There are 220 users in the forums

As years go on, Super Bowl time grows more depressing for Niner Fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Considering we were supposed to be a dark horse SB contender this year, it makes it a little worse. :(

That horse must have been dark as s**t.

I don't know about you, but the only time my s**t has been really dark is when there was something abnormal going on in my bowels. Maybe you should see a doctor to get that checked out.

Joking... I assume it was a random expletive and not an analogy.

My expletives are never arbitrary.

And does anyone else find it funny that NinerPrideinNJ started a thread lacking pride in the Niners?
At least I can watch and root for Rodgers....even though we lost him, I have got to stand by the guy from Northern California (Chico, Butte JC, and Berkeley).

I really wish he was wearing a different uniform.
unfortunately, the NFL Drafts are our Super Bowls now
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
It's gotten easier for me. Especially right now, I'm at peace.

You can actually see our foundation being built right now.
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
I'm going to spend the day crying into the worn remains of my 1989 NFC championship shirt and pissing myself in sorrow.

In reality I still feel pretty damn proud of our 9ers legacy. We will be back; and then you will all use this dark period you endured as proof of your true fandom. You can tell all the noobs in 5 years how they are not real fans because they don't know who cody picket was or chris wienke......you're going to love it.

This is why I say anybody who cares enough to stick around the webzone through all this is by default a true fan. Even if they say crazy s**t like "I hope we lose!" or "I hope Alex breaks his other shoulder!", etc.

The only people around here now are true fans who love the 49ers. We all deal with 'grief' differently, so let them rant in peace.

Props to all you 'newbies' who weren't around for the golden years, but still love the team and stick with them through these hard times. I salute you!

Yeah it sucks,and every year I hate the rest of the teams in the nfl more and more.Because it feels like all other teams, minus a few can turn their programs around, or are just always good.

But I really believe this coaching staff is gonna be legit and we're gonna tear it up again like we use to,Jimmy h is gonna do it.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
I'm going to spend the day crying into the worn remains of my 1989 NFC championship shirt and pissing myself in sorrow.

In reality I still feel pretty damn proud of our 9ers legacy. We will be back; and then you will all use this dark period you endured as proof of your true fandom. You can tell all the noobs in 5 years how they are not real fans because they don't know who cody picket was or chris wienke......you're going to love it.

This is why I say anybody who cares enough to stick around the webzone through all this is by default a true fan. Even if they say crazy s**t like "I hope we lose!" or "I hope Alex breaks his other shoulder!", etc.

The only people around here now are true fans who love the 49ers. We all deal with 'grief' differently, so let them rant in peace.

Props to all you 'newbies' who weren't around for the golden years, but still love the team and stick with them through these hard times. I salute you!

so very true
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

I really feel for any Niner fan that is younger than 20. The faint memories of the Steve Young era, and the crystal clear gruesome memories of the Donahue/John York/Nolan disaster.

While it blows to be pushing 50, I am fortunate that I was able to grow up and celebrate the legacy as it happened.

I just hope are young Niner fans are here speaking like I am today in 30 years of the return to glory, the new legacy that the new regime has brought in.

[ Edited by KezarLivin on Feb 6, 2011 at 13:02:47 ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Considering we were supposed to be a dark horse SB contender this year, it makes it a little worse. :(

That horse must have been dark as s**t.

I don't know about you, but the only time my s**t has been really dark is when there was something abnormal going on in my bowels. Maybe you should see a doctor to get that checked out.

Joking... I assume it was a random expletive and not an analogy.

And does anyone else find it funny that NinerPrideinNJ started a thread lacking pride in the Niners?

I never lack pride in my team. You're talking to a guy who's flown across country in both the past 2 seasons on a very limited budget to watch the team I live for. My post is not about lacking pride, I rep the 49ers each and every day here in Jersey and I have been since I was 7. I was simply stating how it's tough to watch all these other teams in the postseason and superbowl year after year. If I didn't have pride, I wouldn't care.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It doesn't bug me so long as the opponents are quality. But if Seattle had somehow made it in I might be on suicide watch.

Agree. It will be a good game today.

I'm pumped. The Superbowl is still the pinnacle of the greatest sport on Earth, whether or not the 49ers are in it (obviously WAY better if they are).

But... If you really thought the 49ers were getting to the Superbowl this year then I can see why you're depressed.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
The SuperBowl does seem almost impossible for the Niners to get to in my head. I know it's possible, but it just seems so distant and far away. I became a fan in 2004, so I have been accustomed to losing only.

But, did anyone think the Saints would have won the big game 5 years ago? Nope.

To you, NinerPrideinNJ, and all those who never truly experienced the greatness of the 49ers legacy, all I can say is... you kick ass.

We'll get there again.

I'm not saying it'll be now... but, I'm hopeful. As illogical as it is, some of the parallels between now and the start of our dynasty are too coincidental for me to ignore....

Dick Nolan was the Head Coach three seasons before Bill Walsh became Head Coach. Dick's son Mike was the Head Coach pretty damn close to three years before Jim Harbaugh was hired.

Dick Nolan was the defensive coordinator for Tom Landry in Dallas before he was the Head Coach here starting in '68. He developed the defense and gave Brodie more weapons and had some real success. When Brodie retired, Dick was run out of town ('75) because he couldn't develop a quarterback. He had Steve Spurrier (third overall pick in '67) on the roster his entire time with the 49ers. Not identical, but similar enough to be weird.

The team had a new young (31) owner, Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., in 1977 who's father bought the team and gave it to him. Uncle Eddie hired a successful college Head Coach from Stanford in 1979... Bill Walsh. Jed York was basically given the team at a very young age (28, I think), he is technically the President of the 49ers and not the owner... weird anyway. Jed has been the President of the 49ers for 2 years, I believe... now he has hired a successful college Head Coach from Stanford.

I'm sure we've gone over the parallels between Jim Harbaugh and Bill Walsh enough that I don't need to explain that one.

It's all just very weird.

Weird, I say!

Now just enjoy the Super Bowl.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Hmm... maybe there is a correlation with the tickle in your pants.... Ask a doctor.

You are also displaying an unusual lack of empathy by pointing out that irony. Maybe that's a new symptom... must find Dr. House now.

Do we need lubrication?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone find super bowl time more and more difficult to endure during this long stretch of darkness that's consumed our beloved franchise for the past 8 years.

Forget the past 8 years, that was merely our last playoff appearance. We haven't been to the Super Bowl in 16 years! With us being in the doldrums though, I almost even lose sight that the Super Bowl is an attainable goal for this squad. Every year I just pray for a simple playoff appearance. Super Bowl? That seems like something foreign to us fans nowadays.

Not much of a point to this post, just looking to see if others felt the same way. Especially ones like me who were too young (I'm 25) to revel in the glory years.

I had one Super Bowl (I was 9 years old at the time) to enjoy. Unfortunately, you don't appreciate virtually anything about it when you're that young.

Thank God the West Coast offense is coming back. Let's get us a QB, OLB and CB and make a run goddammit!

Not a good feeling these past several years but there are fans who've suffered much worse than us-their teams have NEVER won a SINGLE SB
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It doesn't bug me so long as the opponents are quality. But if Seattle had somehow made it in I might be on suicide watch.

Agree. It will be a good game today.

I'm pumped. The Superbowl is still the pinnacle of the greatest sport on Earth, whether or not the 49ers are in it (obviously WAY better if they are).

But... If you really thought the 49ers were getting to the Superbowl this year then I can see why you're depressed.

Absolutely. Just because the Niner's haven't sniffed the big game in ages is no reason to not enjoy the greatest game of the greatest sport. I actually used to enjoy Superbowls less when we just missed out from going. The 1991 Bills-Giants Superbowl in Tampa was excruciating to watch.
Actually, Super Bowl time is a great time to be a Niner fan. For those of us who grew up during the dynasty, it is great time to relive some really good times. For those Niner fans who did not get to experience it, it is good to see the magic that this organization is trying to recapture. I put in the DVD of the Dolphins Superbowl last night and enjoyed every minute of it.
Share 49ersWebzone