LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I don't understand you guys. You say that we shouldn't look at Kolb's stats because he has not had enough time to get in a groove. Okay, if we are not supposed to look at his stats, then what the HELL are you looking at that causes you to think he is worth a 2nd round draft pick?

Watching him in game and seeing his good accuracy, pocket presence, touch, etc. And add in the fact he's been coached by one of the best.

Same goes for Alex with this dude. You can look at his 82 QB rating or his "great" redzone numbers, or you could watch him in game and see him throw inaccurate passes, stare down WRs before he throws to them, check down too early, not hit his targets in stride, not read the field, make poor decisions, turn the ball over, display poor pocket presence, refuse to take chances, show a lack of anticipation and generally just make mistakes.

Numbers can be part of the argument. But putting Alex's below average numbers aside, he just doesnt pass the eye test.

Or you could look at his career stats and see a improving QB every year,especially the last 2 despite the drama.

And it looks like he's passing Harbaugh's eye test whose opinion matters here

Wow, it's taken him six years to get his rating to the 80s.

Maybe by year 10, he'll be in the 90s. I can't wait!
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Hopper:
God I hope Baalke vetoes Harbaugh on this decision. Enough is enough, even if we have to start a rookie.

No...I hope Baalke & Harbaugh sit & seriously go over EVERYTHING. They need to be together & on the same page here.

To me it seems like there is some difference in opinion on Alex with Baalke and Harbaugh.

exactly what I see.

Could be the start of something. I know its very early but I could see Harbaugh forcing out Baalke for full control.
We shouldn't read too much into this situation. When Baalke said "the QB of the future is not currently on the roster," Alex Smith was scheduled for FA and without an extension. Consequently, Baalke was correct in a practical sense but not technically. However, Baalke has left the door open for Harbaugh.

We can be certain that Baalke and Harbaugh have discussed all of this very thoroughly. They both fully know what the fan base has been discussing and know that they will have to have a very solid reason for retaining Smith, if they do. For that reason, we can be very sure that there is no split between them on this one. It is the most important decision facing the team.

I can well imagine that Baalke has told JH to do all the work he needs to with Alex Smith and anybody else that may be on the horizon. Smith is the first and most logical solution, however, Harbaugh will only get the answer he seeks by spending a lot of time with Alex and then making a decision. I cannot imagine them not being on the same page at all times on this one.
I now officially raise Alex's chances of returning from 75% to 80%.

For those who like to point out all of Alex's struggles his rookie year (when he was 20 and 21) and each year thereafter, they tend to forget that people grow and mature ... they change. Some are early maturers and some are slower maturing. Many will agree that we have watch him change and improve. He is not the same guy he was 5 years ago. I know his growth is too slow for some, but he is what he is.

If he returns, I foresee further improvement, but the sailing will not always be smooth. There will be bumps in the road. Part will be due to the fact that he is probably not a great talent. Part will be due to his surrounding cast failing him from time to time. I suspect we will draft a QB, and that is the smart thing to do. But while we wait, I wish Alex the very best.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.

Here another thing... Can you name 1 1st round QB with Alex starting record that got a 7th year to boot? Tim Couch only got what 4 or 5... Russell only got 3... Leaf only got 1.. Carr still in the league,but is a back up now on the 49ers and no chance of starting.. Yet we keep going to the well every year hoping for some thing that's not there!

Tim Couch was only given 5 years even after he lead his team to a playoff berth. Alex hasnt and people want to give him a 7th year. Simply baffling.

Yet, people wonder why I'm so negative about this upcoming year... I've seen the Alex Smith show... It's a failure... So why should I or others like me have high hopes for next year... When were just getting the same deal. lol

But we have a new HC, and honestly I agree with you. WE shouldnt have high hopes on just giving a s**t about just Alex. So in that aspect u may not have high hopes. But if your a true fan, which like Alex Smith or not, u may be, you SHOULD have high hopes for the team. It's a 53 man roster and Alex is just one piece if that.

I mean we know he's gonna bring in another QB, via trade, F/A, or the draft. And we also know that there will be a competition whenever the full offseason does start. So how can u not be happy with that. I could see if he was saying, Smith will be back and is the starter, but we dont even know that yet.

If you mean to tell me, that from the hiring of Harbaugh, that u arent still excited about he and the coaches, and that just the talk of Alex takes away that feeling, then thats something u gotta work out with ur Alex feelings. Other than that, these are exciting times brotha.

Doesn't matter who the head coach is if the same losing QB behind center... You want me to be excited about a guy that leads us to top 10 picks every year.. That's not exciting for me sorry. It shouldn't be excited for you either.. You should be pissed like I am that 49ers refuses to turn the page after 6 years and are willing to give the loser a 7th.. I think some of this board are right.. Thier people in the world that accept medicore results.. What will get me excited is knowing that in 2011 the starting QB wont say Alex Smith... Only then will I say yep I'm excited... Untill that happens.. I got nothing to be excited for..
Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.

Here another thing... Can you name 1 1st round QB with Alex starting record that got a 7th year to boot? Tim Couch only got what 4 or 5... Russell only got 3... Leaf only got 1.. Carr still in the league,but is a back up now on the 49ers and no chance of starting.. Yet we keep going to the well every year hoping for some thing that's not there!

Tim Couch was only given 5 years even after he lead his team to a playoff berth. Alex hasnt and people want to give him a 7th year. Simply baffling.

Yet, people wonder why I'm so negative about this upcoming year... I've seen the Alex Smith show... It's a failure... So why should I or others like me have high hopes for next year... When were just getting the same deal. lol

Fakers, I was devastated when the 9ers hired Nolan and even more so when Singletary took over, but I kept rooting for the team because, for better or worse, they are my favorite team. It is painful at times, when you see something one way and the team goes the opposite, but thats the breaks! It is nice to be able to remember back to the days when they surprised the heck out of me and won a super bowl...and then, and then...wow, what a great ride. Now I can be happy for my Giants, hope for the Warriors and wait for next years NFL season to get here.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

But we have a new HC, and honestly I agree with you. WE shouldnt have high hopes on just giving a s**t about just Alex. So in that aspect u may not have high hopes. But if your a true fan, which like Alex Smith or not, u may be, you SHOULD have high hopes for the team. It's a 53 man roster and Alex is just one piece if that.

I mean we know he's gonna bring in another QB, via trade, F/A, or the draft. And we also know that there will be a competition whenever the full offseason does start. So how can u not be happy with that. I could see if he was saying, Smith will be back and is the starter, but we dont even know that yet.

If you mean to tell me, that from the hiring of Harbaugh, that u arent still excited about he and the coaches, and that just the talk of Alex takes away that feeling, then thats something u gotta work out with ur Alex feelings. Other than that, these are exciting times brotha.

Doesn't matter who the head coach is if the same losing QB behind center... You want me to be excited about a guy that leads us to top 10 picks every year.. That's not exciting for me sorry. It shouldn't be excited for you either.. You should be pissed like I am that 49ers refuses to turn the page after 6 years and are willing to give the loser a 7th.. I think some of this board are right.. Thier people in the world that accept medicore results.. What will get me excited is knowing that in 2011 the starting QB wont say Alex Smith... Only then will I say yep I'm excited... Untill that happens.. I got nothing to be excited for..

Unless he's extended in the next 14 days he won't even be on the roster, so to assume he's going to be behind center in 2011 at this point is just talk. There are genuine reasons to be excited without jumping off a bridge over Alex.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Fakers, I was devastated when the 9ers hired Nolan and even more so when Singletary took over, but I kept rooting for the team because, for better or worse, they are my favorite team. It is painful at times, when you see something one way and the team goes the opposite, but thats the breaks! It is nice to be able to remember back to the days when they surprised the heck out of me and won a super bowl...and then, and then...wow, what a great ride. Now I can be happy for my Giants, hope for the Warriors and wait for next years NFL season to get here.

DTG,I have rooted for the team every year.. Had high hope each time... As much as I love my 49ers and cherish the glory days... It's getting harder and harder to justify why I am a fan of thiers.. When I continue to see the same deal year after year.. Last year I was all gone ho... Saying this year the year... I even gave Alex the benfit of doubt... He failed again... Now I"m being asked as a fan again... To ride with him for a 7th? 6 was bad enough,but now more? I get he has his fans.. That cool and all,but they should be 49ers fans first and what's best for the 49ers is to end the misery know as Alex... Untill that day comes... The 49ers will continue to finish 2nd,3nd or last place...

P.S. I'm also a fan of the Ducks and Lakers.. Ducks may stink right now,but when it comes to the Lakers... Do you think a great franchise like them would put up with the same type of failure for a 7th season.. Not a chance in hell.. The 49ers use to be like that in the 80's. Now of days thier more like say the Clippers!

DTG,I have rooted for the team every year.. Had high hope each time... As much as I love my 49ers and cherish the glory days... It's getting harder and harder to justify why I am a fan of thiers.. When I continue to see the same deal year after year.. Last year I was all gone ho... Saying this year the year... I even gave Alex the benfit of doubt... He failed again... Now I"m being asked as a fan again... To ride with him for a 7th? 6 was bad enough,but now more? I get he has his fans.. That cool and all,but they should be 49ers fans first and what's best for the 49ers is to end the misery know as Alex... Untill that day comes... The 49ers will continue to finish 2nd,3nd or last place...

P.S. I'm also a fan of the Ducks and Lakers.. Ducks may stink right now,but when it comes to the Lakers... Do you think a great franchise like them would put up with the same type of failure for a 7th season.. Not a chance in hell.. The 49ers use to be like that in the 80's. Now of days thier more like say the Clippers!

you are more of an Alex hater than you are a 9er fan

baleeeeeed dat

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I totally agree with you fakers. lol. People have began to accept mediocrity. That's never a good thing. I never watched football in the glory days because I was too young, or even in the 90s, b/c I didn't like football back then.

All I've seen as a fan in losing. My first season as a fan was 2004, one of the worst 49er seasons historically.

STILL, I never accept and never will accept mediocrity. I just won't. Weaks**ts like Alex Smith will never be accepted by the majority of the fanbase. We didn't like Kwame Harris, Ahmed Plummer, Mike Rumph, Derek Smith, Mark Roman and all the other terrible players we've had over the past 6-7 years. Why don't people feel the same way about Alex? Is it some sort of personal attachment with him? I think it might be

Lets go Alex!

Originally posted by valrod33:

baleeeeeed dat

The other way around.. I'm a 49er fan first and not an Alex fan... The name on the logo doesn't say San Fran Alex... It says 49ers! You want to be a fan of him fine,but don't go around telling 49er fans like myself I have to support a guy that never won. The 49ers will be around after he gone in 5 years.. or whenever they finally cut the him loose.. They will eventually be good again,but it wont be due to him!
[ Edited by fakers23 on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:

baleeeeeed dat

The other way around.. I'm a 49er fan first and not an Alex fan... The name on the logo doesn't say San Fran Alex... It says 49ers! You want to be a fan of him fine,but don't go around telling 49er fans like myself I have to support a guy that never won. The 49ers will be around after he gone in 5 years.. or whenever they finally cut the do loose.. They will eventually be good again,but it wont be do to him!

I dont believe anything you say

baleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed dat
This is so f**king HILARIOUS.

OH NO OUR COACH LIKES ALEX SMITH. I GUESS HE WASN'T THE RIGHT COACH FOR THE JOB, I HATE YOU JON HARBAUGH!

LOLOL.

Haters are so mad.
Originally posted by Method:

OH NO OUR COACH LIKES ALEX SMITH. I GUESS HE WASN'T THE RIGHT COACH FOR THE JOB, I HATE YOU JON HARBAUGH!

LOLOL.

Haters are so mad.

Jim Harbaugh. At least get our coach's name right...
Originally posted by Method:

LOLOL.

Haters are so mad.

Its Jim Harbaugh.
Share 49ersWebzone