LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami's interview with 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I said it, and none of the haters wanted to hear it...

Maiocco says it and they don't wanna read it.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners.html?full_args=02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners&blockID=414844&feedID=5936

Not saying Alex is the solution, but you don't need to recreate history because you don't like the guy. There's a word for that....fiction.

What are you trying to prove with this article? All it shows me is that Alex lost 3 competitions to journeymen QBs...

Interesting...I got something totally different from that...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners.html?full_args=02/21/11/How-Smith-has-fared-in-49ers-QB-competit/landing_niners&blockID=414844&feedID=5936

Not saying Alex is the solution, but you don't need to recreate history because you don't like the guy. There's a word for that....fiction.

What are you trying to prove with this article? All it shows me is that Alex lost 3 competitions to journeymen QBs...

Perspective. I honestly don't know anything positive about Alex that you could take away from that article. I'm being serious, not a hater. No such thing as being a hater when it comes to sports. Usually, people hate on good players, like Lebron or Kobe. No one hates the bad ones, they just point out that they suck. Big difference bro
Lol, I don't get it. Smith has an abundant amount of excuses made for him, but when Hill has a bad game or two, it was always the 'defenses figured him out'

So defenses haven't figured Smith out? Pressure him and force him to roll out to the right and he will throw it away. Sounds like a plan to me.

This is so laughable. Smith has a bad game, and its either the team sucks, the cheerleaders weren't exposing as much cleavage, the fans, the playcalling, the boos, Sing, Raye, etc.

But didn't Hill have the same playcalling from Raye during the Falcons games? Or is that excuse only valid when Smith is in the game?

Every one of his shortcomings can be "excused" by some extraneous factor. Alex Smith is really this pro-bowl QB just being held back by circumstance, didn't you know?
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Lol, I don't get it. Smith has an abundant amount of excuses made for him, but when Hill has a bad game or two, it was always the 'defenses figured him out'

So defenses haven't figured Smith out? Pressure him and force him to roll out to the right and he will throw it away. Sounds like a plan to me.

This is so laughable. Smith has a bad game, and its either the team sucks, the cheerleaders weren't exposing as much cleavage, the fans, the playcalling, the boos, Sing, Raye, etc.

But didn't Hill have the same playcalling from Raye during the Falcons games? Or is that excuse only valid when Smith is in the game?

Every one of his shortcomings can be "excused" by some extraneous factor. Alex Smith is really this pro-bowl QB just being held back by circumstance, didn't you know?

Yeah, dude you're right man. There's just been this crazy conspiracy created by the entire football world to make him look bad. f**k dude. Doesn't stop you and I from realizing his true greatness, right?

Perspective. I honestly don't know anything positive about Alex that you could take away from that article. I'm being serious, not a hater. No such thing as being a hater when it comes to sports. Usually, people hate on good players, like Lebron or Kobe. No one hates the bad ones, they just point out that they suck. Big difference bro

See, and that is our difference. I don't think he flat out sucks. I think he's middle of the road and people are expecting Joe Montana or bust. Given that kind of expectation, yeah he sucks. He didn't lose his job in competition..he was injured each time someone else took the starting position other than Rattay and Smith (the 2nd time around). But let me be very clear in saying that doesn't mean I believe he's good...We could have a whole lot worse...and have.

I want Baalke to bring in more talent at Qb and I want to see if Harbaugh can make something out of Alex after all this time. If he can't, we should have more talent in the lists so to speak.

See, and that is our difference. I don't think he flat out sucks. I think he's middle of the road and people are expecting Joe Montana or bust. Given that kind of expectation, yeah he sucks. He didn't lose his job in competition..he was injured each time someone else took the starting position other than Rattay and Smith (the 2nd time around). But let me be very clear in saying that doesn't mean I believe he's good...We could have a whole lot worse...and have.

I want Baalke to bring in more talent at Qb and I want to see if Harbaugh can make something out of Alex after all this time. If he can't, we should have more talent in the lists so to speak.

How is he middle of the road when his numbers are near the bottom every season? Alex is a lower tier QB. His stats show that. As far as everyone expecting Montana or bust? No. That's ridiculous. People just want a competent QB. I don't think he flat out sucks, I just think he's a mediocre QB.

And yes, he has lost his job in competition.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
hmmm....

I dont Smith has ever won a QB competition....^

He's lost to Rattay, JTO and Shaun Hill.

Actually he beat all those guys out. He's the starter and they aren't around anymore.

Starter only because of the financial investment the team made him, not because of his own merit.

We can only guess that the "investment" was the reason. Besides, Smith agreed to cut his salary and he still started.

Yeah, after losing the comp to Hill.

In reality, and this has been verified by Matt today, Smith really didn't lose that competition. Hill was going in to the season as the no.1 and Smith had to un-seat him in order to take it. Hill and Smith both played about the same in pre-season and then Smith got hurt in the third pre-season game (I believe.. maybe it was the second). At that point it was over. There was no reason to continue the competition, as Smith wouldn't be back until the season started.

This is typical. You guys look at a situation in such black and white terms that it doesn't matter to you what vital facts led to certain events. It makes you sound really ignorant.

The fact of the matter is that Hill wasn't getting it done, and was beaten out by Smith who came in and played much better during the latter portion of that season. Hill was severely limited, and once teams keyed in on that he was extremely ineffective.

You guys can spin all this any way you want, but you are blinded by frustration about the team that you are placing on A. Smith.

The reality is that Harbaugh thinks Smith can be a good QB. He is echoing the well-reasoned statements of many posters here. He knows much more than you guys, and instead of just accepting that fact and adjusting your opinion your pride will not allow you to see the obvious truth in his words. You make up all kinds of ulterior motives that he might have when the obvious truth is right in front of you.

Hill was not limited. He had only 1 bad half of football in 2009 against the Texans. He was 10-6 as a starter and very accurate and had great instincts.

People want to make excuses for Smith, but refuse to make the same ones for guys like Troy Smith or Shaun Hill. And I'll say it right now: Troy Smith is not a good QB and isn't starter material, but Shaun Hill definitely is IMO.

That isn't true. It was very obvious that Hill wasn't doing much at all. I'm not laying it all on him, as the play calling was ultra conservative. But seriously he was being carried by the defense for the most part.

I remember Hill missing passes all the time. People yell at Smith for being captain checkdown, but Hill was even more like that. He did have pretty good instincts though and he was a gamer. Go back and look at the stats he was only completing 56% of his passes so I don't think you can laud his accuracy given your comments about Smith. He also had a QB rating in the high 70's.

During that time it was obvious to everyone that teams were just stacking the box and begging Hill to throw it deep. He couldn't do that so the drives stalled all over the place. He was averaging 150 yards per game! I mean, come on man.

This is what I am talking about. You want a QB who has been consistently worse over the last few years and it is not logical at all...

This is not true. But we will agree to disagree.

hill>>>Smith

Ah, I see. You have no real facts and statistics to back-up your ridiculous claims. What wasn't true? Come on you guys are all the same. You get hit with some reality and you have nothing to answer with so you just go back to spouting your sophomoric analysis.
Originally posted by JayBee:

How is he middle of the road when his numbers are near the bottom every season? Alex is a lower tier QB. His stats show that. As far as everyone expecting Montana or bust? No. That's ridiculous. People just want a competent QB. I don't think he flat out sucks, I just think he's a mediocre QB.

And yes, he has lost his job in competition.

according to football-reference he was just about as close to average as you can get statistically last year. Here is the link.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

it is advanced passing stats... so at least according to that statistical measurement he is basically the most average QB in the league
Even if we choose to call him "average", that's not bad IF one is capable of considering the often lousy OL, lazy and mistake-prone receivers, and predictable scheme.

In a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" league, going 94.7 on QBR and having 11 TDs to 3 INTs is better than average on any team (7th best)... much less ours.

Don't be hating on your team's QB when he's putting up numbers like that.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Even if we choose to call him "average", that's not bad IF one is capable of considering the often lousy OL, lazy and mistake-prone receivers, and predictable scheme.

In a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" league, going 94.7 on QBR and having 11 TDs to 3 INTs is better than average on any team (7th best)... much less ours.

Don't be hating on your team's QB when he's putting up numbers like that.

yeah I would agree with that. The often repeated refrain that Smith is "one of the worst" just isn't true. If you are purely looking at Stats, it just isn't true. According to the stats he is average. If you look at how he was trending? It was looking much better.

hmmm....

Actually he beat all those guys out. He's the starter and they aren't around anymore.

Starter only because of the financial investment the team made him, not because of his own merit.

We can only guess that the "investment" was the reason. Besides, Smith agreed to cut his salary and he still started.

In reality, and this has been verified by Matt today, Smith really didn't lose that competition. Hill was going in to the season as the no.1 and Smith had to un-seat him in order to take it. Hill and Smith both played about the same in pre-season and then Smith got hurt in the third pre-season game (I believe.. maybe it was the second). At that point it was over. There was no reason to continue the competition, as Smith wouldn't be back until the season started.

This is typical. You guys look at a situation in such black and white terms that it doesn't matter to you what vital facts led to certain events. It makes you sound really ignorant.

The fact of the matter is that Hill wasn't getting it done, and was beaten out by Smith who came in and played much better during the latter portion of that season. Hill was severely limited, and once teams keyed in on that he was extremely ineffective.

You guys can spin all this any way you want, but you are blinded by frustration about the team that you are placing on A. Smith.

The reality is that Harbaugh thinks Smith can be a good QB. He is echoing the well-reasoned statements of many posters here. He knows much more than you guys, and instead of just accepting that fact and adjusting your opinion your pride will not allow you to see the obvious truth in his words. You make up all kinds of ulterior motives that he might have when the obvious truth is right in front of you.

Hill was not limited. He had only 1 bad half of football in 2009 against the Texans. He was 10-6 as a starter and very accurate and had great instincts.

People want to make excuses for Smith, but refuse to make the same ones for guys like Troy Smith or Shaun Hill. And I'll say it right now: Troy Smith is not a good QB and isn't starter material, but Shaun Hill definitely is IMO.

That isn't true. It was very obvious that Hill wasn't doing much at all. I'm not laying it all on him, as the play calling was ultra conservative. But seriously he was being carried by the defense for the most part.

I remember Hill missing passes all the time. People yell at Smith for being captain checkdown, but Hill was even more like that. He did have pretty good instincts though and he was a gamer. Go back and look at the stats he was only completing 56% of his passes so I don't think you can laud his accuracy given your comments about Smith. He also had a QB rating in the high 70's.

During that time it was obvious to everyone that teams were just stacking the box and begging Hill to throw it deep. He couldn't do that so the drives stalled all over the place. He was averaging 150 yards per game! I mean, come on man.

This is what I am talking about. You want a QB who has been consistently worse over the last few years and it is not logical at all...

hill>>>Smith

Ah, I see. You have no real facts and statistics to back-up your ridiculous claims. What wasn't true? Come on you guys are all the same. You get hit with some reality and you have nothing to answer with so you just go back to spouting your sophomoric analysis.

What the f**k are you talking about? It's called an opinion, you ever heard of that? Whatever you said 2 posts ago about teams figuring Hill out and Smith being better, that was an opinion. I can believe whatever I want. Just b/c I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong. And I'm getting late for school so I don't have much time to provide facts and analysis. Maybe some other time.
hmmm....

hill>>>Smith

As a 49er Hill had a winning record, a higher completion %, twice as many TD's as interceptions and a QB rating 15 points higher than Smith.

My guess is that if Hill was still on the roster he'd be Harbaugh's primary object of media affection.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
hmmm....

hill>>>Smith

As a 49er Hill had a winning record, a higher completion %, twice as many TD's as interceptions and a QB rating 15 points higher than Smith.

My guess is that if Hill was still on the roster he'd be Harbaugh's primary object of media affection.

Wins are not totally irrelevant, but I think it is fair to say that neither QB was given the chance to impact the game much. Hill had some decent numbers in previous seasons, but I was talking more about the season that he was benched for Smith. If you look at the trend, each year Hill's numbers got worse with the Niners as teams started figuring him out. I'm not a Hill hater at all, I think he was better than most of the QB;s here. Maybe Harbaugh would like him running the West Coast. He is a much more limited QB simple because he has one of the weakest arms in the NFL.

Smith, on the other hand has been steadily improving every year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
hmmm....

hill>>>Smith

Wins are not totally irrelevant, but I think it is fair to say that neither QB was given the chance to impact the game much. Hill had some decent numbers in previous seasons, but I was talking more about the season that he was benched for Smith. If you look at the trend, each year Hill's numbers got worse with the Niners as teams started figuring him out. I'm not a Hill hater at all, I think he was better than most of the QB;s here. Maybe Harbaugh would like him running the West Coast. He is a much more limited QB simple because he has one of the weakest arms in the NFL.

Smith, on the other hand has been steadily improving every year.

Yeah...he went from almost the worst ever to simply average. Not really the improvement I'm looking for...but better than any of our other options in the past 6 years that we've brought on board.

Kicking myself over Michael Vick...but I had a feeling I would be.
The bottom line is thank God for Harbaugh as he knows QBs. If he says Alex can do he needs, then what's the problem?

Oh, that's right. You guys know more than him with your NON-professional opinions.

My bad.
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone