Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I said it, and none of the haters wanted to hear it...

Maiocco says it and they don't wanna read it.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners.html?full_args=02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners&blockID=414844&feedID=5936

Not saying Alex is the solution, but you don't need to recreate history because you don't like the guy. There's a word for that....fiction.

What are you trying to prove with this article? All it shows me is that Alex lost 3 competitions to journeymen QBs...

Interesting...I got something totally different from that...

Perspective. I honestly don't know anything positive about Alex that you could take away from that article. I'm being serious, not a hater. No such thing as being a hater when it comes to sports. Usually, people hate on good players, like Lebron or Kobe. No one hates the bad ones, they just point out that they suck. Big difference bro

See, and that is our difference. I don't think he flat out sucks. I think he's middle of the road and people are expecting Joe Montana or bust. Given that kind of expectation, yeah he sucks. He didn't lose his job in competition..he was injured each time someone else took the starting position other than Rattay and Smith (the 2nd time around). But let me be very clear in saying that doesn't mean I believe he's good...We could have a whole lot worse...and have.

I want Baalke to bring in more talent at Qb and I want to see if Harbaugh can make something out of Alex after all this time. If he can't, we should have more talent in the lists so to speak.

How is he middle of the road when his numbers are near the bottom every season? Alex is a lower tier QB. His stats show that. As far as everyone expecting Montana or bust? No. That's ridiculous. People just want a competent QB. I don't think he flat out sucks, I just think he's a mediocre QB.

And yes, he has lost his job in competition.

according to football-reference he was just about as close to average as you can get statistically last year. Here is the link.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

it is advanced passing stats... so at least according to that statistical measurement he is basically the most average QB in the league

Sorry, I'm going to look at the following stats:

QB Rating (21st)
TD (24th)
Yards/Game (22nd)
Comp% (22nd)

This is average?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners.html?full_args=02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners&blockID=414844&feedID=5936

Not saying Alex is the solution, but you don't need to recreate history because you don't like the guy. There's a word for that....fiction.

What are you trying to prove with this article? All it shows me is that Alex lost 3 competitions to journeymen QBs...

Perspective. I honestly don't know anything positive about Alex that you could take away from that article. I'm being serious, not a hater. No such thing as being a hater when it comes to sports. Usually, people hate on good players, like Lebron or Kobe. No one hates the bad ones, they just point out that they suck. Big difference bro

See, and that is our difference. I don't think he flat out sucks. I think he's middle of the road and people are expecting Joe Montana or bust. Given that kind of expectation, yeah he sucks. He didn't lose his job in competition..he was injured each time someone else took the starting position other than Rattay and Smith (the 2nd time around). But let me be very clear in saying that doesn't mean I believe he's good...We could have a whole lot worse...and have.

I want Baalke to bring in more talent at Qb and I want to see if Harbaugh can make something out of Alex after all this time. If he can't, we should have more talent in the lists so to speak.

How is he middle of the road when his numbers are near the bottom every season? Alex is a lower tier QB. His stats show that. As far as everyone expecting Montana or bust? No. That's ridiculous. People just want a competent QB. I don't think he flat out sucks, I just think he's a mediocre QB.

according to football-reference he was just about as close to average as you can get statistically last year. Here is the link.

it is advanced passing stats... so at least according to that statistical measurement he is basically the most average QB in the league

QB Rating (21st)
TD (24th)
Yards/Game (22nd)
Comp% (22nd)

This is average?

u do know he didnt play for like 5 games right
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

QB Rating (21st)
TD (24th)
Yards/Game (22nd)
Comp% (22nd)

This is average?

OK, so what do you have to say for the QB Rating, Yards/gm and Comp%????

He is a lower tier QB and the stats support that.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

QB Rating (21st)
TD (24th)
Yards/Game (22nd)
Comp% (22nd)

This is average?

OK, so what do you have to say for the QB Rating, Yards/gm and Comp%????

I think the advanced stats are better because they take more into account. If we use your stats (excluding TD's obviously since he missed 6 games I believe) then I guess you could call him a bottom third player, but he is twice as close to the median as he is to the worst.

In statistics it is much better to find the average QB rating (which is about 85 if you take the top 31) That means he is 3 points off of the average rating. So really he is slightly below the average when only counting QB's who played enough to be counted.

I assume that the other numbers (comp% etc) would show similar results. At that point you have to take in to account the players around a QB and other factors. It becomes almost impossible to come up with an actual value number for performance that really works. I would have to say that Smith's value would most likely increase given his poor line play and other factors, but who can be sure.?

I stand by my assertion that he was very close to an average QB last year statistically.
Only with Alex Smith are the stats on NFL.com not a good enough indicator of his play. We must look at "advanced stats" and consider how poor his entire team is. I'm done.
Only with Alex Smith are the stats on NFL.com not a good enough indicator of his play. We must look at "advanced stats" and consider how poor his entire team is. I'm done.

It isn't just Alex Smith. Those stats are valuable for many players. It is that same thing with NBA players. The Advanced stats in the NBA are really popular these days because they are a better measurement of what is actually happening. For instance, they show that Montae Ellis is a horrible basketball player that hurts his team. If you just look at Ellis's PPG average, then some might think that he is a great player.

Think of it this way. We have been using the same stats for what 50 years? There have been other advances in the game and in technology, so why not improve/advance the way we look at statistics as a measurement of performance?

Maybe I am just a nerd, but I find advanced stats to be fun and enlightening. Of course many on NT are from the "the only stat that matters is a win" crowd, so I get it. Of course those types of fans are also the ones whose knowledge of the game is so shallow that they don't understand why teammates affect performance.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM ]

Stats, rats! The only stat that matters in the NFL is win/loss and in that category my friend he is hot garbage.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Stats, rats! The only stat that matters in the NFL is win/loss and in that category my friend he is hot garbage.

So is Vernon Davis...and Patrick Willis...by that same logic, let's trade those losers!!!

Better still...

Our offense was a run first team last year right? So the Running Back is the most important position...

Franky...you gotta go!!!
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM ]

So is Vernon Davis...and Patrick Willis...by that same logic, let's trade those losers!!!

Better still...

Our offense was a run first team last year right? So the Running Back is the most important position...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Lol I guess Chris Johnson, Nnamdi Asamdsfkaa, Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, MJD, Calvin Johnson, Cameron Wake, Arian Foster etc. are all hot garbage
Originally posted by WildBill:
Tim Kawakami's job is to stir up controversy so that people read him. He is like any good reporter supposed to dig for the truth and not be a homer, so I don't mind him. If you don't like what a reporter says just don't read his articles. Now that I made my relevant posts regarding the original nature of this post I will digress, since everyone else is...

Alex Smith is Ryan Leaf and Aaron Rodgers is Peyton Manning. Why? Not so much that he has Peyton's stats...yet, but because Rodgers was thought of as more NFL ready at the time Like Peyton and Ryan had more upside like Alex. Well we now know how that turned out in both cases.

People who are in denial and keep saying people who don't like Alex are running out of steam and have no facts. Well read Matt Maiocco on Smith and Competition, he lost every competition, oh and the injury he suffered during the comp with JTO, well he lost that comp. before his injury. If you say Harbaugh will fix his mechanics. Hello, Martz, Turner and McCarthy are all superbowl winning QB coaches and coodinators, if he hasn't learned how to fix his mechanics by now, he never will.

The only argument is that Harbaugh will be a better head coach and not be so obvious in how the offense executes which may make like Alex is a better QB. However I give you the Ravens and Dilfer as an example. This however does not make Alex a good or great QB candidate now or the future. as for the argument that all great QBs make mistakes, yes that is true, but not to the extent that Alex does. Yes I have watched the games on TV or listened to the radio. Those who use the last game for stats-who was this against now? Did the game mean anything to either of the team? No. How about his QB pass rating you ask in the last seven games. Well lets look at that, it is tempered with great ratings against sub par teams and poor ratings against above par teams. Yes the schemes suck, but still he should hit the WR more than he did. He is inconsistent when the team needs him to carry the team.

I see it for what it is-due to the CBA, it limited the options, Smith may be a stop gap measure as we develope our QB of the future. You guys-both sides want to know if Harbaugh is serious about Smith? Watch and see what kind of contract the team offers him. Less than three years, Harbaugh is not serious in his public assessment and just covering his ass as this will make turning the reins over to the true successor easier. Think of it as regent filling in till the emperor has grown up. Alex Smith will never be the emperor. If the contract is 4 years then Harbaugh is serious in his assessment.

Either way, I am not a pro, non the less I stand by my own beliefs Alex Smith is not a good or great QB, never will be and that is what I want for the Niners, a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, Montana or Young. Notice not all the QBs are 1rst round picks.

Damn!

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Lol I guess Chris Johnson, Nnamdi Asamdsfkaa, Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, MJD, Calvin Johnson, Cameron Wake, Arian Foster etc. are all hot garbage

QB is the most important position on the field.

You ever wonder why Elway gets praised for his 4th quarter comebacks? I mean, there were 10 other players on the field. Would you not say the coach or team should get praise for this stat? They don't. If the team loses and the QB did not play well, guess who gets the blame? The QB. Who was to blame for Pittsburgh losing this past SuperBowl? Roethelesberger.

I know it hurts, but the QB is and will always be the most important person on the field...he will get praised for winning and bashed for losing. Funny how people call QB's "winners"....."oh, he's a winner"....but they don't say the same for RB's, WR's, etc...

It's a team sport, but you have to be dumb as hell if you don't think the QB is far and away the most important player on the team and is more responsible than anyone else for the success of the team. QB is the heart of a team.

Find me a team that has won consistently with a poor QB. Yea, the Ravens won with Dilfer for one year, then struggled to find a starting QB for almost 10 years.

Alex is not the guy.
[ Edited by JayBee on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM ]

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

You ever wonder why Elway gets praised for his 4th quarter comebacks? I mean, there were 10 other players on the field. Would you not say the coach or team should get praise for this stat? They don't. If the team loses and the QB did not play well, guess who gets the blame? The QB. Who was to blame for Pittsburgh losing this past SuperBowl? Pittsburgh.

I know it hurts, but the QB is and will always be the most important person on the field...he will get praised for winning and bashed for losing. Funny how people call QB's "winners"....."oh, he's a winner"....but they don't say the same for RB's, WR's, etc...

It's a team sport, but you have to be dumb as hell if you don't think the QB is far and away the most important player on the team and is more responsible than anyone else for the success of the team. QB is the heart of a team.

Find me a team that has won consistently with a poor QB. Yea, the Ravens won with Dilfer for one year, then struggled to find a starting QB for almost 10 years.

Alex is not the guy.

Well said man. These people act like QB isn't the most important position in ALL of sports. They probably have the same mentality as Sing.

I guess all you need to do is plug in any scrub at QB and put talent around him and you will go to the SuperBowl. I mean, all you need is good coaching, good OL play, and good recievers, right? I mean, it worked for the Cardinals right after Warner left and they put in Anderson, right? It worked for the Vikings this past year, right? The only reason favre had a drop-off in play was b/c of the people around him, not b/c he was too old or b/c he lost it. QB doesn't matter. Waste of a position. We should start using our punters and kickers as QBs so we could actually use that roster spot for a player who actually contributes.

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

You ever wonder why Elway gets praised for his 4th quarter comebacks? I mean, there were 10 other players on the field. Would you not say the coach or team should get praise for this stat? They don't. If the team loses and the QB did not play well, guess who gets the blame? The QB. Who was to blame for Pittsburgh losing this past SuperBowl? Pittsburgh.

Alex is not the guy.

Well said man. These people act like QB isn't the most important position in ALL of sports. They probably have the same mentality as Sing.

I guess all you need to do is plug in any scrub at QB and put talent around him and you will go to the SuperBowl. I mean, all you need is good coaching, good OL play, and good recievers, right? I mean, it worked for the Cardinals right after Warner left and they put in Anderson, right? It worked for the Vikings this past year, right? The only reason favre had a drop-off in play was b/c of the people around him, not b/c he was too old or b/c he lost it. QB doesn't matter. Waste of a position. We should start using our punters and kickers as QBs so we could actually use that roster spot for a player who actually contributes.

Yea... Arizona and Minny are perfect examples of what poor QB'ing will do to your team.

I remember the Favre apologists last year. "His best receiver is Bernard Berrian". "The receivers are the reason why he stinks". Sound familiar? Well Percy Harvin came back, even got Randy Moss....and Favre was still throwing picks. Funny how crappy Randy looked the minute he had a poor QB or was phased out of the offense (NE). But people here still think the receiver makes the QB and not vice versa.

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Yea... Arizona and Minny are perfect examples of what poor QB'ing will do to your team.

I remember the Favre apologists last year. "His best receiver is Bernard Berrian". "The receivers are the reason why he stinks". Sound familiar? Well Percy Harvin came back, even got Randy Moss....and Favre was still throwing picks. Funny how crappy Randy looked the minute he had a poor QB or was phased out of the offense (NE). But people here still think the receiver makes the QB and not vice versa.

Yeah. I wonder whether anyone actually has stopped and pondered this: Maybe it's not our receivers making the QB look bad, but the other way around.

WOW! That actually makes a lot of sense and is a possible situation here in Ninerland.

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Yeah. I wonder whether anyone actually has stopped and pondered this: Maybe it's not our receivers making the QB look bad, but the other way around.

WOW! That actually makes a lot of sense and is a possible situation here in Ninerland.

You don't think it's funny that only Alex gets the "crappy receivers" excuse but JT O'Sullivan, Troy Smith and Shaun Hill...don't?
Share 49ersWebzone