There are 274 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i agree with the sentiment that kolb plus a second rd pick isn't an upgrade for alex. And even if he is, in this screwed up CBA yr, we need a guy running our O who knows the receivers, knows the plays,(altho we are going to run WCO), and for this one yr, i think alex is the better answer. I said differently during the season, but didn't think CBA would end up in a mud fight. Ergo, we go with a qB who knows the receivers, and a helluva coach who would make most qbs play better. Kolb isn't the answer for this yr only because of no OTAs, TCs, and PS. I now believe players union are gonna run this right up to the season opener, or maybe a game or 2 into the season. Giving back a bunch of dough has made them dig in their heels. Therefore the qb i felt had had his shot and needed to move on...ends up here one yr more...but only this yr.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I don't understand you guys. You say that we shouldn't look at Kolb's stats because he has not had enough time to get in a groove. Okay, if we are not supposed to look at his stats, then what the HELL are you looking at that causes you to think he is worth a 2nd round draft pick?

Watching him in game and seeing his good accuracy, pocket presence, touch, etc. And add in the fact he's been coached by one of the best.

Same goes for Alex with this dude. You can look at his 82 QB rating or his "great" redzone numbers, or you could watch him in game and see him throw inaccurate passes, stare down WRs before he throws to them, check down too early, not hit his targets in stride, not read the field, make poor decisions, turn the ball over, display poor pocket presence, refuse to take chances, show a lack of anticipation and generally just make mistakes.

Numbers can be part of the argument. But putting Alex's below average numbers aside, he just doesnt pass the eye test.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I don't understand you guys. You say that we shouldn't look at Kolb's stats because he has not had enough time to get in a groove. Okay, if we are not supposed to look at his stats, then what the HELL are you looking at that causes you to think he is worth a 2nd round draft pick?

Watching him in game and seeing his good accuracy, pocket presence, touch, etc. And add in the fact he's been coached by one of the best.

Same goes for Alex with this dude. You can look at his 82 QB rating or his "great" redzone numbers, or you could watch him in game and see him throw inaccurate passes, stare down WRs before he throws to them, check down too early, not hit his targets in stride, not read the field, make poor decisions, turn the ball over, display poor pocket presence, refuse to take chances, show a lack of anticipation and generally just make mistakes.

Numbers can be part of the argument. But putting Alex's below average numbers aside, he just doesnt pass the eye test.

i agree alex does not pass the eue test

the inaccurate passes he des need to work on and hitting his wr in stride

but checking down to early poor decisions ( i dont think he turns the ball over too much) and poor pocket presense is due to unfamiluraity with the system and lack of confidense in o line

he doesnt trust the o line and understandably so he takes a lot of hits one that shattered his shoulder before he is able to step up in pocket and take more chances he has to trust his o line again

i think mechanics are the biggest problem with him when it comes to accuracy we finally have a teacher since norv that can help him with that
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

but checking down to early poor decisions ( i dont think he turns the ball over too much) and poor pocket presense is due to unfamiluraity with the system and lack of confidense in o line

he doesnt trust the o line and understandably so he takes a lot of hits one that shattered his shoulder before he is able to step up in pocket and take more chances he has to trust his o line again

i think mechanics are the biggest problem with him when it comes to accuracy we finally have a teacher since norv that can help him with that

Harbaugh might be able to help Alex become more accurate and a better QB. But why hope our coach can turn a bad QB into an average one when using that same logic, he would be able to turn an average QB into a good one? Or even turn a good QB into a great one?
Eric Branch Eric_Branch

#49ers Jim Harbaugh on KNBR: "I like Alex (Smith). I like being around him. And I like what I see on tape."
Originally posted by highwayone:
**UPDATE: I just Googled this phrase: "beat a dead horse gif" and Alex Smith's picture showed up. I KID YOU NOT. TRY IT. FRICKING HILARIOUS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ..... YOU REALY REALY ARE MEAN....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GREETINGS FROM LIMA - PERU
Eric_Branch

Jim Harbaugh on KNBR on Alex Smith needing a fresh start or a "new place to be": "I say let that place be here."
Harbaugh would be best served by keeping A Smith, looking for the best FA available, and drafting a QB in the 3/4 rounds to groom.

Trading away picks would be an odd thing for a first year coach to do. They usually want to begin finding their players and filling the roster with guys suited for the system.

If CBA talks go into the fall this would be the best scenario and if the agreement were tomorrow it would still be the best situation. If Smith plays well next year then extend his contract and all is well with the world. If he does not, nothing gained, nothing lost because the team did the best the could in every avenue--FA, draft and current players.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Harbaugh would be best served by keeping A Smith, looking for the best FA available, and drafting a QB in the 3/4 rounds to groom.

Trading away picks would be an odd thing for a first year coach to do. They usually want to begin finding their players and filling the roster with guys suited for the system.

If CBA talks go into the fall this would be the best scenario and if the agreement were tomorrow it would still be the best situation. If Smith plays well next year then extend his contract and all is well with the world. If he does not, nothing gained, nothing lost because the team did the best the could in every avenue--FA, draft and current players.

Baalke and Harbaugh will be best served by searching high and low and kicking over every rock along the road to improve our QB depth chart via FA, TRADE and the draft. If that includes Smith and he doesn't mind coming back on a one year deal and knows the #1 job isn't guaranteed . . . that's .

There would be nothing odd about trading away a pick to become a better team no matter how long the regime has been in power.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric_Branch

Jim Harbaugh on KNBR on Alex Smith needing a fresh start or a "new place to be": "I say let that place be here."

Watching all of the Smith haters heads explode from this news certainly does add an enormous amount of entertainment...

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Baalke and Harbaugh will be best served by searching high and low and kicking over every rock along the road to improve our QB depth chart via FA, TRADE and the draft. If that includes Smith and he doesn't mind coming back on a one year deal and knows the #1 job isn't guaranteed . . . that's .

There would be nothing odd about trading away a pick to become a better team no matter how long the regime has been in power.

Have usually seen new coaches collect draft choices not trade them but agree that if they were offered a good player at a reasonable price they would likely take the deal. I was thinking of Kolb, Orton, etc. Not gifted players and not a sure upgrade from Smith. Johnson would be less expensive, as would some other young guys.

Plus, Baalke is in charge so Harbaugh may or may not have the ability to trade a high pick.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Harbaugh might be able to help Alex become more accurate and a better QB. But why hope our coach can turn a bad QB into an average one when using that same logic, he would be able to turn an average QB into a good one? Or even turn a good QB into a great one?

i dont think he can be just average i think he can be good or even great i know these are excuses ok but i mean look what hes gone through he is the type of qb (even college coach said so) that needs to learn the system before becoming effective which he hasnt he also needs an o line hes not vick or yound or big ben who can survive without an o line he has to have a pocket to be a good passer which he hasnt. Wheni watch game on average the pocket collapses before 4 seconds which isnt that much time if you look at brees manning brady their pockets can last up to 5 seconds before they pass the ball

again im not saying he is gonna be a good qb but i think he will be average at worst (which i think he already is) to a great one
I warned last year that I was concerned that the OL was going to be green and awkward and that it was going to cause problems. Sure enough, it did.

As to the coming year, I look forward to the Harbaugh influence, but I am again nervous about the OL. I know that coaching and scheme are supposed to help, but better OL coaches were supposed to help last year. If it did, it was almost transparent.
I warned last year that I was concerned that the OL was going to be green and awkward and that it was going to cause problems. Sure enough, it did.

As to the coming year, I look forward to the Harbaugh influence, but I am again nervous about the OL. I know that coaching and scheme are supposed to help, but better OL coaches were supposed to help last year. If it did, it was almost transparent.

we had a young group of ol iupati will be even more of a beast and davis will do good he got better as each game went by staley is solid heitman/baas will e a great C only problem is RG

Agree and would like to see a FA come in to compete at RG.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone