There are 226 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My bad, double post.

Well, I do not see him fold under pressure. He has taken some big time hits this year and courage is not a factor as far as I am concerned. As far as rolling out and throwing the ball away, it is my opinion that this is coaching. He is being told--look for A or throw the ball away if option is not there. At Utah he rolled right and threw incredibly accurate passes down the field...even as he was being hit.

Nolan's idea of offense was, "Don't screw up." What a depressing coaching move. Typical defense guy talking about QBing. Singletary came in and said don't worry we are going to run the ball down their throats. When that did not happen, Smith was left to try and figure out plan B. When they went to the spread his play improved. When Johnson took over and started telling Smith to think pass first, he improved. That's the way I saw it.

Once again, you are assuming here. You have absolutely no proof of this.

Assuming? I have watched him hold the ball until a 320 pound DLman lands on top of him. He didn't duck, dive, run...he stood there and tried to find a receiver. That is not an assumption, it is something we all saw. Nolan was quoted as saying that he told the offense that the D was so good that the offense just needed not to screw up. Again, not an assumption. Singletary told the world that the 9ers were not trying to fool anyone but were going to play smash mouth football. One of our members actually kept track and just about every first down play was a run up the middle...not for just one game, but every game. Again, not an assumption.

After Johnson took over for Raye the O opened up and Smith looked very free wheeling. Once again, not assumption. By the last game of the year Smith was in sync and his QB rating was what? 117 or so? So how do I see what I see? With my eyes.

You're assuming on the point about the coaches telling him to play cautious. Thats his nature. If you're a real QB and not a robot, you will fire the ball to the open receiver when you see one. When you're on the field, that's all you think about, or should be thinking about.

And anyway, when did he have the 117 rating, again? Oh yeah, against the Cardinals. Remind me of a time he put up big numbers against a good team...

Once again, in Utah he was a free wheeling QB. Did you watch any of his games? He ran quite a bit and threw out of sprints and roll outs. He was always on the move. So, Nolan, in his infinate wisdom, decided that he should stand behind the center like a statue and throw on third and long. Brilliant! Now, can he regain the movement he had in college? Don't know. But it will be fun to see if Harbaugh talks him into staying.

Edit: NO...second game of the season? Rating wasn't as good but I thought he played well. And then Seattle with a rating of 130. I know, not a good team but they did win a playoff game so...

Edit Two: Correction--his rating rating against Az was 107 not 117.

NO has a s**t defense. THey allowed 41 points to SEA in the playoffs and sucked all season long. So basically, his top 3 games were against teams with s**t defenses, which is a fact.

All three teams you listed had much better coaching than the 9ers and yet Smith was able to have good games against that superior game planning. NO held Pitt to ten points so Smith must be a much better QB than Big Ben? Stats are wonderful things!

They have s**tty defenses. Period. DOesn't matter who their coaches are b/c we all know the Hawks and the Cards have some of the worst defenses in the league. Please don't even try to deny that.

Link?

Just checked NFL.com for you. NO listed as #4 defense.

Well, I stand corrected. But what did he have that game, a rating of 82 and 2 costly picks? (I know, I know, they weren't his fault).

But what about the other two teams, seattle and az? You obviously forgot about that, right?

I left them out to give you a come back! Glad you stand corrected though, as Smith threw a late hail Mary, if I remember correctly that was intercepted and Crabtree played volleyball with another. Please don't say that tipped balls are the QB's fault, because Crabtree tipped balls that were in his bread basket...not too high to catch. And as Jerry Rice said once, "If I can get a finger on it, it's mine!"

Just for fun, let's look at how some other really bad QBs did against NO.

Big Ben 66.8
Ryan 77.9
Favre 71.7

A young guy, old guy and in his prime guy all had worse games than Smith against NO. But, I know, stats don't mean anything and you know what you know.

You obviously don't remember what happened that game. The first INT was b/c Alex tried throwing an easy pass to gore in the flat but it was a bit too far out for Gore. Gore, who is obviously not very tall, tried to reach out for it, but couldn't and tipped it up for an INT. I'd say that one is both of them's fault, but I'm leaning towards Smith.

The other one, WAS NOT CRABTREES FAULT. It was tipped at the line and went into the air and some Saints guy came down with it. Stop assuming that every time Smith had an INT which you don't want to acknowledge, it was Crabtree's fault.

Hmm...must have been another game I was thinking of. Have you any comments on my main points about those other terrible QBs who played poorly against the Saints?
My bad, double post.

Well, I do not see him fold under pressure. He has taken some big time hits this year and courage is not a factor as far as I am concerned. As far as rolling out and throwing the ball away, it is my opinion that this is coaching. He is being told--look for A or throw the ball away if option is not there. At Utah he rolled right and threw incredibly accurate passes down the field...even as he was being hit.

Nolan's idea of offense was, "Don't screw up." What a depressing coaching move. Typical defense guy talking about QBing. Singletary came in and said don't worry we are going to run the ball down their throats. When that did not happen, Smith was left to try and figure out plan B. When they went to the spread his play improved. When Johnson took over and started telling Smith to think pass first, he improved. That's the way I saw it.

Assuming? I have watched him hold the ball until a 320 pound DLman lands on top of him. He didn't duck, dive, run...he stood there and tried to find a receiver. That is not an assumption, it is something we all saw. Nolan was quoted as saying that he told the offense that the D was so good that the offense just needed not to screw up. Again, not an assumption. Singletary told the world that the 9ers were not trying to fool anyone but were going to play smash mouth football. One of our members actually kept track and just about every first down play was a run up the middle...not for just one game, but every game. Again, not an assumption.

After Johnson took over for Raye the O opened up and Smith looked very free wheeling. Once again, not assumption. By the last game of the year Smith was in sync and his QB rating was what? 117 or so? So how do I see what I see? With my eyes.

You're assuming on the point about the coaches telling him to play cautious. Thats his nature. If you're a real QB and not a robot, you will fire the ball to the open receiver when you see one. When you're on the field, that's all you think about, or should be thinking about.

And anyway, when did he have the 117 rating, again? Oh yeah, against the Cardinals. Remind me of a time he put up big numbers against a good team...

Once again, in Utah he was a free wheeling QB. Did you watch any of his games? He ran quite a bit and threw out of sprints and roll outs. He was always on the move. So, Nolan, in his infinate wisdom, decided that he should stand behind the center like a statue and throw on third and long. Brilliant! Now, can he regain the movement he had in college? Don't know. But it will be fun to see if Harbaugh talks him into staying.

Edit: NO...second game of the season? Rating wasn't as good but I thought he played well. And then Seattle with a rating of 130. I know, not a good team but they did win a playoff game so...

NO has a s**t defense. THey allowed 41 points to SEA in the playoffs and sucked all season long. So basically, his top 3 games were against teams with s**t defenses, which is a fact.

All three teams you listed had much better coaching than the 9ers and yet Smith was able to have good games against that superior game planning. NO held Pitt to ten points so Smith must be a much better QB than Big Ben? Stats are wonderful things!

They have s**tty defenses. Period. DOesn't matter who their coaches are b/c we all know the Hawks and the Cards have some of the worst defenses in the league. Please don't even try to deny that.

Link?

Well, I stand corrected. But what did he have that game, a rating of 82 and 2 costly picks? (I know, I know, they weren't his fault).

But what about the other two teams, seattle and az? You obviously forgot about that, right?

I left them out to give you a come back! Glad you stand corrected though, as Smith threw a late hail Mary, if I remember correctly that was intercepted and Crabtree played volleyball with another. Please don't say that tipped balls are the QB's fault, because Crabtree tipped balls that were in his bread basket...not too high to catch. And as Jerry Rice said once, "If I can get a finger on it, it's mine!"

Big Ben 66.8
Ryan 77.9
Favre 71.7

A young guy, old guy and in his prime guy all had worse games than Smith against NO. But, I know, stats don't mean anything and you know what you know.

You obviously don't remember what happened that game. The first INT was b/c Alex tried throwing an easy pass to gore in the flat but it was a bit too far out for Gore. Gore, who is obviously not very tall, tried to reach out for it, but couldn't and tipped it up for an INT. I'd say that one is both of them's fault, but I'm leaning towards Smith.

The other one, WAS NOT CRABTREES FAULT. It was tipped at the line and went into the air and some Saints guy came down with it. Stop assuming that every time Smith had an INT which you don't want to acknowledge, it was Crabtree's fault.

Hmm...must have been another game I was thinking of. Have you any comments on my main points about those other terrible QBs who played poorly against the Saints?

I find these little handpicked stats of other QBs and Alex against the same thing pretty hilarious. Ok, Alex Smith performed better than those other three against the Saints. But does that mean he is a better QB, or even close to those 3? nope. If I had to have one of these four QBs play against the Saints for, lets say, an NFC Championship, I wouldn't hang my hopes on Alex Smith. I bet any sane person would choose Big Ben or Favre.

And I LOVE how you didn't put in Ryan's other game against the Saints this year where he had a 108 rating.
While you guys are all engaged in this Alex Smith talk, I wanna know who are the ones that voted for Jim Druckenmiller and Ken Dorsey
My bad, double post.

Link?

Big Ben 66.8
Ryan 77.9
Favre 71.7

I find these little handpicked stats of other QBs and Alex against the same thing pretty hilarious. Ok, Alex Smith performed better than those other three against the Saints. But does that mean he is a better QB, or even close to those 3? nope. If I had to have one of these four QBs play against the Saints for, lets say, an NFC Championship, I wouldn't hang my hopes on Alex Smith. I bet any sane person would choose Big Ben or Favre.

And I LOVE how you didn't put in Ryan's other game against the Saints this year where he had a 108 rating.

Hey, I'm not going to do your job for you! Work a little. Hand picked stats that show your hand picked stats are not meaningful. Smith did better against the Saints than those three but you call that hand picked? Accurate is what I call them.
My bad, double post.

Link?

Big Ben 66.8
Ryan 77.9
Favre 71.7

Hey, I'm not going to do your job for you! Work a little. Hand picked stats that show your hand picked stats are not meaningful. Smith did better against the Saints than those three but you call that hand picked? Accurate is what I call them.

Are you that stubborn? Did you not read my post about Ryan having a 108 rating against the Saints? Meaning that Alex DID NOT have a better rating than him. Meaning that your argument is NOT ACCURATE. Or did you just choose to ignore that b/c it doesn't meet your agenda?
Bono and it's not close. Grbac in a distant second then probably Hill, Rattay, and the rest of the scrubs.
My bad, double post.

Link?

Big Ben 66.8
Ryan 77.9
Favre 71.7

Are you that stubborn? Did you not read my post about Ryan having a 108 rating against the Saints? Meaning that Alex DID NOT have a better rating than him. Meaning that your argument is NOT ACCURATE. Or did you just choose to ignore that b/c it doesn't meet your agenda?

I'm sure that if Smith had the luxury of a second game against the Saints he would have had a much higher rating. Once again, Smith had a higher rating in his game against the Saints than one of Ryan's game, Ben's game and Brett's game. Brett will be in the Hall of Fame, Ben will either be in the Hall of Fame or in prison, and Ryan? Who knows. So Smith, being a clean cut guy will likely be in the Hall of Fame.

Seriously, you said all his good games were against bad teams and that would be logical seeing how the 9ers were a bad team, but it turns out that his game against the good defense of NO was supperior to better rated QBs with better teams. Why do you insist this is not relevant? Are you so biased against Smith that you just can't say one thing positive?

Lastly, I think Smith has had a raw deal, but I have never said (seriously) that Smith is a great QB or that he will be. He might be a good QB with proper coaching and a good team. If Harbaugh keeps him I hope he becomes a super bowl winning QB...year after year after year! Why? Because I am a 9er fan.
Ok, I'm tired of arguing with you. I'll give Smith that 'good' game against a good defense. Okay? Now he has 1 good game against a good defense the past year, and that is it. Does that really prove your point? One good game against a good D? Is that what we're expecting out of 'Mr.#1 overall pick franchise QB' Alex Smith? Really?!

Really?!
Ok, I'm tired of arguing with you. I'll give Smith that 'good' game against a good defense. Okay? Now he has 1 good game against a good defense the past year, and that is it. Does that really prove your point? One good game against a good D? Is that what we're expecting out of 'Mr.#1 overall pick franchise QB' Alex Smith? Really?!

Really?!

not bad against eagles, did good aginst oakland and also the pantehrs he did good and they had a top 10 pass D

but in all fairness against 2 of the great D (chargers and chiefs) he did pretty poor but then again most qbs did
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Really?!

not bad against eagles, did good aginst oakland and also the pantehrs he did good and they had a top 10 pass D

but in all fairness against 2 of the great D (chargers and chiefs) he did pretty poor but then again most qbs did

ANd how many of those were wins?

Really?!

i understand wins are the most important stat but we were talking about how well the qb did i just did some research and i see that every1 wants kevin kolb or palmer

in games started last 2 years
kolb was 4-6
alex was 9-12
palmer was 14-18

Really?!

i understand wins are the most important stat but we were talking about how well the qb did i just did some research and i see that every1 wants kevin kolb or palmer

kolb was 4-6
alex was 9-12
palmer was 14-18

First of all, Alex was 8-13, and which means that Kolb has a higher winning percentage than him. LMAO. fail.

Really?!

Well, we argued about that game and you finally admitted he played well, so--now the next game...and only fifty or so to go! My point has been that he does have talent, just not consistently productive. With Harbaugh coaching him perhaps he would reach a higher threshold and become a good or really good QB.

Really?!

Well, we argued about that game and you finally admitted he played well, so--now the next game...and only fifty or so to go! My point has been that he does have talent, just not consistently productive. With Harbaugh coaching him perhaps he would reach a higher threshold and become a good or really good QB.

You could say that any bad QB is inconsistent. Even the s**tty ones play well at times, thats why they're NFL QBs. I'd rather have Harbaugh develop someone else than someone in the 7th year.

The main reason I do not want him is b/c of his lack or natural instincts and intangibles. you cannot coach leadership, pocket presence, clutch play, etc...You just can't. The guy never uses a f**king pump fake, never moves a defender with his eyes. You just can't teach these things. And the thing that f**king pisses me off about Smith is that supposedly he is athletic and mobile, but he never uses it. Whenever he rolls out, he doesn't ever run upfield. Instead he throws it out of bounds.

Face it. Smith sucks. I don't enjoy bashing him, b/c all it means is that the #1 pick QB of my favorite team in all of sports didn't pan out. It doesn't make me happy t point out his suckishness. It makes me angry b/c if he was a good QB today I'd be happier than anyone else. Us 'Alex haters' aren't really haters, we're just realists. We're just calling it like is, and like all the other analysts and people around the league. But for some reason people on here like to make excuses and hang their hopes onto a guy who has never done anything significant for their beloved team.

"No excuses, just results"

Really?!

kolb was 4-6
alex was 9-12
palmer was 14-18

First of all, Alex was 8-13, and which means that Kolb has a higher winning percentage than him. LMAO. fail.

ok even if he was thats not the point im trying to make kolb had better coaching better weapons and were willing to trade a high round pick for what 1 extra win eventhough he was on a better team?
Share 49ersWebzone