LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

When they were at their peak as a Niner... who would you start and why?
Me
I personally would have Started Steve Bono over the other top choices Alex, Shaun, and Grbac. Bono was a winner when he had his chance. He went 5-1 as Montana and Young got hurt in 1991.

After Montana retired from the Chiefs Bono started and went 13-3 in 1995 and made the pro bowl.
Ty Detmer was a pretty good quarterback, but was small.

Bono was probably better than Grbac, and was the Chiefs starting QB for a little while, so I'd probably start Bono.

Wow, even our backup QB's were better than anything we have had recently.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Either Grbac or Bono. I thought we should have kept Grbac. Alex Smith leading this poll? Grbac was 40-30 as a starter and Bono 28-14, both made a pro bowl. How can you people pick Alex? You must be downing a case of whiskey before the games and watching them on a 6 inch 1950 black and white TV, that is the only way you couldn't see how inaccurate he is.
I wasn't around for the Bono/Grbac days, so I'd go with my boy Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by BobS:
Either Grbac or Bono. I thought we should have kept Grbac. Alex Smith leading this poll? Grbac was 40-30 as a starter and Bono 28-14, both made a pro bowl. How can you people pick Alex? You must be downing a case of whiskey before the games and watching them on a 6 inch 1950 black and white TV, that is the only way you couldn't see how inaccurate he is.

I'm telling you man, there is this very creepy man-love going on for Alex Smith around here. Very creepy.
Well if you go by that list of course its Alex Smith......maybe Rattay.
1. Grbac
2. Bono
3. Hill
4. Smith
5. Michael Robinson

Hill.
Doesn't Hill have a 10-6 record as a 49er starter?
I don't understand how anyone that has actually watched all those QBs play could not vote for Grbac. That guy won some HUGE games for us. Sure, he was no Steve Young, but he threw for 300+ yards and a few TDs on several occasions.

Bono was pretty good as well. But I feel like Grbac did more.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by BobS:

I'm telling you man, there is this very creepy man-love going on for Alex Smith around here. Very creepy.
Originally posted by E-49er:
I personally would have Started Steve Bono over the other top choices Alex, Shaun, and Grbac. Bono was a winner when he had his chance. He went 5-1 as Montana and Young got hurt in 1991.

After Montana retired from the Chiefs Bono started and went 13-3 in 1995 and made the pro bowl.

Yeah, I agree, Bono then Grbac. If free agency would have been around earlier in his career who knows how good he could have been. Elvis had some great years in KC as well. He had his best year under Jimmy Raye, so that is proof he had talent. What is up with that SF to KC QB pipeline that was there for a while? Joe, Steve Bono, then Elvis Grbac? It's kind of funny to think about now.
Share 49ersWebzone