There are 274 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Stan:
Based on the central character in the Eminem song of the same name, a "stan" is an overzealous maniacal fan for any celebrity or athlete.

A Typical Kobe Bryant Stan would say something like.
"Kobe Bryant scored 81 points last night. Kobe could beat God himself in a game of 1 on 1 hoops. To hell with Michael Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain, they arent on Kobe's level!"
Originally posted by JayBee:
Stan:
Based on the central character in the Eminem song of the same name, a "stan" is an overzealous maniacal fan for any celebrity or athlete.

A Typical Kobe Bryant Stan would say something like.
"Kobe Bryant scored 81 points last night. Kobe could beat God himself in a game of 1 on 1 hoops. To hell with Michael Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain, they arent on Kobe's level!"

I take it back. I don't care.
It's pretty sad how some will make an excuse for every Alex failure.

The OL sucks
Moran cut off his route
The tipped ball was on the receiver
The last pass of the game was a hail mary
He was getting booed

Like, I've never heard this many excuses made for any other player in the history of the NFL. None. Cuz at the end of the day, the stats do not include an "excuse" factor.....or a "not my fault" stat. If you looked at 2 potential hires...one had a 2.5 GPA and the other had a 3.8 GPA. Who are you going to hire? The guy with the 3.8? Or the guy with the 2.5 and a boatload of excuses? Excuses are for losers, period.

My question to the Alex fans. Why aren't you consistent with your excuses? Why are Alex's stats cherry picked? Why is everything someone elses fault.....but other QB's just "suck". Why do you solely look at stats when it comes to other QBs? Why do you only evaluate other QB's based on their stats? Why don't you break down their stats? Perhaps if you did, you'd be able to use the same excuses as you have for Alex.

It's annoying.

Alex stan: "Alex is better than McNabb, his stats are better"
Voice of reason: "McNabb had an off year, Alex has had 6 off years"
Alex stan: "McNabb sucks"
Voice of reason: "OK, Ben Rothlesburger is a far superior QB to Alex"
Alex stan: "But Ben has weapons and great coaching"
Voice of reason: "OK, but if you look at his stats, he is the better QB"
Alex stan: "It's not all about stats, Alex has had tipped balls, bad route running, awful playcalling, etc...so add 15 points to his QB rating which would put him ahead of Big Ben. Then when you consider Alex's super play in week 17 then Alex was a Pro-Bowl caliber QB...Of course you'd have to excuse the games against KC, Atlanta, Seattle and San Diego....the team simply wasn't good. No other QB would be able to put up better numbers.
Voice of reason:

I hope Alex starts next year. It'll finally be the end of all the excuses.

Jay Bee--there are several things you are doing that can be avoided and will help with civility.

1. You are making a mistake that I have made in the past by lumping all defenders into the same person, just as I use to lump all detractors into the same person. Then it's easy to show contradictions in their logic.

2. Cherry picking is a way of editing and is usually used to support a persons view. So naturally the poster is not going to go out of his way to list items that do not support his or her point of view. Editing oneself is necessary or you would need to detail Smith's entire career every time you post about him.

3. Consistency through an exchange between two posters might seem illogical if you hadn't read the whole thread. I pointed out a game where Ryan had a worse rating than Smith against NO. He had another game that was better but that was not the point I was making. He still had a worse game. Smith had a higher rating than almost any QB for one game and that demonstrates his ability to have a very good game. I also pointed out that Smith's inconsistency was still a problem.

4. You continually use the word "excuse" in your posts to address any comment that points to this being a team game. You seem to believe that QB play can be viewed separately and that all else is not related. When someone points out bad route running by WRs, you say that is an excuse for Smith throwing badly, holding the ball too long or throwing it away too often. What other options does the guy have? Run the ball? I guess that would work sometimes and as the video 80sbaby posted, he did run for a first down on occasions. Alex was hit hard a number of times by DLinemen or LBs who came unblocked. Why is that an excuse for Smith? Watched a hit on Montana last night and cringed because it pretty much ended his career with the 9ers. Excuse? Broken shoulder...excuse?

Most of my posts have been forthright in admitting Smith has not played up to my expectations. He has not developed consistency and I do not know if he possesses the intangibles to play the position at a high enough level. What bothers me about your posts is that you do not allow for any chance that Smith could develop into a good QB. But there I go lumping you in with other Smith detractors...perhaps you have and I just do not recall.

Have a good day!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM ]
Alex Smith stinks to high heaven.

/thread
Out trolling this morning?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Every morning
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Every morning

Caught a big one this morning! It's pretty dull out there in 9er land.

The OL sucks
Moran cut off his route
The tipped ball was on the receiver
The last pass of the game was a hail mary
He was getting booed

Like, I've never heard this many excuses made for any other player in the history of the NFL. None. Cuz at the end of the day, the stats do not include an "excuse" factor.....or a "not my fault" stat. If you looked at 2 potential hires...one had a 2.5 GPA and the other had a 3.8 GPA. Who are you going to hire? The guy with the 3.8? Or the guy with the 2.5 and a boatload of excuses? Excuses are for losers, period.

My question to the Alex fans. Why aren't you consistent with your excuses? Why are Alex's stats cherry picked? Why is everything someone elses fault.....but other QB's just "suck". Why do you solely look at stats when it comes to other QBs? Why do you only evaluate other QB's based on their stats? Why don't you break down their stats? Perhaps if you did, you'd be able to use the same excuses as you have for Alex.

It's annoying.

Alex stan: "Alex is better than McNabb, his stats are better"
Voice of reason: "McNabb had an off year, Alex has had 6 off years"
Alex stan: "McNabb sucks"
Voice of reason: "OK, Ben Rothlesburger is a far superior QB to Alex"
Alex stan: "But Ben has weapons and great coaching"
Voice of reason: "OK, but if you look at his stats, he is the better QB"
Alex stan: "It's not all about stats, Alex has had tipped balls, bad route running, awful playcalling, etc...so add 15 points to his QB rating which would put him ahead of Big Ben. Then when you consider Alex's super play in week 17 then Alex was a Pro-Bowl caliber QB...Of course you'd have to excuse the games against KC, Atlanta, Seattle and San Diego....the team simply wasn't good. No other QB would be able to put up better numbers.
Voice of reason:

I hope Alex starts next year. It'll finally be the end of all the excuses.

Jay Bee--there are several things you are doing that can be avoided and will help with civility.

1. You are making a mistake that I have made in the past by lumping all defenders into the same person, just as I use to lump all detractors into the same person. Then it's easy to show contradictions in their logic.

2. Cherry picking is a way of editing and is usually used to support a persons view. So naturally the poster is not going to go out of his way to list items that do not support his or her point of view. Editing oneself is necessary or you would need to detail Smith's entire career every time you post about him.

3. Consistency through an exchange between two posters might seem illogical if you hadn't read the whole thread. I pointed out a game where Ryan had a worse rating than Smith against NO. He had another game that was better but that was not the point I was making. He still had a worse game. Smith had a higher rating than almost any QB for one game and that demonstrates his ability to have a very good game. I also pointed out that Smith's inconsistency was still a problem.

4. You continually use the word "excuse" in your posts to address any comment that points to this being a team game. You seem to believe that QB play can be viewed separately and that all else is not related. When someone points out bad route running by WRs, you say that is an excuse for Smith throwing badly, holding the ball too long or throwing it away too often. What other options does the guy have? Run the ball? I guess that would work sometimes and as the video 80sbaby posted, he did run for a first down on occasions. Alex was hit hard a number of times by DLinemen or LBs who came unblocked. Why is that an excuse for Smith? Watched a hit on Montana last night and cringed because it pretty much ended his career with the 9ers. Excuse? Broken shoulder...excuse?

Most of my posts have been forthright in admitting Smith has not played up to my expectations. He has not developed consistency and I do not know if he possesses the intangibles to play the position at a high enough level. What bothers me about your posts is that you do not allow for any chance that Smith could develop into a good QB. But there I go lumping you in with other Smith detractors...perhaps you have and I just do not recall.

Have a good day!

In the very first sentence I said "It's pretty sad how some will make an excuse for every Alex failure."

If it doesn't apply to you, then let it go. You seem pretty defensive for no reason.

Edit: It's not that I think Alex can develop into a good QB. I frankly don't care. I just want to start over with a new QB. 6 years in...and I still don't feel confident in his abilities. I don't care who is at fault, I want a NEW QUARTERBACK! Damn near any QB can be good with the right amount of time, excellent situation, weapons, etc... The problem is, it's rare that a QB gets this much time to prove themselves.

Yes, Alex has had good games....so has David Carr, Matt Moore, Jamarcus Russell. THE ISSUE IS CONSISTENCY! Alex is not a consistent QB...just like the others I named.
[ Edited by JayBee on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Every morning

Caught a big one this morning! It's pretty dull out there in 9er land.

I feel you. Baseball can't come soon enough.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Well, what would you suggest, LambdaChi?

That we all just agree to disagree and move on.

Oh and post funny pictures.

• dj43
...and on the other side, every failure this now wretched franchise has suffered has been the fault of Alex Smith. NEVER is anything ever discussed by some other than Alex Smith. Upon the suggestion that fans should watch something else other than the guy with the ball in his hands, they are ignored. If anyone even attempts to discuss the shortcomings of the coaches and other players, they are criticized as only making excuses. That is pretty sad.
Originally posted by dj43:
...and on the other side, every failure this now wretched franchise has suffered has been the fault of Alex Smith. NEVER is anything ever discussed by some other than Alex Smith. Upon the suggestion that fans should watch something else other than the guy with the ball in his hands, they are ignored. If anyone even attempts to discuss the shortcomings of the coaches and other players, they are criticized as only making excuses. That is pretty sad.

They and some sure do a lot of stuff.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by dj43:

They and some sure do a lot of stuff.
It's all they have to do.
Aside from a few cherry-picked, elite QBs... who the heck IS truly consistent?

Just look at Drew Brees' season game to game... go ahead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=2580

Some really nice QBRs, sure... but there are 70's and 60's mixed in also. Is that the definition of consistent. We can say he has been more consistent... maybe... as clearly Raye had Alex and that offense pretty mucked up early on... but look at the rest...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=8416

Aside from the debacle at SD, the QBR down the stretch looks pretty consistent... not consistently fantastic, but not too shabby either.

QBs with better personnel and coaching around them will generally be better with consistency, no?

Let's look at Matt Ryan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=11237

Some good games mixed with some 60's and 70's.... is that consistent?

In the very first sentence I said "It's pretty sad how some will make an excuse for every Alex failure."

If it doesn't apply to you, then let it go. You seem pretty defensive for no reason.

Edit: It's not that I think Alex can develop into a good QB. I frankly don't care. I just want to start over with a new QB. 6 years in...and I still don't feel confident in his abilities. I don't care who is at fault, I want a NEW QUARTERBACK! Damn near any QB can be good with the right amount of time, excellent situation, weapons, etc... The problem is, it's rare that a QB gets this much time to prove themselves.

Yes, Alex has had good games....so has David Carr, Matt Moore, Jamarcus Russell. THE ISSUE IS CONSISTENCY! Alex is not a consistent QB...just like the others I named.

Many of your examples were direct quotes from my post(s), so I thought you were being specific. My mistake! The "I frankly don't care." just want him gone comment closes an option that Harbaugh evidently thinks might be the best, and I want what is best for the 9ers...even if he thought Car was the best...shudder!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone