LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Which coach was worse?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which coach was worse?

If Erikson had a reliable kicker the team would have made the playoffs his first year. The second year the organization threw in the towel. Looking back on the Nolan years if McCarthy or Turner had stayed the results would've been completely different. He even brought in Martz but it was too late. Singletary on the other hand had no clue, he dumped Martz because he would not work with anyone that didn't have his vision (or lack there of). Singletary and Nolan gave a strong impression but the coaching IQ was lacking. Nolan could get another shot but Singletary will have to hope that Ditka gets a franchise if he ever wants another head coaching position.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Singletary, because he inherited a far better roster, but got nothing out of it. He was a horrible tactician, basically a caveman masquerading as a head coach.

Both were horrible in press conferences. Nolan spoke in riddles and code, Sing talked tough and always had to watch the film.

this
Singletary was worse. Nolan took over a team with far less talent and he actually had a winning season.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Singletary was worse. Nolan took over a team with far less talent and he actually had a winning season.

Which season was that?
I think Mike Nolan.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by blm7754:

Which season was that?

Singletary hands down. He didn't offer anything to the team
Singletary!

Not only the worse Niner coach, he is the worst coach I have ever witnessed.

Nolan's mistake was hiring stepping stone coordinators.
This is like 2 dudes going to a swap meet with herpes and parkinson's, trying figure out who will have it better in long-run.
I think those of you who are saying Nolan was worse is kidding yourselves. Singletary is by far the worst of the two and is probably the worse coach going back into the 70's. Yes , Singletary was worse than Ericksen.

Nolan came into a bad situation and was not a good fit for the team at the time he was hired. Defensive coaches can succeed in the NFL but the team has to have an established offense and QB. This is why Pittsburgh and Tomlin sicceeded, Ben was entrenched as the starting QB and they have an identity on offense. Nolan knows his x's and o's but failed to establish an offense that was consistent, alot of that has to do with the changes at OC every year.

Singletary just doesn't have x's and o's knowledge. He can coach the LB position and the techniques there but outside of that has no knowledge of how to set up a defense with offensive playcalling and vice versa. He was a great motivator but lost this with time because players failed to buy in to what he was saying. He couldn't make adjustments or refused to do so when it was needed. You have to be flexible and not stubborn. Sing was extremely stubborn and that led to his downfall.

Both these guys have set the organization back 10 years, considering it will take 3 years to develop a rookie QB with proper coaching.

Singletary was Horrific, and worse yet, was that he didn't have a clue about how bad he was.
Originally posted by 9erB4Us:
Singletary was Horrific, and worse yet, was that he didn't have a clue about how bad he was.
Originally posted by highway49:
Erickson....

Far and away.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
i voted for NoWIN, Sing a close 2nd

Singletary was absolutely clueless. Sadly, Nolan is the better coach.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
My heads still spins that we hired Singletary. By far the biggest bag of hot air to head coach.
Share 49ersWebzone