LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by pigskin:

Oh you mean the "Alex is our leader" talk? C'mon dude...that's all player speak. He's not a leader, and you know this.

I say he's developed because he's developed bad habits. I don't watch him play and think...wow, he's raw. I think that about Troy. But I don't think that when I watch Alex, Carr, etc. I see guys who were already developed (you can blame it on poor coaching if you want) and are at the stage where they can't be told to un-learn everything they've been taught since College. Carr and Alex hear footsteps...that can never be changed.

Good point!

Alex has the tools. It is obvious. But he may have been scr*wed for good. The biggest mistake in my mind is not coaching, but rather getting him on the field way too soon with a sh*t lineup. Then repeat year after year.

I think the problem is they completely misjudged his capabilities. Rodgers was always the guy who could start now...but Alex had the higher QB IQ. I never heard any of this "project" talk until now. If Alex was a project then he should not have been taken 1st pick overall. That's besides the point though. He did start with a crappy team, now that he has weapons he's put up better numbers. But maybe this is his ceiling? I guess we'll see if Harbaugh brings him back.

u didnt hear till now alex was a project qb?

Quote:
Smith will not likely see much playing time as a rookie and that should play into the 49ers hands just fine. Expect the 49ers to go with Tim Rattay this year, and develop Smith to into an NFL starter at a slow and steady pace. It may take a year or possibly two to cultivate Smith into an NFL starter but lets face it, Smith is Mike Nolan's and the 49ers guy for the long haul.

also i noticed that from reading his draft anyalsis that he was built forWCO that ould be pretty intresting if he comes back

That was 6 year ago. It's easy to see after watching Smith play for 6 years that he is NOT a WCO QB. He is not very good at the short range passes, a must for the Wco. He's pretty good in the intermediate, 15-25 yard range, and not very good on the deep ball.

agreed but if im not mistaken(and i may be)WCO requires a lot of shotgun work where smith excells at

It depends. IIRC Shanahan's WCO doesn't, and Walsh disliked the shotgun. However Andy Reid will use it quit a bit at times in Philly I believe. It kind of depends on the play caller. But the shotgun isn't ideal in the wco because it throws off the timing of the routes since the QB isn't dropping back and reading the field.

But Alex is pretty good on some short passes. He led the league in throwing yards after catch or something like that, so you have to be pretty accurate to hit your WRs in stride and they can keep running. His problem isn't really accuracy, it's touch. Sometimes he throws the short passes way too hard.

Plus, he's pretty bad at hitting his receivers in stride. You can't be a WCO QB if you can't consistently be accurate on a slant. Remember, the plays in a WCO involve a ton of 3 step drops, so the receivers don't have much time to get open. This means that the QB has to be spot on accurate with his throws. I don't think Alex can do that. He would be pretty decent in an offense like the Colts because they really work that intermediate range a lot.

Actually, I recall Montana throwing over the middle low and without leading the WR as that could lead into a big hit. Many of the slants were designed for the WR to stop and receive the ball, and then have options as to running after the catch...to the open area. Running full speed through the middle of the D is a good way to get killed. Rice was a master at catching, juking and then excellerating. I believe this could be Crabtree's strength as well. The passes that should be in stride are more verticle.

I don't recall that.

LB

Dwight Clark interview years ago, talked about finding the open area and settling down-waiting for the ball. Montana became really adept at putting the ball low where the WR would be more protected, rather than high where the WR would need to be fully exposed. It was not a 100% thing, that would be impossible, but common enough to notice. WR appreciate the QB trying to protect them. Smith has improved in this area.

Oh you mean the "Alex is our leader" talk? C'mon dude...that's all player speak. He's not a leader, and you know this.

I say he's developed because he's developed bad habits. I don't watch him play and think...wow, he's raw. I think that about Troy. But I don't think that when I watch Alex, Carr, etc. I see guys who were already developed (you can blame it on poor coaching if you want) and are at the stage where they can't be told to un-learn everything they've been taught since College. Carr and Alex hear footsteps...that can never be changed.

Good point!

Alex has the tools. It is obvious. But he may have been scr*wed for good. The biggest mistake in my mind is not coaching, but rather getting him on the field way too soon with a sh*t lineup. Then repeat year after year.

I think the problem is they completely misjudged his capabilities. Rodgers was always the guy who could start now...but Alex had the higher QB IQ. I never heard any of this "project" talk until now. If Alex was a project then he should not have been taken 1st pick overall. That's besides the point though. He did start with a crappy team, now that he has weapons he's put up better numbers. But maybe this is his ceiling? I guess we'll see if Harbaugh brings him back.

Quote:
Smith will not likely see much playing time as a rookie and that should play into the 49ers hands just fine. Expect the 49ers to go with Tim Rattay this year, and develop Smith to into an NFL starter at a slow and steady pace. It may take a year or possibly two to cultivate Smith into an NFL starter but lets face it, Smith is Mike Nolan's and the 49ers guy for the long haul.

also i noticed that from reading his draft anyalsis that he was built forWCO that ould be pretty intresting if he comes back

That was 6 year ago. It's easy to see after watching Smith play for 6 years that he is NOT a WCO QB. He is not very good at the short range passes, a must for the Wco. He's pretty good in the intermediate, 15-25 yard range, and not very good on the deep ball.

agreed but if im not mistaken(and i may be)WCO requires a lot of shotgun work where smith excells at

It depends. IIRC Shanahan's WCO doesn't, and Walsh disliked the shotgun. However Andy Reid will use it quit a bit at times in Philly I believe. It kind of depends on the play caller. But the shotgun isn't ideal in the wco because it throws off the timing of the routes since the QB isn't dropping back and reading the field.

But Alex is pretty good on some short passes. He led the league in throwing yards after catch or something like that, so you have to be pretty accurate to hit your WRs in stride and they can keep running. His problem isn't really accuracy, it's touch. Sometimes he throws the short passes way too hard.

Plus, he's pretty bad at hitting his receivers in stride. You can't be a WCO QB if you can't consistently be accurate on a slant. Remember, the plays in a WCO involve a ton of 3 step drops, so the receivers don't have much time to get open. This means that the QB has to be spot on accurate with his throws. I don't think Alex can do that. He would be pretty decent in an offense like the Colts because they really work that intermediate range a lot.

Eh I don't agree with you that he can't hit guys in stride. He threw for the most or 2nd most yards after catch in the league. Your WRs aren't getting YAC if they're not catching the ball where they can run with it. His problem isn't accurate or ball placement on those throws, it was touch. He threw some of the ones that didn't get caught too hard. Also on some of the shorter routes there were communication mistakes between he and Crab that resulted in INTs. But other than that he wasn't bad. Remember, he led some pretty good drives down the field, he was just way too inconsistent. To start the game at ATL, multiple times vs NO, the whole game pretty much vs seattle(a few passes he got a ton of yards after the catch because he was hitting guys in stride) at home. He had some s**tty games too though for sure. I think he can do ok in the WCO. Like you, I think he'd be best in an offense like the colts where it's shotgun+intermediate routes a lot. He's worst in a coryell offense IMO now because his deep ball isn't where it used to be after the shoulder injury from 07 and 08.

It's like everything he doesn't do well, there's an excuse for it.

A guy with a career comp%

So getting every ligament in your throwing shoulder torn is an excuse dude? Are you high? In 2006 Norv said he had one of the best deep balls he's ever seen. Even niner4life21 remembers him hooking up with Antonio Bryant. s**t in the beginning of 2007 even though our offense was trash, I remember the comeback he led vs AZ in the first game, and he had a perfect pass that just went through Darrell Jackson's hands(AKA D-DROP), and then he connected on another long 1 to Battle that he fumbled at the 1. Then we won the game on an end around. After Rocky Bernard raped his arm he hasn't thrown the deep ball like that or as much. I mean dude, you're talking about a guy who was out of football for a year and a half pretty much because of that injury. It was a serious injury. I have subluxated my shoulder before and it's still not the same(tore the labrum and the subscapularis tendon). Now he had a 3rd degree seperation, which would be quite a bit worse and I believe is basically a complete dislocation of the shoulder. He also tore the 3 ligaments around it. So yeah, it is a reason for it to not be the same anymore.

I never said there was an excuse for why he throws the ball too hard on some short throws. You want to just generalize everything and it's not that simple. He also throws the ball too high at times because of the locked front leg which HAS to be fixed for him to ever play well. But I'm not making excuses for him. If you think that in pro sports everything that doesn't go right is just simply excuses, and there are no reasons, you've got no idea what you're talking about.

I also remember him underthrowing balls and Antonio throwing his arms up like at Alex like "wtf was that?"

What I was saying is he has poor accuracy. I don't care about his shoulder. He was inaccurate before the injury...He's also not the only Qb to have a serious injury to their arm/shoulder. I don't need a breakdown of the injury.

We're not talking about athletes, we're talking about Alex Smith and he seems to get a whole lot of excuses.

Other QB's just "suck" but Alex gets excuses for "sucking".

Good point!

Quote:

Actually, I recall Montana throwing over the middle low and without leading the WR as that could lead into a big hit. Many of the slants were designed for the WR to stop and receive the ball, and then have options as to running after the catch...to the open area. Running full speed through the middle of the D is a good way to get killed. Rice was a master at catching, juking and then excellerating. I believe this could be Crabtree's strength as well. The passes that should be in stride are more verticle.

I don't recall that.

LB

Dwight Clark interview years ago, talked about finding the open area and settling down-waiting for the ball. Montana became really adept at putting the ball low where the WR would be more protected, rather than high where the WR would need to be fully exposed. It was not a 100% thing, that would be impossible, but common enough to notice. WR appreciate the QB trying to protect them. Smith has improved in this area.

OK, I know that's true but I'm not sure they would be considered slants.

LB
  • dj43

Good point!

Quote:

I don't recall that.

LB

Good point about Clark and WRs finding open areas and settling down.

I blame a lot of the failure of the 49ers in this area on Jerry Sullivan and Pete Hoener. NONE of the current receiver group seem to understand how to do this with any consistency.
  • dj43

Good point!

Quote:

Since McCarthy left, none of the string of OCs use slant route much. With Martz it is almost non-existent. With Raye the "offense" was non-existent.

We really don't know what Smith and the offense can do with slant routes or "read" routes because we haven't seen them for 5 years.

Good point!

Too many things I disagree on here. It's strange because your previous posts made so much sense.

I didn't say Smith was a project. He was just not NFL ready. He also didn't have higher QB IQ but just IQ. And how can this be his ceiling? This statement counters to what you said earlier.

Good point!

Too many things I disagree on here. It's strange because your previous posts made so much sense.

I didn't say Smith was a project. He was just not NFL ready. He also didn't have higher QB IQ but just IQ. And how can this be his ceiling? This statement counters to what you said earlier.

The project talk was referring to someone here who said he was a "project". Who knows what his ceiling is? This could be as good as it gets.
Originally posted by dj43:

Good point!

Quote:

Since McCarthy left, none of the string of OCs use slant route much. With Martz it is almost non-existent. With Raye the "offense" was non-existent.

We really don't know what Smith and the offense can do with slant routes or "read" routes because we haven't seen them for 5 years.

Smith has accuracy problems on quick WR screens where he snaps the ball and immediately fires the ball towards the sidelines. If he cant be accurate with those, what makes you think he can be accurate with quick slants?
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Good point!

Quote:

Smith has accuracy problems on quick WR screens where he snaps the ball and immediately fires the ball towards the sidelines. If he cant be accurate with those, what makes you think he can be accurate with quick slants?

Once again, it depends on who is watching. I have seen very accurate throws on the quick reads, but have also seen throws with a hand in his face, being knocked down and where the receiver is in the wrong place...too far up the field, next to a DB. Too many variables to condemn his accuracy with a blanket statement. The accuracy on the quick slants is also connected to the receiver not looking for the ball, taking the route into coverage, and not finding the open space.

The WR screen depends on trust between QB and receiver and I haven't seen that between any current WR and Smith; just VD, Walker and Gore with Smith.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 18, 2011 at 7:59 AM ]
Still got faith in Smith.

• dj43

Good point!

Quote:

Once again, it depends on who is watching. I have seen very accurate throws on the quick reads, but have also seen throws with a hand in his face, being knocked down and where the receiver is in the wrong place...too far up the field, next to a DB. Too many variables to condemn his accuracy with a blanket statement. The accuracy on the quick slants is also connected to the receiver not looking for the ball, taking the route into coverage, and not finding the open space.

The WR screen depends on trust between QB and receiver and I haven't seen that between any current WR and Smith; just VD, Walker and Gore with Smith.
Bubble screens are also highly dependent on the play of the OT. On good teams, the OT will cut the outside D-lineman to give the QB a clear throwing lane. Watch the good teams like NO and GB and see how their offensive tackles create lanes. The 49er OL should watch teams like that to learn how it should be blocked.

Also, the play of the WRs has been poor on those screens. It appears they just have not been coached well on positioning. They should take one quick step forward and then drop back 3 yards to further create room to receive the pass. Instead, they often crowd the LOS leaving a very tiny window to complete the pass and even less room to maneuver to gain yardage. Poor coaching. Let's hope John Morton does a much better job.

Good point!

Quote:

Bubble screens are also highly dependent on the play of the OT. On good teams, the OT will cut the outside D-lineman to give the QB a clear throwing lane. Watch the good teams like NO and GB and see how their offensive tackles create lanes. The 49er OL should watch teams like that to learn how it should be blocked.

Also, the play of the WRs has been poor on those screens. It appears they just have not been coached well on positioning. They should take one quick step forward and then drop back 3 yards to further create room to receive the pass. Instead, they often crowd the LOS leaving a very tiny window to complete the pass and even less room to maneuver to gain yardage. Poor coaching. Let's hope John Morton does a much better job.

Dude, is there seriously an EXCUSE for EVERYTHING?!?!

Wow, just wow. When are you guys ever gonna hold him accountable for his mistakes?
  • dj43

Good point!

Quote:

Wow, just wow. When are you guys ever gonna hold him accountable for his mistakes?
I try to watch the entire game, not just the ball. When I do that I see how poorly coached this team has been the past 8 years. That poor coaching extends beyond Alex Smith. It includes ALL of the team. That is why the previous batch of coaches have all been fired.

If Nolan/Sing had been competent at all, they would still be here and Alex Smith would be gone. The fact that it is the other way around should be compelling.
Whatever man. I get where you're coming from, but usually, players who suck, just suck. That's that. But for some odd reason, Alex Smith, who sucks, is excused for his suckishness.

It's okay man. Bring on Alexcuse #563

Good point!

Quote:

Never... They will still be making excuses for him in year 10... He will lose this year and they will say stuff like he still learning the system... Year 8 it will be the OL fault again... Year 9 it will be fire Harbaugh ... Year 10... We have a new Coach... They bring Alex back.... The never ending cycle!
Share 49ersWebzone