't seem prepared.

You could argue the USC games in college. But IMO USC had already started their decline by that time and weren't as dominant. The "Big Game" in college in his conference would have been Oregon which he rarely won.

Harbaugh is no doubt better than we had. But can he win the BIG GAME under intense pressure?
He did beat win the national championship, did you forget who he beat for that... Second in his first season with a qb everyone thought blew he made the Nfc Championship, yeah it was jim's fault for calling a punt return and fumbling the ball twice, should have gone for the punt block lol. Second year with a second year qb who now has offically 10 starts he made it to the superbowl and was a touchdown away. Looks to me that he's getting the most out of his players, also he seems his teams improve every year, so if anything we win the superbowl next year.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
He did beat win the national championship, did you forget who he beat for that... Second in his first season with a qb everyone thought blew he made the Nfc Championship, yeah it was jim's fault for calling a punt return and fumbling the ball twice, should have gone for the punt block lol. Second year with a second year qb who now has offically 10 starts he made it to the superbowl and was a touchdown away. Looks to me that he's getting the most out of his players, also he seems his teams improve every year, so if anything we win the superbowl next year.

"He did beat win the national championship."....
Second season and 2 years in a row we were 1 play away from beating the champion and winning the super bowl. I would say Jim is on pace to do a great job here. John just got lucky this year.

Welcome to niner talk
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Second season and 2 years in a row we were 1 play away from beating the champion and winning the super bowl. I would say Jim is on pace to do a great job here. John just got lucky this year.

I'm not saying he is doing bad. He's good. But the big games he seems to fall apart. Or at least his teams do so far.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I'm not saying he is doing bad. He's good. But the big games he seems to fall apart. Or at least his teams do so far.

This thread of logic only works if he continues to do so. In two seasons in the NFL as a head coach, he has been to the NFC championship (1-1 record) and to the Super Bowl (0-1). If we had lost the NFC Championship this year, I think your case is a bit stronger. However, we didn't. We went to the Super Bowl. It should be remembered that in the playoffs, every game is BIG. If anything, Harbs has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes.
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:23 AM ]
Already doubting the man? Oh boy...
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This thread of logic only works if he continues to do so. In two seasons in the NFL as a head coach, he has been to the NFC championship (1-1 record) and to the Super Bowl (0-1). If we had lost the NFC Championship this year, I think your case is a bit stronger. However, we didn't. We went to the Super Bowl. It should be remembered that in the playoffs, every game is BIG. If anything, Harbs has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Perhaps so. But he did it 2 years in a row IMO. And he did it previous to that in college. People forget how many times he blew great seasons losing to Oregon. The 6 - 28 start to the Super Bowl. It's like they weren't even prepared or ready. Just a horrible start to the most important game of their lives.
Share 49ersWebzone