Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch Eric_Branch

#49ers Jim Harbaugh on KNBR: "I like Alex (Smith). I like being around him. And I like what I see on tape."

I'm not worried...

JH "I believe that starting quarterbacks are not anointed. That is an earned position. It’s about as simple as that. " Link

When has Alex won anything?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Alex Smith lose out on two QB competitions???

He lost a competition against JT O'Sullivan.

his throwing shoulder got reinjured that year by just throwing the football how did u expect him to win that?

Is that an Alexcuse I'm hearing? He's a smart guy. He should have shown Nolan the f**king finger if it still hurt and Nolan was forcing him to play! That shows one of his biggest drawbacks; No balls!

And I clearly remember that we found out about him going on IR like a couple days before the season. So he had plenty of time since mini camps all the way till preseason to beat out jto, but he couldn't. I say we trade for a guy like Matt Flynn for a 5th rounder, draft a QB, and resign Alex, and throw em in a competition. That's if Flynn will come for that price. I've heard the Packers might get a 2nd for him..

JT was brought in only to teach the rest of the team how to run the system. He was never intended to be the starter. Smith was re-injured just when Martz was ready to make him the starter.

GB has no intention of trading Flynn, although they would likely take a 2nd round pick for him, assuming it didn't get bid up to a #1 if someone like the Redskins decided they had to make a move. In any case, it is wishful thinking that anything less than a #2 would work. For a guy who has played only one game, that is an extravagant price.

Are you friggin serious?!?! Read that out loud enough times and try to convince yourself that its true. JT out-performed Smith AND Hill in camp that year. Why would Martz have allowed JT to take the majority of the snaps with the first team O if he intended the guy who was 3d on the friggin list to eventually be the starter. Common on man?
One last post and I'm done.

The Martz offense was/is very complicated and was totally foreign to what the 49ers had been running. Hence, Martz convinced McCloughan/Nolan to bring JTO over from Detroit where he had become very familiar with the offense. The plan was that he could run the OTAs and TC rather than someone who was still learning the offense. Then as camp progressed, as someone else, Hill or Smith, learned the offense, they would take over. If it took longer than TC, at least they had JT to run things.

So that is how it went down. JT ran things through the off-season and early TC. ACCORDING TO MARTZ, Smith re-injured his shoulder during the very week that Martz had declared him familiar enough with the offense to take over with the first team.

So that was the history. JT "won" by virtue of injury.

This is simply not true.
We still dont know if he will even be back, but i think this speaks volumes on what our HC thinks.

Q: Obviously you’ve spoken to him and you can’t speak for him, but he’s a free agent. So there’s almost a recruiting that you have to do, too? Because he can go wherever he wants when this CBA is settled.

JH: “Right. People are going to make decisions that they think are best for their family, best for themselves and best for the team. So, I’m not going to hide my feelings. I like Alex Smith, I like him as a football player, as a person and he’ll make the best decision for him. Some people say Alex Smith needs a fresh start — needs a new place to be or whatever. I say let that place be here.”
Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. These teams have the top picks in the drafts or a reason. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.

Here another thing... Can you name 1 1st round QB with Alex starting record that got a 7th year to boot? Tim Couch only got what 4 or 5... Russell only got 3... Leaf only got 1.. Carr still in the league,but is a back up now on the 49ers and no chance of starting.. Yet we keep going to the well every year hoping for some thing that's not there!
Al Bundy as an Alex hater! Love it! Perfect!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.

Here another thing... Can you name 1 1st round QB with Alex starting record that got a 7th year to boot? Tim Couch only got what 4 or 5... Russell only got 3... Leaf only got 1.. Carr still in the league,but is a back up now on the 49ers and no chance of starting.. Yet we keep going to the well every year hoping for some thing that's not there!

I can't name one the past 20 years. It's embarrassing a bust could have a 7-8 year career here.

Tim Couch was only given 5 years even after he lead his team to a playoff berth. Alex hasnt and people want to give him a 7th year. Simply baffling.

HOnestly the only issue i have is cant we stop comparing him to anyone. I mean I dont think he's couch, russell, leaf, or carr. I got nutin against you, and like i always say he can pick Ronald McDonald, and if Harbaugh thinks he can work with him, then so be it.

My thing is, u cant really think it's a coincidence that he does see sumthin. It's just when someone doesnt see what we see, then we get upset. I mean lets say Smith passed for 300yds 2 tds, and 1 int. U will have those that say 300yds, and 2td should be enough, and then you'd have those that focus on the one INT. If we have a coach that feels he should focus more on the td's and less on the int, then who are either of us to say he's wrong.

I just think we should stop getting all emotional and s**t either way. If he's back then fine, and i hope he excells, and if not then good luck to him wherever he goes. But i mean we gotta stop gettin pissed because maybe an actual coach or what have you, sees something, that either we as fans just cant see, or in some ways, what many may refuse to see.

Either way, just give me a damn QB, and lets get the offense gelling. Or at least as much as we can do whether or not there is a CBA

Tim Couch was only given 5 years even after he lead his team to a playoff berth. Alex hasnt and people want to give him a 7th year. Simply baffling.

Yet, people wonder why I'm so negative about this upcoming year... I've seen the Alex Smith show... It's a failure... So why should I or others like me have high hopes for next year... When were just getting the same deal. lol
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
God I hope Baalke vetoes Harbaugh on this decision. Enough is enough, even if we have to start a rookie.

No...I hope Baalke & Harbaugh sit & seriously go over EVERYTHING. They need to be together & on the same page here.

Another thing that kills me is the fact that Alex enthusiasts constantly point at a bad OLine, and a lack of weapons as the reasons that he hasnt played well. Well what about other QBs who were top picks and played well? Wouldnt it be logical to say that those players went to teams with problems too? ALL top picks go to crappy teams with problems. These teams have the top picks in the drafts or a reason. You are either Sam Bradford whose skills can overcome the teams faults, or you are Alex Smith (or Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, etc) whose lack of skills cant overcome the teams faults.

And what about other QB's that played behind these same lines with the same weapons in the same season but had better results?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Nes49:
God I hope Baalke vetoes Harbaugh on this decision. Enough is enough, even if we have to start a rookie.

No...I hope Baalke & Harbaugh sit & seriously go over EVERYTHING. They need to be together & on the same page here.

To me it seems like there is some difference in opinion on Alex with Baalke and Harbaugh.

Yet, people wonder why I'm so negative about this upcoming year... I've seen the Alex Smith show... It's a failure... So why should I or others like me have high hopes for next year... When were just getting the same deal. lol

But we have a new HC, and honestly I agree with you. WE shouldnt have high hopes on just giving a s**t about just Alex. So in that aspect u may not have high hopes. But if your a true fan, which like Alex Smith or not, u may be, you SHOULD have high hopes for the team. It's a 53 man roster and Alex is just one piece if that.

I mean we know he's gonna bring in another QB, via trade, F/A, or the draft. And we also know that there will be a competition whenever the full offseason does start. So how can u not be happy with that. I could see if he was saying, Smith will be back and is the starter, but we dont even know that yet.

If you mean to tell me, that from the hiring of Harbaugh, that u arent still excited about he and the coaches, and that just the talk of Alex takes away that feeling, then thats something u gotta work out with ur Alex feelings. Other than that, these are exciting times brotha.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Nes49:

To me it seems like there is some difference in opinion on Alex with Baalke and Harbaugh.

exactly what I see.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

And what about other QB's that played behind these same lines with the same weapons in the same season but had better results?

Something that Alex fans never have a realistic answer for. Its always because the "other team doesnt have film on our other QBs", or "we didnt make the playoffs, what is the difference," or my personal favorite "QBs dont have winning percentages."

At what point will a spade be called a spade rather than saying the rest of the cards in the hand is the reason it is a spade?
Share 49ersWebzone