LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by marls1:
Originally posted by susweel:

lol...

You still have to agree we have seen improvement from Smith. I really was expecting 2010 to be his breakout year but it turned out to expose Singletary as a terrible coach.

I do think Harbaugh can get Smith to be a top 5 QB. If it doesn't work, we can always go after Luck...

H.O.P.

You are saying you would rather give this guy another shot because if he fails then we might have a chance at the number 1 pick in next years draft?

Do you even like this team?

Good point. But, I really don't see that happening.

lol...

You still have to agree we have seen improvement from Smith. I really was expecting 2010 to be his breakout year but it turned out to expose Singletary as a terrible coach.

I do think Harbaugh can get Smith to be a top 5 QB. If it doesn't work, we can always go after Luck...

Funniest statement ever

Time will tell... It's also the best chance we have short term. Who else are we going to get?? Orton? Kolb? Really?? and give up our 1st round pick? Crazy...

lol...

Funniest statement ever

Dude I know. Alex Smith is no where in the same league as Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees. there you go, the top 5 QBs. Is Alex on par or even better than any of those? NO f**kING WAY. Homerism alert.

You do know Phillip Rivers made this same goof this year.

Just sayin.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Just sayin.

Yeah, let's compare Rivers and Alex Smith.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Just sayin.

Point is, this even happens to good QBs. Anytime people bring up a comparison to Manning, Rivers, Montana, Young, etc., the point is to say that even the greats screw up and have their faults. People who expect Smith not to make mistakes are holding him to higher standards than even the great QBs and that's not fair to a middle of the road QB like Smith.

THis also explains the venomous sentiment by the "haters" and casual fans because they expect more from a QB who was drafted first. And before you say "He was drafted first! he should be great!" you are assuming the there are certainties in the draft, which is a false assumption. Those of us who haven't gone to either extreme realize that smith was drafted too high, developed incorrectly, and poorly supported. He is not an elite QB and probably never will be. To expect as much simply indicates a superficial level of thought. Likewise, whose who believe he is the worst QB in the world haven't thought about this very deeply either.
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Just sayin.

Point is, this even happens to good QBs. Anytime people bring up a comparison to Manning, Rivers, Montana, Young, etc., the point is to say that even the greats screw up and have their faults. People who expect Smith not to make mistakes are holding him to higher standards than even the great QBs and that's not fair to a middle of the road QB like Smith.

THis also explains the venomous sentiment by the "haters" and casual fans because they expect more from a QB who was drafted first. And before you say "He was drafted first! he should be great!" you are assuming the there are certainties in the draft, which is a false assumption. Those of us who haven't gone to either extreme realize that smith was drafted too high, developed incorrectly, and poorly supported. He is not an elite QB and probably never will be. To expect as much simply indicates a superficial level of thought by those who do.

Well, so we should settle for mediocrity just b/c he can't be great or even just good? No thanks. Start fresh, bring someone new in and see if they can be good or great. No point hanging our hopes on this guy, AGAIN to break out. Excuses or no excuses, he simply didn't perform and it'd be best for both sides to move on.

Just sayin.

THis also explains the venomous sentiment by the "haters" and casual fans because they expect more from a QB who was drafted first. And before you say "He was drafted first! he should be great!" you are assuming the there are certainties in the draft, which is a false assumption. Those of us who haven't gone to either extreme realize that smith was drafted too high, developed incorrectly, and poorly supported. He is not an elite QB and probably never will be. To expect as much simply indicates a superficial level of thought by those who do.

Well, so we should settle for mediocrity just b/c he can't be great or even just good? No thanks. Start fresh, bring someone new in and see if they can be good or great. No point hanging our hopes on this guy, AGAIN to break out. Excuses or no excuses, he simply didn't perform and it'd be best for both sides to move on.

Nice job missing the point. Expectations were too high, and not just by the fans, but coaches too. The biggest problem was that there was no back up plan after year 3. QB is too important to have the "wait and see" approach. I do agree, we need to move on.
I don't know, it could go either way, my opinion on smith is that he lacks the skill set and decison making of a top tier qb. In my opinion many of the mistakes last year came from his lack of skills that he should have picked up in a much lower level of football basics, but that is just one opinion. Can he improve on this, yes, but in my view already making it to the pros, a qb should already have a level of aptitude to the game. Sam Bradford, for example, as a rookie, he looked very crisp to me, having an 18td/15int season off of one 700yd and one 600yd WR, is really good in my view of a rookie qb, considering these WRs are at best average. In comparison to Smith's 1td/11int season as a starting rookie, with current pro bowler Brandon Lloyd. It's hard to see Smith as a top tier qb, at least to me. I'm just going to leave it to the experts Jim Harbaugh and Jed York, I wish them the absolute best and hope this is the direction the team needs to go, I don't know what their agendas are or what the plans are for this team, but my view greatly differs from at least what is going through the press.
[ Edited by niteshade80 on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by niteshade80:
I don't know, it could go either way, my opinion on smith is that he lacks the skill set and decison making of a top tier qb. In my opinion many of the mistakes last year came from his lack of skills that he should have picked up in a much lower level of football basics, but that is just one opinion. Can he improve on this, yes, but in my view already making it to the pros, a qb should already have a level of aptitude to the game. Sam Bradford, for example, as a rookie, he looked very crisp to me, having an 18td/15int season off of one 700yd and one 600yd WR, is really good in my view of a rookie qb, considering these WRs are at best average. In comparison to Smith's 1td/11int season as a starting rookie, with current pro bowler Brandon Lloyd. It's hard to see Smith as a top tier qb, at least to me. I'm just going to leave it to the experts Jim Harbaugh and Jed York, I wish them the absolute best and hope this is the direction the team needs to go, I don't know what their agendas are or what the plans are for this team, but my view greatly differs from at least what is going through the press.

I agree with you. He doesn't have the intangibles and instincts

Just sayin.

Nice job missing the point. Expectations were too high, and not just by the fans, but coaches too. The biggest problem was that there was no back up plan after year 3. QB is too important to have the "wait and see" approach. I do agree, we need to move on.

For the record, I never said compare anyone.

Just stating a fact. I really don't care what we do with Alex Smith at this point. I'm emotionally drained/removed from arguing about 49er quarterbacks.
I don't know if I can add anything profound to this string other than expressing an opinion as a fan based on what I have seen the last six years. I believe Alex can improve significantly under the right coaching and supporting cast. Accuracy can be improved with practice and precise route running and creative playmaking can be synthesized if options are limited and well rehearsed. Heck I am 60 and I have improved a lot since last year - in all aspects of my cognitive abilities. As far as Alex - and as has been stated already - it will not be too easy to bring in another veteran QB this year who offers us a better chance to win. Lets try to retain him, draft another QB or two and revaluate next year.
Kirkthejerk said he was out of here. I hope he doesn't mean it. He has brought some valuable stuff to the board. I especially appreciated his contribution about the Dunning-Kruger effect. It was gratifying to see that tests have proven what I have observed for years. Thanks, Kirk.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Kirkthejerk said he was out of here. I hope he doesn't mean it. He has brought some valuable stuff to the board. I especially appreciated his contribution about the Dunning-Kruger effect. It was gratifying to see that tests have proven what I have observed for years. Thanks, Kirk.

The Dunning-Kruger effect applies to both sides of the Smith argument, as far as I'm concerned.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by excelsior:

The Dunning-Kruger effect applies to both sides of the Smith argument, as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly
Share 49ersWebzone