Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Kolb, IMO more upside. We pretty much now what Orton can do with a full season.

Alex Smith is better or on par with both Kolb and Orton. Kolb is the same age as Alex and has been groomed by coaches that know how to bring along QB's. Orton is 28 and didn't really get good until he was 27 or 28 playing under a coach who is good with QB's. Smith's numbers over the last 2 years have been on par or better than both Kolb and Orton. I think under Harbaugh he can get better. We also have to look at the fact that Smith was the best redzone QB in the NFL last year.

Mind = blown

Orton's numbers are far better than Alex's. He has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in the last 2 years and a QB rating 5 or so points higher. He also turned Brandon Lloyd (the guy who people called a bum) into a pro-bowler. Orton is far better than Alex.

Statistically Alex is better. That Dallas game at the end of the year really hurt Kolb's numbers whereas, Alex's game against the Cards really helped his numbers. But statistically, yes, Alex (with 60 games under his belt) had better numbers than Kolb (20 games experience). Thing is, I still think Kolb is better than Alex. He's more accurate, throws a far better deep ball, has better mechanics, footwork and can still be developed. The fact that he threw for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns against Atlanta shows me that there's something there. Then throwing for almost 400 against the SB champions the year before was impressive. Alex has never done this.

Anyways, you can make the argument that Alex is better when you look at their stats. But, if you compare them fairly. If you look at Alex's/Kolb's first 20 games. Who was better? I'd rather roll with Kolb, just wouldn't give up much for him as I don't think he's all that good.

Come on man are you comparing the surrounding cast of Kolb and Alex Smith from their first 20 games? Or even this years cast. Let's be real. Kolb hasn't shown that he is better than Alex Smith. He has had some good games and alot of bad ones. You don't like Alex as much because you see his weaknesses every week whereas Kolb's weaknesses are sitting on the bench. It is the classic backup QB siyndrome.

The reality is that Kolb might be better than Smith, but there is a real possibility that Kolb may be worse. If you can't look fairly at the mitigating factors in Smith's tenure with the 49ers then you aren't being reasonable or fair.

How else am I supposed to compare them? I'm not going to compare a guy with 20 games under his belt with a guy who's played 60. The only fair comparison is where they were their first 20 games. Kolb is far ahead. It doesn't matter how awful Alex's supporting cast was, he was NOT accurate and he still isn't accurate. You really think he'd be connecting on bombs to Deshaun?

Kolb reminds me of Alex if he went to Green Bay. He plays it safe and doesn't take as many chances. However, he's still pretty raw and can be developed. He looked better in College than Alex and I'd much rather give him a shot than Alex. I've seen enough of Alex to know I'm not interested in continuing with him. I've seen enough of Kolb to think he may be a viable option.

I don't believe that you have seen Kolb very much but I do believe that you have seen Alex plenty. Kolb has not shown anything. I watched almost every eagles game this year. It doesn't matter anyway.

And you are wrong about the comparison but I am sick of arguing with people who can't just lay all the chips on the table and call it how it is. I'm not trying to win some argument. All I would like to see is an evaluation that is not coming from an emotional standpoint. Take all the factors in to account fairly, and the only reason you want Kolb is because he is not Alex Smith. that is fine. I totally understand the sentiment, but don't try to prove that Kolb is better by his play. He certainly hasn't shown that at all with a much better situation.

Will you stop crying?

I think Kolb has shown ENOUGH for me to want to take a shot at him. Funny how every analyst is picking the 9ers to go after Kolb...I guess they just dislike Alex too, huh? Ask Philly fans if they'd take Alex over Kolb.

I think Kolb is better....you think Alex is...end of discussion.

I didn't say that I think Alex is better. I wasn't crying. Why bring that up? Does that make you feel better about your piss poor argument?

Will you post links of the analysts that are saying that?

Do you know a ton of philly fans to have the information that you are spewing?

You are just another ignorant fan who likes to rant without facts... sad really.

blah blah blah

It's a fact that Kolb had better numbers in his first 20 games than Alex did in his first 20. You cried and tried to make every excuse in the book as to why Kolb's numbers were better.

Don't talk about facts, then cry when they're presented to you.

Are you a teenager? I am going to try this one more time.

The problem is that you only presented SOME of the facts. That was my whole problem with your post. If you only present the facts or statistics that back up your point of view without honestly investigating all the facts then you aren't reliable. I was simply trying to point that out.

The way to measure statistics with any meaning is to use them when most or all variables are the same so that you can get an accurate reading. The variables between those two were not anywhere near the same. Even if you proved that Kolb really was a better player than Smith back then you would still have to prove that that that fact can be extrapolated to predict future success. I highly doubt it, but hey I would be open to hearing something like that if it was well researched.

A much more important statistic to use would have been their most recent performance. By that measure Alex Smith was slightly better, but neither were anything too special.

I would love it if you could respond with something intelligible, but I'm not holding my breath.

No one can prove what will happen in the future. WTF is wrong with you? I never even said Kolb would be good in the future. What I said was I was willing to give him a shot based on what he's done so far.
kevin kolb
this season he had 7 tds 7 int (7)
last season he had 4 td 3 int(5)
2008 season 0 td 4 int (6)

alex smith
this season he had 14 td 10 int (10)
last season he had 18 td 12 int (10)

and keep in mind kolb has had the better coach o line ill admit eagles arent that much better than the niners but they had stability and better targets
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Alex Smith is better or on par with both Kolb and Orton. Kolb is the same age as Alex and has been groomed by coaches that know how to bring along QB's. Orton is 28 and didn't really get good until he was 27 or 28 playing under a coach who is good with QB's. Smith's numbers over the last 2 years have been on par or better than both Kolb and Orton. I think under Harbaugh he can get better. We also have to look at the fact that Smith was the best redzone QB in the NFL last year.

Mind = blown

Orton's numbers are far better than Alex's. He has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in the last 2 years and a QB rating 5 or so points higher. He also turned Brandon Lloyd (the guy who people called a bum) into a pro-bowler. Orton is far better than Alex.

Statistically Alex is better. That Dallas game at the end of the year really hurt Kolb's numbers whereas, Alex's game against the Cards really helped his numbers. But statistically, yes, Alex (with 60 games under his belt) had better numbers than Kolb (20 games experience). Thing is, I still think Kolb is better than Alex. He's more accurate, throws a far better deep ball, has better mechanics, footwork and can still be developed. The fact that he threw for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns against Atlanta shows me that there's something there. Then throwing for almost 400 against the SB champions the year before was impressive. Alex has never done this.

Anyways, you can make the argument that Alex is better when you look at their stats. But, if you compare them fairly. If you look at Alex's/Kolb's first 20 games. Who was better? I'd rather roll with Kolb, just wouldn't give up much for him as I don't think he's all that good.

Come on man are you comparing the surrounding cast of Kolb and Alex Smith from their first 20 games? Or even this years cast. Let's be real. Kolb hasn't shown that he is better than Alex Smith. He has had some good games and alot of bad ones. You don't like Alex as much because you see his weaknesses every week whereas Kolb's weaknesses are sitting on the bench. It is the classic backup QB siyndrome.

The reality is that Kolb might be better than Smith, but there is a real possibility that Kolb may be worse. If you can't look fairly at the mitigating factors in Smith's tenure with the 49ers then you aren't being reasonable or fair.

How else am I supposed to compare them? I'm not going to compare a guy with 20 games under his belt with a guy who's played 60. The only fair comparison is where they were their first 20 games. Kolb is far ahead. It doesn't matter how awful Alex's supporting cast was, he was NOT accurate and he still isn't accurate. You really think he'd be connecting on bombs to Deshaun?

Kolb reminds me of Alex if he went to Green Bay. He plays it safe and doesn't take as many chances. However, he's still pretty raw and can be developed. He looked better in College than Alex and I'd much rather give him a shot than Alex. I've seen enough of Alex to know I'm not interested in continuing with him. I've seen enough of Kolb to think he may be a viable option.

I don't believe that you have seen Kolb very much but I do believe that you have seen Alex plenty. Kolb has not shown anything. I watched almost every eagles game this year. It doesn't matter anyway.

And you are wrong about the comparison but I am sick of arguing with people who can't just lay all the chips on the table and call it how it is. I'm not trying to win some argument. All I would like to see is an evaluation that is not coming from an emotional standpoint. Take all the factors in to account fairly, and the only reason you want Kolb is because he is not Alex Smith. that is fine. I totally understand the sentiment, but don't try to prove that Kolb is better by his play. He certainly hasn't shown that at all with a much better situation.

Will you stop crying?

I think Kolb has shown ENOUGH for me to want to take a shot at him. Funny how every analyst is picking the 9ers to go after Kolb...I guess they just dislike Alex too, huh? Ask Philly fans if they'd take Alex over Kolb.

I didn't say that I think Alex is better. I wasn't crying. Why bring that up? Does that make you feel better about your piss poor argument?

You are just another ignorant fan who likes to rant without facts... sad really.

blah blah blah

It's a fact that Kolb had better numbers in his first 20 games than Alex did in his first 20. You cried and tried to make every excuse in the book as to why Kolb's numbers were better.

The problem is that you only presented SOME of the facts. That was my whole problem with your post. If you only present the facts or statistics that back up your point of view without honestly investigating all the facts then you aren't reliable. I was simply trying to point that out.

The way to measure statistics with any meaning is to use them when most or all variables are the same so that you can get an accurate reading. The variables between those two were not anywhere near the same. Even if you proved that Kolb really was a better player than Smith back then you would still have to prove that that that fact can be extrapolated to predict future success. I highly doubt it, but hey I would be open to hearing something like that if it was well researched.

A much more important statistic to use would have been their most recent performance. By that measure Alex Smith was slightly better, but neither were anything too special.

I would love it if you could respond with something intelligible, but I'm not holding my breath.

No one can prove what will happen in the future. WTF is wrong with you? I never even said Kolb would be good in the future. What I said was I was willing to give him a shot based on what he's done so far.
kevin kolb

alex smith

and keep in mind kolb has had the better coach o line ill admit eagles arent that much better than the niners but they had stability and better targets

Dude, don't you understand that a QB needs to play in a lot of games consecutively to get in his groove and rhythm? You can't expect to put a young QB in the line up every now and then for spot duty and expect him to be efficient. IMO, Kolb has shown quite a bit in his ample playing time that shows that he has potential to be a franchise QB. Only player in NFL history to throw for 300+ yards in his first two starts. I know he hasn't played much and is no sure thing, but how can you even count his 2008 season in which he had 4 ints? He barely played, and was thrown into games, I'm guessing when they were down by a lot or when they were up by a lot.

Can't expect a QB to fully function until he gets into his groove after playing in atleast a season consecutively.

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

You don't get it. You really don't.

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

You don't get it. You really don't.

Lol, same thing I was thinking.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

Dude, don't you understand that a QB needs to play in a lot of games consecutively to get in his groove and rhythm? You can't expect to put a young QB in the line up every now and then for spot duty and expect him to be efficient. IMO, Kolb has shown quite a bit in his ample playing time that shows that he has potential to be a franchise QB. Only player in NFL history to throw for 300+ yards in his first two starts. I know he hasn't played much and is no sure thing, but how can you even count his 2008 season in which he had 4 ints? He barely played, and was thrown into games, I'm guessing when they were down by a lot or when they were up by a lot.

Can't expect a QB to fully function until he gets into his groove after playing in atleast a season consecutively.

Didn't you know? Alex gets all the excuses and other QB's don't. Why do you think he compared Kolb's 1st, 2nd and 3rd seasons to Alex's 5th and 6th seasons?

Didn't you know? Alex gets all the excuses and other QB's don't. Why do you think he compared Kolb's 1st, 2nd and 3rd seasons to Alex's 5th and 6th seasons?

lol so true.
[/code]
**UPDATE: I just Googled this phrase: "beat a dead horse gif" and Alex Smith's picture showed up. I KID YOU NOT. TRY IT. FRICKING HILARIOUS!

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

klb was not a rookie in 2008 he got to sit behind and learn from mcnabb and andy reid he had good wr targets a stable system great OC im not saying alex is better than kolb

i am saying that reding a 2nd pick for kolb would not benifit the team his production value is not much better than smiths

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

i understand that qbs need to be played in games consecutivly and get in a groove and rythem but alex never had a chance to get in the "groove"either he had to relearn system after system and playbook after playbook

and i know as of now kolb> smith now and potential

and thrown into games really? he had a solid team great coaching excellent teachers

alex was thrown into games no o line a coach who made him play through 3rd degree shoulder injury on his throwing arm no o line (with the exception of smiley) and the most consistant wr was arnaz battle for most of his career

again i want to make it clear that i do think kolb is better than smith now and has a better potential to become better but with proper teaching alex may be better with the right teacher

i think kolb is the guy who doesnt need a teacher to be good he is more of a playmaker and makes things happen where alex needs to be in the proper system (WCO or spread) and have a good teacher to be good

i just dont see kolb as much of an upgrade over smith for a 2nd round or above

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

i understand that qbs need to be played in games consecutivly and get in a groove and rythem but alex never had a chance to get in the "groove"either he had to relearn system after system and playbook after playbook

and thrown into games really? he had a solid team great coaching excellent teachers

alex was thrown into games no o line a coach who made him play through 3rd degree shoulder injury on his throwing arm no o line (with the exception of smiley) and the most consistant wr was arnaz battle for most of his career

again i want to make it clear that i do think kolb is better than smith now and has a better potential to become better but with proper teaching alex may be better with the right teacher

i think kolb is the guy who doesnt need a teacher to be good he is more of a playmaker and makes things happen where alex needs to be in the proper system (WCO or spread) and have a good teacher to be good

I guess you and I have different definitions of 'getting in a groove'.

Alex got to get in his rhythm b/c he played an entire season in 2006, and like 11 straight games last year. Kolb played what, 2 straight games in 2009, and 3 straight this year?
I don't understand you guys. You say that we shouldn't look at Kolb's stats because he has not had enough time to get in a groove. Okay, if we are not supposed to look at his stats, then what the HELL are you looking at that causes you to think he is worth a 2nd round draft pick?
Originally posted by excelsior:
I don't understand you guys. You say that we shouldn't look at Kolb's stats because he has not had enough time to get in a groove. Okay, if we are not supposed to look at his stats, then what the HELL are you looking at that causes you to think he is worth a 2nd round draft pick?

Watching him in game and seeing his good accuracy, pocket presence, touch, etc. And add in the fact he's been coached by one of the best.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by highwayone:
**UPDATE: I just Googled this phrase: "beat a dead horse gif" and Alex Smith's picture showed up. I KID YOU NOT. TRY IT. FRICKING HILARIOUS!

Mind = blown

Will you stop crying?

blah blah blah

kevin kolb

alex smith

I guess you and I have different definitions of 'getting in a groove'.

Alex got to get in his rhythm b/c he played an entire season in 2006, and like 11 straight games last year. Kolb played what, 2 straight games in 2009, and 3 straight this year?

i guess we do and thats understandable

u see it more as experiance

i see it as getting to know the system and playing in it

i can see it both ways and i understand we both have different views and im not saying yours is wrong cause its not but i think its more important for a qb to learn the system effectively thats when a qb will be his best

its very rare for qbs to just come to a team learn a new systeem and do good only qb i can think of is favre and vick. manning brady brees rodgers they all leanred the same system for their whole careers they know in depth what they have to do and know their system like its their back of their hand which is why they are confident in pocket and know who theyre gonna throw to under pressure they know what to do how to do it because they have been learning same playbook and system for last 5 years
Share 49ersWebzone