Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Only with Alex Smith are the stats on NFL.com not a good enough indicator of his play. We must look at "advanced stats" and consider how poor his entire team is. I'm done.

Stats, rats! The only stat that matters in the NFL is win/loss and in that category my friend he is hot garbage.

So is Vernon Davis...and Patrick Willis...by that same logic, let's trade those losers!!!

Better still...

Our offense was a run first team last year right? So the Running Back is the most important position...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Lol I guess Chris Johnson, Nnamdi Asamdsfkaa, Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, MJD, Calvin Johnson, Cameron Wake, Arian Foster etc. are all hot garbage

QB is the most important position on the field.

You ever wonder why Elway gets praised for his 4th quarter comebacks? I mean, there were 10 other players on the field. Would you not say the coach or team should get praise for this stat? They don't. If the team loses and the QB did not play well, guess who gets the blame? The QB. Who was to blame for Pittsburgh losing this past SuperBowl? Pittsburgh.

I know it hurts, but the QB is and will always be the most important person on the field...he will get praised for winning and bashed for losing. Funny how people call QB's "winners"....."oh, he's a winner"....but they don't say the same for RB's, WR's, etc...

It's a team sport, but you have to be dumb as hell if you don't think the QB is far and away the most important player on the team and is more responsible than anyone else for the success of the team. QB is the heart of a team.

Find me a team that has won consistently with a poor QB. Yea, the Ravens won with Dilfer for one year, then struggled to find a starting QB for almost 10 years.

Alex is not the guy.

Well said man. These people act like QB isn't the most important position in ALL of sports. They probably have the same mentality as Sing.

I guess all you need to do is plug in any scrub at QB and put talent around him and you will go to the SuperBowl. I mean, all you need is good coaching, good OL play, and good recievers, right? I mean, it worked for the Cardinals right after Warner left and they put in Anderson, right? It worked for the Vikings this past year, right? The only reason favre had a drop-off in play was b/c of the people around him, not b/c he was too old or b/c he lost it. QB doesn't matter. Waste of a position. We should start using our punters and kickers as QBs so we could actually use that roster spot for a player who actually contributes.

Yea... Arizona and Minny are perfect examples of what poor QB'ing will do to your team.

I remember the Favre apologists last year. "His best receiver is Bernard Berrian". "The receivers are the reason why he stinks". Sound familiar? Well Percy Harvin came back, even got Randy Moss....and Favre was still throwing picks. Funny how crappy Randy looked the minute he had a poor QB or was phased out of the offense (NE). But people here still think the receiver makes the QB and not vice versa.

Yeah. I wonder whether anyone actually has stopped and pondered this: Maybe it's not our receivers making the QB look bad, but the other way around.

WOW! That actually makes a lot of sense and is a possible situation here in Ninerland.

You don't think it's funny that only Alex gets the "crappy receivers" excuse but JT O'Sullivan, Troy Smith and Shaun Hill...don't?

id hate to interrupt you r man love fest here

no one bashed hilll or sulliven and the excuse for crappy wr was 2005 and 2006 year when his best wr was antonio bryant and most consistant was arnaz battle

i agree this 2009 and 2010 season we have had decent to good wr target certainly not bad enough to warrant an "excuse"

also the thing isnt bad wr i the drops they make and i dont think ALL the blame can go on qb vernon davis and morgan seem to be doing fine crabtree has a problem of tipping wr to the opponent however part of the blame will fall on alex because he throws it a little fast (when i typed tht that sounds like a wr excuse)

amd good o line and good coaching go hand in hand with a great qb for every great qb you can name an all sar or a great coach and sing and nolan are hardly what you call a great coach and it had nothing to do with alex

nolan didnt have a clue about anything but defense he didnt know how to control the team how to command respect look at vernon davis the team was just out of control

sing was the opposite he had the respect of the team and knew how to discipline but knew nothing about x's and o's he was outcoached in almost all of the games

alex has his share of blame most of it probally is but you cant expect a young qb to succeed with a coach who doesnt know to teach and doesnt have an offensive gameplan

Why are you calling Antonio Bryant an awful receiver? He had 1000yards receiving in frigging Clevleand with Charlie Frye as his QB the year before and got 1400 yards the year after.

Brandon Lloyd wasn't an awful receiver either. Arnaz Battle was not a #1, I'll give you that...and there were some other bums. But lets not act like JT and Shaun had all world receivers.

Your whole great QB, great coach talk is bullcrap....

I was going to go into detail an list examples of how flawed your argument is but it's simply a waste of time since I've learned a long time ago, arguign with Alex stans is a waste of time.

LOL @ talking about Nolan and Sing...as if they were the reason why Alex was missing swing passes and slants.

i didnt call him awful but he is no #1 wr he is a number 2 at best i think he had some 800 yards with us or something

and qb - coach thing is not bull crap

the best example is matt cassel

im sure u would call belichick a good coach
he had 21 td and 11 int as a patriot

his first year in kc he had a pretty mediocore coach in herm edwards he had 16 td to 16 int

then had a great offensive minded coach in haley and had 27 td to 7 int

So a receiver that puts up 1400 yards in their career multiple times isn't a #1?

Now I've heard it all.

antonio bryant dude look up his stats

Yeah, I did. He had a 1000 yard season with TRENT DILFER. And another 1,200 season with the Bucs after he left us.

ok so 1000 and 1248 yards is 1400 yards in a 8 year career and u said he had 1400 yards multiple times? where did u go to school

his average yards per season is 707.42 yards

and just for a "fun fact" he had 733 yards with us

Ok, I read the other guy's post and read 1,400? Don't crucify me for it.

IDGAF about his career average. Stop trying to avoid the fact that he had 2 1,000 yard seasons with 2 different teams, one of them with TRENT DILFER.

What don't you understand about that? Bryant was a legitimate #1 receiver who was very talented but his off the field troubles and character concerns were what brought his career down. The guy had the talent and game needed to be a top 10 receiver in the league, hands down. Now, if you wish to deny that b/c it goes against your argument of Alex having weak receivers, thats fine. Still, I suggest you take off the biased glasses and look at the situation without tunnel vision.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Only with Alex Smith are the stats on NFL.com not a good enough indicator of his play. We must look at "advanced stats" and consider how poor his entire team is. I'm done.

Stats, rats! The only stat that matters in the NFL is win/loss and in that category my friend he is hot garbage.

So is Vernon Davis...and Patrick Willis...by that same logic, let's trade those losers!!!

Better still...

Our offense was a run first team last year right? So the Running Back is the most important position...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Lol I guess Chris Johnson, Nnamdi Asamdsfkaa, Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, MJD, Calvin Johnson, Cameron Wake, Arian Foster etc. are all hot garbage

You ever wonder why Elway gets praised for his 4th quarter comebacks? I mean, there were 10 other players on the field. Would you not say the coach or team should get praise for this stat? They don't. If the team loses and the QB did not play well, guess who gets the blame? The QB. Who was to blame for Pittsburgh losing this past SuperBowl? Pittsburgh.

I know it hurts, but the QB is and will always be the most important person on the field...he will get praised for winning and bashed for losing. Funny how people call QB's "winners"....."oh, he's a winner"....but they don't say the same for RB's, WR's, etc...

It's a team sport, but you have to be dumb as hell if you don't think the QB is far and away the most important player on the team and is more responsible than anyone else for the success of the team. QB is the heart of a team.

Find me a team that has won consistently with a poor QB. Yea, the Ravens won with Dilfer for one year, then struggled to find a starting QB for almost 10 years.

Alex is not the guy.

Well said man. These people act like QB isn't the most important position in ALL of sports. They probably have the same mentality as Sing.

I guess all you need to do is plug in any scrub at QB and put talent around him and you will go to the SuperBowl. I mean, all you need is good coaching, good OL play, and good recievers, right? I mean, it worked for the Cardinals right after Warner left and they put in Anderson, right? It worked for the Vikings this past year, right? The only reason favre had a drop-off in play was b/c of the people around him, not b/c he was too old or b/c he lost it. QB doesn't matter. Waste of a position. We should start using our punters and kickers as QBs so we could actually use that roster spot for a player who actually contributes.

Yea... Arizona and Minny are perfect examples of what poor QB'ing will do to your team.

I remember the Favre apologists last year. "His best receiver is Bernard Berrian". "The receivers are the reason why he stinks". Sound familiar? Well Percy Harvin came back, even got Randy Moss....and Favre was still throwing picks. Funny how crappy Randy looked the minute he had a poor QB or was phased out of the offense (NE). But people here still think the receiver makes the QB and not vice versa.

Yeah. I wonder whether anyone actually has stopped and pondered this: Maybe it's not our receivers making the QB look bad, but the other way around.

WOW! That actually makes a lot of sense and is a possible situation here in Ninerland.

You don't think it's funny that only Alex gets the "crappy receivers" excuse but JT O'Sullivan, Troy Smith and Shaun Hill...don't?

no one bashed hilll or sulliven and the excuse for crappy wr was 2005 and 2006 year when his best wr was antonio bryant and most consistant was arnaz battle

i agree this 2009 and 2010 season we have had decent to good wr target certainly not bad enough to warrant an "excuse"

also the thing isnt bad wr i the drops they make and i dont think ALL the blame can go on qb vernon davis and morgan seem to be doing fine crabtree has a problem of tipping wr to the opponent however part of the blame will fall on alex because he throws it a little fast (when i typed tht that sounds like a wr excuse)

amd good o line and good coaching go hand in hand with a great qb for every great qb you can name an all sar or a great coach and sing and nolan are hardly what you call a great coach and it had nothing to do with alex

nolan didnt have a clue about anything but defense he didnt know how to control the team how to command respect look at vernon davis the team was just out of control

sing was the opposite he had the respect of the team and knew how to discipline but knew nothing about x's and o's he was outcoached in almost all of the games

alex has his share of blame most of it probally is but you cant expect a young qb to succeed with a coach who doesnt know to teach and doesnt have an offensive gameplan

All I read was blah blah Alexcuse, blah blah blah nolan, blah blah sing, blah blah coaching.

lol this is a typical Alex hater post

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

All I read was blah blah Alexcuse, blah blah blah nolan, blah blah sing, blah blah coaching.

Nah, actually, its the only time I've posted anything like that.

I'm just tired of all the same old excuses that only apply to Alex, not any other QB in the league.
Of all the crappy receivers that played here. You bring up Antonio Bryant? Anyone who knows football will tell you he's a good receiver. I remember Alex under-throwing passes and Antonio giving him the look.
Of all the crappy receivers that played here. You bring up Antonio Bryant? Anyone who knows football will tell you he's a good receiver. I remember Alex under-throwing passes and Antonio giving him the look.

Nah man. Bryant was s**t. And so was B.Lloyd. If only Alex had Jerry Rice and Tim Brown and Kellen Winslow the TE, he'd be the greatest QB of all time.

Throw in Willie Roaf, Orlando Pace, Larry Allen, Bob McKitrick, and a couple other hall of fame OL, and any season w/o a SB championship from Alex would be a huge disappointment.

i didnt say he was s**t i said he was good and decent he just isnt a number 1 wr

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Why are you calling Antonio Bryant an awful receiver? He had 1000yards receiving in frigging Clevleand with Charlie Frye as his QB the year before and got 1400 yards the year after.

Brandon Lloyd wasn't an awful receiver either. Arnaz Battle was not a #1, I'll give you that...and there were some other bums. But lets not act like JT and Shaun had all world receivers.

I was going to go into detail an list examples of how flawed your argument is but it's simply a waste of time since I've learned a long time ago, arguign with Alex stans is a waste of time.

LOL @ talking about Nolan and Sing...as if they were the reason why Alex was missing swing passes and slants.

Montana and Young had Bill Walsh
Brady has Bellicheck
Aaron Rodgers has McCarthy
Drew Brees and Shaun Payton
Look at Mike Vick with Andy Reid
Starr had Lombardi
Aikman had Johnson
Bradshaw had Noll
Even Jon Kitna played pretty good with Garrett after Phillips got fired
---------------------------
Alex Smith had Singletary and Nolan
Akili Smith had Bruce Coslet
Jamarcus Russell had Lane Kiffen
Ryan Leaf had Kevin Gilbride
Lawrence Phillips had Rich Brooks
Joey Harrington had Marty Mornhinweg

did you notice the f**king pattern?

But I guess "great QB, great coach talk is bullcrap"
Whether you support Smith or hate him, to bring Antonio Bryant to support your argument on either side is a terrible example. The dude is totally inconsistent. Had about 2 good years out of his 8 years. He can showed flashes of being a #1 receiver one year and then totally tanked the next. Almost seems like he only play for the next big FA payday. You can point to his 2 good years and make the argument that he is a #1 receiver talent, but rest of the other year he was total sh*t.

Personally, I don't buy the receiver is only as good if the qb is good. If you are a good, consistent WR, most qb that played in the NFL will be able to throw the ball your way. And the OC will draw up plays to go your way. As long as you can show you are a consistent WR they will find a way to get you the ball.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Whether you support Smith or hate him, to bring Antonio Bryant to support your argument on either side is a terrible example. The dud is totally inconsistent. Had about 2 good years out of his 8 years. He can showed flashes of being a #1 receiver one year and then totally tanked the next. Almost seems like he only play for the next big FA payday. You can point to his 2 good years and make the argument that he is a #1 receiver talent, but rest of the other year he was total sh*t.

Personally, I don't buy the receiver is only as good if the qb is good. If you are a good, consistent WR, most qb that played in the NFL will be able to throw the ball your way. And the OC will draw up plays to go your way. As long as you can show you are a consistent WR they will find a way to get you the ball.

thats exactly what im saying he is a decent wr but just not a number 1

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Brady has Bellicheck
Starr had Lombardi
Aikman had Johnson
Bradshaw had Noll

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. What does any of this have to do with Alex not being able to hit a swing pass to save his life?

Are you trying to tell me that under Jimmy Johnson, Mike McCarthy, Lombardi...Alex would miraculously know how to play football? If you think Johnson coached up Troy, you're an idiot. It was Norv...and in order to be coached up you have to have some ABILITY.

LOL @ you thinking Nolan was supposed to push Martz, McCarthy and Turner aside and run Alex through drills and coach him up.

Another LOL @ you thinking Belicheck coached up Brady. Or that Parcells coached up Romo....or that Cowher coached up Rothlesberger.

What's funny is if this was last year...I'm sure you would have included Wisenhunt on your list....but, Wisenhunt lost his HOF caliber QB and went from being a top coach to a poor one in the span of a year. Funny.

And thanks for posting this list:

Guess what all of these players have in common. They suck.

Log off.
[ Edited by JayBee on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM ]

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Brady has Bellicheck
Starr had Lombardi
Aikman had Johnson
Bradshaw had Noll

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. What does any of this have to do with Alex not being able to hit a swing pass to save his life?

Are you trying to tell me that under Jimmy Johnson, Mike McCarthy, Lombardi...Alex would miraculously know how to play football? If you think Johnson coached up Troy, you're an idiot. It was Norv...and in order to be coached up you have to have some ABILITY.

LOL @ you thinking Nolan was supposed to push Martz, McCarthy and Turner aside and run Alex through drills and coach him up.

Another LOL @ you thinking Belicheck coached up Brady. Or that Parcells coached up Romo....or that Cowher coached up Rothlesberger.

What's funny is if this was last year...I'm sure you would have included Wisenhunt on your list....but, Wisenhunt lost his HOF caliber QB and went from being a top coach to a poor one in the span of a year. Funny.

[b]Alex Smith had Singletary and Nolan

Guess what all of these players have in common. They suck.[/b]

Log off.

1st of all that first line is irrelevant to this whole discussion
2nd of all thats a personal attack, youre getting warned
3rd of all, Alex does have some ability According to Harbaugh Alex is a"Very accurate passer, Very athletic. And a guy that has played and been durable."
I trust Harbaugh more than you

4th of all youre putting words in my mouth, I didnt say or type have of what you accused me of thinking
5.............Bellicheck did coach up Brady WTFFFFFFF
6th DEREK ANDERSON HAS SUCKED FOR A WHILE , ITS NOT WHISENHUNTS FAULT HE SUCKS
7th THATS MY f**kING POINT

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

I'm just tired of all the same old excuses that only apply to Alex, not any other QB in the league.

There is a reason for that no other QB in the league has been "developed" like Alex Smith. Different OC's every season, HC's who have no clue how to run an offense yet feel it's necessary to attempt to control how the offense is ran, minimal talent(in the early portion of his career), receivers that drop every damn fricken pass It hit you in the f**king handssssss catch it, don't tip it in the damn air!!!!!!!!!.....should I keep going?

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

Brady has Bellicheck
Starr had Lombardi
Aikman had Johnson
Bradshaw had Noll

[b]Alex Smith had Singletary and Nolan

Guess what all of these players have in common. They suck.[/b]

Log off.

1st of all that first line is irrelevant to this whole discussion
2nd of all thats a personal attack, youre getting warned
3rd of all, Alex does have some ability According to Harbaugh Alex is a"Very accurate passer, Very athletic. And a guy that has played and been durable."
I trust Harbaugh more than you

4th of all youre putting words in my mouth, I didnt say or type have of what you accused me of thinking
5.............Bellicheck did coach up Brady WTFFFFFFF
6th DEREK ANDERSON HAS SUCKED FOR A WHILE , ITS NOT WHISENHUNTS FAULT HE SUCKS
7th THATS MY f**kING POINT

Omg, there is so much fail in this post. First of all, I too wanted to believe Harbaugh in his statements about Alex b/c I thought maybe he sees something I don't. But as soon as I read the 'Alex is very durable' statement, I knew right away that all his wooing of Alex was just PC. THere is no way Alex is durable. If Harbaugh told you that Jonas Jennings was very durable, you would believe him? I hope not.

Second, Belichik did NOT coach up Brady. If you didn't know, he is a defensive coach and knows nothing about QBing. Same goes with Cowher and Big Ben, Johnson and Aikman, Mike Smith and Ryan, Harbaugh and Flacco, and I could go on and on.
Originally posted by backontop:

Better still...

Franky...you gotta go!!!

Alex is not the guy.

There is a reason for that no other QB in the league has been "developed" like Alex Smith. Different OC's every season, HC's who have no clue how to run an offense yet feel it's necessary to attempt to control how the offense is ran, minimal talent(in the early portion of his career), receivers that drop every damn fricken pass It hit you in the f**king handssssss catch it, don't tip it in the damn air!!!!!!!!!.....should I keep going?

Blah blah blah. No other QB in the league has gotten a chance to play under McCarthy, Martz and Turner either.

Lets stop blaming the head coach. Running an offense does not prevent you from hitting swing passes, taking shots deep, being a leader, having touch instead of whipping fast balls to receivers 3 feet away. Tell me how playcalling affects that.

As far as no one being developed like Alex...see Jason Campbell. He's had MORE OC's than Alex has. He also never had the weapons Alex had. Yet still has better career numbers. Where are his excuses?

You're still on the tipped balls? You try to catch fast balls 2 feet above your head 3 feet away. I can't wait till Crabs gets a real QB throwing him balls. You'll see just how good he is.

Omg, there is so much fail in this post.

First of all, I too wanted to believe Harbaugh in his statements about Alex b/c I thought maybe he sees something I don't.

But as soon as I read the 'Alex is very durable' statement, I knew right away that all his wooing of Alex was just PC.

THere is no way Alex is durable. If Harbaugh told you that Jonas Jennings was very durable, you would believe him? I hope not.

Second, Belichik did NOT coach up Brady. If you didn't know, he is a defensive coach and knows nothing about QBing. Same goes with Cowher and Big Ben, Johnson and Aikman, Mike Smith and Ryan, Harbaugh and Flacco, and I could go on and on.

You assume a great deal and don't know crap when it comes to Harbaugh's genuine approach to a team he's long to have. Alex is not durable? Go to bed. Take a nap and wake up to reality.

He's still under center after how many throwing shoulder surgeries. He's still taking it in the chops. He's still delivers when he's booed. He's still a FA who, oddly enough, will be sought after.

There's a reason for that! Snap out of it.

When a "PRO", who's highly respected as a QB evaluator defines Alex's traits, you tend to respect and at least, re-evaluate.

But of course, you know more than a Professional.

You come off as pompous, BTW.
Share 49ersWebzone