There are 179 users in the forums

Cool Read i wanted to share

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/32666/page/espntexas/what-happened-to-the-flagship-49ers-2

here is a cool read i found on ESPN and fans opinion on why we havent posted a winnind record since 2002.
I never understood why Mariucci was fired.
What caught my eye was Jerry Rice telling the world what I've been telling this board, that the 49er players don't like Alex Smith and don't believe they can win with him.

According to Sando, "Rice thinks the quarterback issue is even bigger now than when he played, because players are less apt to rally around a lesser one. "

The quote from Rice: "But with the guys today...if they feel you are not capable of doing it, they are not going to waste their time. You are done. It's a whole different generation of guys. I'm not saying they don't love the game, but I could tell with the Niners that they did not feel confident that this guy was the leader and they could win games with him."

People kept telling me that I was full of it .... .

But when the G.O.A.T. is saying it??

You gotta take note of the G.O.A.T.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
What caught my eye was Jerry Rice telling the world what I've been telling this board, that the 49er players don't like Alex Smith and don't believe they can win with him.

According to Sando, "Rice thinks the quarterback issue is even bigger now than when he played, because players are less apt to rally around a lesser one. "

The quote from Rice: "But with the guys today...if they feel you are not capable of doing it, they are not going to waste their time. You are done. It's a whole different generation of guys. I'm not saying they don't love the game, but I could tell with the Niners that they did not feel confident that this guy was the leader and they could win games with him."

That says it all right there. I hope Harbaugh read it, too. Guys like A. Smith, Rattay, Dorsey, Pickett, Dilfer, etc. aren't elite QBs or even good QBs that started for us since Garcia left, they're average or below. IMO, S. Hill out-performed them all and he was above-average QB, but not our long-term answer either. If somehow Harbaugh lands a vet and drafts the best QB, it would make a world of difference in our offensive performance for years.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:

Mariucci was fired because he wanted more say in personnel matters, and Donahue didn't want to relinquish any of that power. So, he convinced York to fire Mariucci. The big thing for coaches at that time was to have the title of GM/Head Coach, e.g. Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Bill Parcells, and Jon Gruden.

Donahue got scared for his job, and sent Mariucci packing to save it. Then they brought in Yes-Man Dennis Erickson who didn't question any of Donahue's disasterous personnel decisions. One that stands out for me is trading down in the first round of the to get Rashaun Woods, and passing up on the likes of Vince Wilfork and Stephen Jackson (I believe they were in the same draft; but, I could be wrong.) We all know how well that turned out for the 49ers.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:

Mariucci was fired because he wanted more say in personnel matters, and Donahue didn't want to relinquish any of that power. So, he convinced York to fire Mariucci. The big thing for coaches at that time was to have the title of GM/Head Coach, e.g. Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Bill Parcells, and Jon Gruden.

Donahue got scared for his job, and sent Mariucci packing to save it. Then they brought in Yes-Man Dennis Erickson who didn't question any of Donahue's disasterous personnel decisions. One that stands out for me is trading down in the first round of the to get Rashaun Woods, and passing up on the likes of Vince Wilfork and Stephen Jackson (I believe they were in the same draft; but, I could be wrong.) We all know how well that turned out for the 49ers.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

As I recall it also involved an embarrassing late night (possible drunken) phone call from York after the Tampa Loss in the play offs. A knee jerk reaction to a devastating loss from a Tampa team that crushed the Raiders in the Superbowl.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Other than firing Steve Marucci, they messed up again when Singleterry got the job and they let go of Martz as the Offensive Coordinator, that led to the hiring of Jimmy Raye.

Do I like our owners no, but hopefully Jed does everything he can to return this team to it's winning ways.
There were rumors of Mariucci was talking to Notre Dame for theor HC job and using that as leverage to ask for more control of personnel decisions.

Walsh hand picked Donahue as a successor to the GM role. Trained him as such, but I think Walsh overestimated Donahue's commitment to the job and eyes for talent. We had just gotten out of a salary cap hell period so he was more into keeping the guys we have and add from the draft. The problem was our talent base was only average to good. Then there were some good players from the draft but none of them are standouts other than Julian Peterson that I can remember.

They were willing to go with Rattay to replace outgoing Garcia Had they tried to keep Garcia, draft a qb and develop him, this team may be in very different situation the last 8 years.
It's been a LONG time coming, but its all good now!

I just feel that the Niner's are finally on the right track with the hiring of Harbaugh.

And Baakle. Although there is a bit of a question mark here because of his connection with the previous regime and their ineptitude at talent evaluation. However, personally, I am willing to cut some slack here because I am hoping that (i) he does not have so big of an EGO (Nolan, Singletary ) that he will not learn from his mistakes, and (ii) his influence was being suppressed by those he worked under (Singletary and McClougan ) and now on his own he can shine.

Certainly Baalke is saying all the right things: Need for QB, OLB. Need for playing with confidence, etc.

We can forget the transgressions of the last six years because they have all led to NOW. I would not be as pleased if we had limped along with moderate success under Nolan or Singletary's leadership. I just COULD NOT get behind those guys.

Right NOW, the Niner's, for me at least, have not felt so "right" since during the George Seifert (sp?) days.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

I just feel that the Niner's are finally on the right track with the hiring of Harbaugh.

And Baakle. Although there is a bit of a question mark here because of his connection with the previous regime and their ineptitude at talent evaluation. However, personally, I am willing to cut some slack here because I am hoping that (i) he does not have so big of an EGO (Nolan, Singletary ) that he will not learn from his mistakes, and (ii) his influence was being suppressed by those he worked under (Singletary and McClougan ) and now on his own he can shine.

Certainly Baalke is saying all the right things: Need for QB, OLB. Need for playing with confidence, etc.

We can forget the transgressions of the last six years because they have all led to NOW. I would not be as pleased if we had limped along with moderate success under Nolan or Singletary's leadership. I just COULD NOT get behind those guys.

Right NOW, the Niner's, for me at least, have not felt so "right" since during the George Seifert (sp?) days.
I agree with all the "feel good" stuff. However, we still need to be somewhat restrained in our hopes for the upcoming season. This team still have major needs and will be playing a very difficult schedule. It will be like the first 6 games of last season all the way through. The team could be 30% improved and still go 6-10.

I don't mean to be Negative Nancy here but that is the reality. We will have a re-tread QB and some rookies in key positions all learning new systems on both sides of the ball...and likely missing a great deal of off-season learning time due to the CBA situation. It is a "perfect storm" for a team that has will need more time, not less, to fit all the pieces together.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Just watch people on this site will start dissing the GOAT because he has spoken negatively about the chosen one.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

I agree with all the "feel good" stuff. However, we still need to be somewhat restrained in our hopes for the upcoming season. This team still have major needs and will be playing a very difficult schedule. It will be like the first 6 games of last season all the way through. The team could be 30% improved and still go 6-10.

I don't mean to be Negative Nancy here but that is the reality. We will have a re-tread QB and some rookies in key positions all learning new systems on both sides of the ball...and likely missing a great deal of off-season learning time due to the CBA situation. It is a "perfect storm" for a team that has will need more time, not less, to fit all the pieces together.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you at all there.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm just saying that the team may finally be in good hands now for the LONG RUN.

The foundation is there.

PS: BTW certainly with no preseason it's going to be a huge struggle. But if there is a full preseason and TC, I'd expect, and I don't believe that it's unrealistic to expect, an IMMEDIATE improvement over last season.

Your talking about filling holes? Which team doesn't have "holes"? Nothing is ever perfect. Packers lost 15 starters this season?! That's not a gigantic hole? Our biggest hole is at QB, but that has got to be better next year. And then . . . let's go!!
Originally posted by susweel:

Just watch people on this site will start dissing the GOAT because he has spoken negatively about the chosen one.

Great. It must be a slow offseason, cause you guys are doing a preemptive cross argument about A.Smith

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by susweel:

Great. It must be a slow offseason, cause you guys are doing a preemptive cross argument about A.Smith

Dudes

The present is full of hope for the 49ers. Can't we put the sterile, used-up arguments about Smith JTO and all the rest of it behind us? Unless of course somebody has something new to say on the subject that hasn't been said 30,001 times before, of course?

Look forwards
Originally posted by GORO:
Other than firing Steve Marucci, they messed up again when Singleterry got the job and they let go of Martz as the Offensive Coordinator, that led to the hiring of Jimmy Raye.

Do I like our owners no, but hopefully Jed does everything he can to return this team to it's winning ways.

Yep.....should never had gotten rid of Martz.
Share 49ersWebzone